Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Informing insurance after accident

Options
  • 22-10-2017 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

My wife was involved in a small accident late last week, owner of other admitted liability immediately, garda took a statement aswell stating to that. It was fairly clear cut.

I have already contacted their insurance company and they are accepting liability aswell on her behalf, so things should run smooth.

One question she has, is that she needs to contact her own insurance company tomorrow in order to transfer the insurance from her car to a hire car for a few days, while the work is being done.

She is wondering does she have to inform her own ins company of the accident?

Concern is that even if she does and she has the liability confirmed from other driver, that at some point it might penalize her when renewing her own policy. It shouldn't right? You are always asked on renewal if you were involved in an accident in the last 5yrs, so technically she will be but not her fault

However if she doesn't report it, they could find out about it through a database? Is this possible?

My assumption is that it shouldn't effect her renewal premiums going forward as she wasn't in the wrong but just looking for a bit of guidance

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Can't see how they would penalise her considering she isn't claiming from them and both the insurance company of the person responsible and the police have it down as their fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

I had to do it in 2015 when a driver did a hit and run on me.

I got the reg and had to wait 12 months to get the insurance details when the driver was prosecuted in court.

Long story short, after telling my insurance company, it didn't impact on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Concern is that even if she does and she has the liability confirmed from other driver, that at some point it might penalize her when renewing her own policy. It shouldn't right? You are always asked on renewal if you were involved in an accident in the last 5yrs, so technically she will be but not her fault

I'd tend to agree. I know you are obliged to inform them but I think they will be happier not knowing. They will use your shoe size and hair colour to increase your premium these days so they surely will if you've been in an accident, even if you weren't at fault and even if they say it doesn't. Thats jusy my opinion.

You don't have to tell them what the temporary policy transfer is for. Some companies ask, some don't. If they do ask just say the car is in for a service and maintenance, they won't question it. What company are you insured with? Some don't even require a phone call anymore, you get 7 days automatic courtesy car cover with Aviva, Axa and Allianz so nobody will be asking anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,252 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

As per most insurance policies they advise you inform them of any involvement in an accident whether a claim is being made on your policy or not. As there is no claim being made against your wife's policy then she should have nothing to worry about but she does need to inform them so that it can be recorded in the event the other party decides to make a counter claim.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

She should have informed her insureance regardless Incase there is any dodgy stuff down the line. Won’t affect her policy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Funmum05

My car was involved in an accident last year. I did inform my insurance company but they informed me as its No Blame (i think thats what they called it) I didn't have to actually inform them. They did feck up and mark a claim on my policy stating no blame so I had to have it removed. It had no effect on my insurance premium or my NCB. I have since changed insurance and didn't inform them of the accident as per the advice of the other company and the accident has not shown up when they did a check on me. It did show up however, when my husband changed last Jan but thats because it had not been removed from my insurance policy.. He explained it to the insurance company and they marked him as having no accident. Your wife should be fine but on renewal just double check her policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Inform your insurer. Despite the folklore often cited here, it won't affect your premium the following year. Also, you are obliged to disclose to potential insurers going forward that you did have an accident. That doesn't change because you weren't liable. Again, it shouldn't affect matters

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

great thanks for the info, I've mentioned to her she should inform them

At moment there is no contest, both she and her ins company have accepted liability. Strange thing was she wasn't in the car when it happened. Parked it up, on a slight incline, walked away and electronic handbrake appears to have failed and rolled out onto the main street

Its a new one to me so we're hoping that it will go smooth, however speaking to the other drivers ins company they are saying they feel its a handbrake failure but accepting the liability. I guess its up to them then to chase the manufacturer if it was under warranty. She only had the car a few weeks so presume it has some warranty even though its not new

Thanks again

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'd never rely 100% on the handbrake. Always leave it in gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

While it's better to be upfront .What happens if you don't disclose a 'no fault' accident?

• Advertisement

Staph wrote:
    While it's better to be upfront .What happens if you don't disclose a 'no fault' accident?

Probably nothing. But do you want to break a specific policy condition because some lad on the internet said it was OK?

I've never seen an insurer penalise a policyholder for a claim fully settled against a 3rd party

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

I totally agree, you are better off declaring everything. I was just wondering what are the repercussions are. As it seems to not impact your premium, but they want to know. Is it to do with tracking people who seem to have multiple 'no blame/fault' accidents and claims?

An Insurer relies on you telling them all the facts. If they can't trust you, they could cancel your policy or price you to bog off at renewal.

Advertisement