Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP Office jet saying I need to replace all cartridges to pint??

Options
  • 22-10-2017 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have an HP Officejet 6000 printer. It was out of ink so I decided to just buy a black ink cartridge as I had no need for colour and it was also the cheaper option.

When I go to print, a message appears saying I need to replace all cartridges in order to print something!?

Is there anyway to override this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Most printers are like that. Also printers will waste ink warming up if they have not been used in a while to prevent the cartridges from drying up. Well that's the marketing spiel! ;) Unless you can find a hacked firmware or printer diagnostics tool I doubt it would be possible to override this behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Danye

yoyo wrote: »
    Most printers are like that. Also printers will waste ink warming up if they have not been used in a while to prevent the cartridges from drying up. Well that's the marketing spiel! ;) Unless you can find a hacked firmware or printer diagnostics tool I doubt it would be possible to override this behaviour.

Thanks for your reply.

So I wasted money just buying a black ink cartridge. Great.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,036 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Danye wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply.

So I wasted money just buying a black ink cartridge. Great.

Don't feel too bad you are not alone.
    There are lots of stories online like this one - https://www.geek.com/tech/hp-screws-scores-of-customers-with-ink-cartridge-timebomb-1671409/

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You buy the printer at a loss, then get hammered for ink to recoup the costs. Thats the business models consumers bought into.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭irishgeo

jsut buy a black laser printer and be done with it

https://www.123ink.ie/Brother-HL-1110-Mono-Laser-Printer-HL1110RF1-i24412.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwg7HPBRDUARIsAMeR_0jpWmbdHV4eOGj1RHZ1WTpyk_efYmySit7Re-7TNPI8O470ks_OxRwaAlZbEALw_wcB

toner official one 80
    non official one 50

i did this ages ago and never looked back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

I encountered same problem with my Brother printer a few years back, I googled and found a website that told me that my cartridges were read my means of a light sensor, and that all I had to do was put black insulation tape on the corresponding part of my colour cartridges, to basically fool the sensor into believing the colour catridges were full. It worked.

Years later I'm still printing in just black.

Just google your printer make/model + block cartridge sensors with tape, or something similar.

Advertisement