Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stand Mixer

Options
  • 22-10-2017 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My 13 year old daughter is into cooking and baking in particular.

ATM we only have a stand mixer so I was thinking of getting her a stand mixer for her upcoming birthday and see that Aldi are advertising this stand mixer for €199 on sale next Sunday.

AmbianoRedPremiumStandMixerA1508676707.jpg

I haven't a clue about this sort of equipment so I'm looking for some advice.

Is the €199 Aldi mixer good value for money or is it a bit OTT?

Would I be better off getting something like this Morphy Richards mixer which is half the price?

81BRRuYgV1L1508676849.jpg

Or this Savisto 1260W mixer?

71sOrevovAL1508677070.jpg

There must be a reason the Aldi mixer is €199 but I just can't see it!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

Don't get the middle one anyway, I'd be going for one with one big whisk.

If you're spending 200 I'd be inclined to go for entry level Kenwood, not as pretty but I would imagine a better machine and easily fixable, parts are readily available, the basic model is usually on sale somewhere for less than 200.

The bowl on the Savisto (which looks like a lovely machine) is very big for the average batch of buns or similar.

She doesn't really need the high power if it's only for herself unless you are using it as a family baking machine too then you might get use out of serious power for bread making or very large batches of mix.

Lidl one is coming with lots of attachments which probably accounts for higher price, sausage maker etc, will you ever use that? It's also pretty which no doubt ups the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Psychologeeee

+1 on a Kenwood- She will still have it for her 30th birthday because they last forever! Kenwood Chef Premier is a good entry level one, I recently saw them reduced to around 120 in Harvey Norman. I'd get one of those and then use your leftover cash for some good quality baking tins/wilton icing nozzles etc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I'll add my +1 for the Kenwood, too. I've had mine for years now, it gets lots of use and is still going as strong as on the day I got it.
    I would suggest to get her one that has a food processor as well - mine sits on top of the stand mixer, and is used regularly for making shortcrust pastry, grating or slicing fruit, etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

My vote goes to Kenwood too, mine is almost 35 years old. Arnotts have a home clearance event on. According to the email it's ending tonight but there's free delivery too. Some lovely entry level mixers there: http://www.arnotts.ie/search/?q=kenwood+mixer&lang=en_IE

Disclaimer: I don't work for Arnotts, I just always mention them when people are looking for appliances because they so often have real bargains :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Psychologeeee

My vote goes to Kenwood too, mine is almost 35 years old. Arnotts have a home clearance event on. According to the email it's ending tonight but there's free delivery too. Some lovely entry level mixers there: http://www.arnotts.ie/search/?q=kenwood+mixer&lang=en_IE

Disclaimer: I don't work for Arnotts, I just always mention them when people are looking for appliances because they so often have real bargains :pac:

There's a Kenwood Classic Chef for 179 on there....BARGAIN!

• Advertisement

That model is always available for less than 200, I'd feel sorry for anyone who paid that full price because it's always on special somewhere at the lower price, it's clearly the proper price of the machine rather than a reduction at all! That said it's a fine machine for the lower price.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭54and56

Any reason not to save €50 and go with this one?

RedProsperoMixerKm2411508936894.jpg

The €50 saved could be used to buy a meat mincing attachment for the mixer!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I can't see any reason not to :)

Looks perfectly suitable for a 13 yr old, smaller bowl so more practical.

Not sure if she'd get much use out of a mincer though :) I bought one years ago and gave it away last year, only used it a couple of times, couldn't stand the icky meaty bits that got stuck in the plates, impossible to clean.

phormium wrote: »
    Looks perfectly suitable for a 13 yr old, smaller bowl so more practical.

Not sure if she'd get much use out of a mincer though :) I bought one years ago and gave it away last year, only used it a couple of times, couldn't stand the icky meaty bits that got stuck in the plates, impossible to clean.

The mincer would be for me to make lamb mince for burgers and other lamb mince dishes plus goofing around trying out my own flavoured pork sausages etc. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Aldi one has a 3 year warranty, might be worth considering, Ive never had any probs with their stuff like this, and plenty of "free" attachments

vicwatson wrote: »
    Aldi one has a 3 year warranty, might be worth considering, Ive never had any probs with their stuff like this, and plenty of "free" attachments

I'm a big Aldi fan and love their food and "special" products, rarely have a problem of any sort but this detailed review really put me off :(

Read the review, noisy machine would put me off but that's me! I find the noise of the Kitchenaid much less offensive to my ears than my Kenwood which lives in the utility room because of the noise it makes.

But as for whipping one egg white I don't think any stand mixer does that well, no whisk gets right to the bottom of the bowl, you can adjust them to get them closer to bottom but realistically one egg white is tiny. Also I wouldn't dream of bothering with something so tiny in a stand mixer, that's what I would be pulling out the hand held yoke for. I have two stand mixers and if I was making a half dozen buns I would use the hand mixer.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭lenscap

Maybe slightly off topic but regarding the mincer. I have a 33 year old Kenwood with a mincer attachment and when I first used it I found it a pain to clean and it kept clogging up with stringy pieces of meat.

Solution is to mince only very chilled meat. Never had the problem again and it was so easy to clean, just use a washup brush to clean the mesh plate.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Any advice for the best kenwood to get in current trade in promotion, making them similar price here or cheaper than online.

The titanium chef, kvc7300s specifically is what I am thinking of
    http://www.kenwoodworld.com/uk/products/food-mixers/chef-major/titanium-kvc7300s-0w20011155

It's 450gbp on amazon, 499€ locally wth the trade in. Seems like a good price, any of the experts on here know of a reason not to go with it? Is there new models coming out hence promotion etc?

We probably don't need the higher end model, but as it's a once of special birthday present leaning toward it. Not seeing any obvious package deals for units that come with all attachments for instance?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,073 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

For only a few hundred more go for the new "must have" as seen on Nigella. A thing of beauty indeed. I will also be getting the see through toaster:)

http://www.goodhousekeeping.co.uk/food/food-news/nigella-lawson-copper-kitchen-aid-at-my-table

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

For only a few hundred more go for the new "must have" as seen on Nigella. A thing of beauty indeed. I will also be getting the see through toaster:)

http://www.goodhousekeeping.co.uk/food/food-news/nigella-lawson-copper-kitchen-aid-at-my-table

Gas really. Colour doesn't really matter to us though!

Advertisement