Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tenant doesn't want to pay a bills

Options
  • 22-10-2017 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,
    I have uncomfortable situation with tenant with feels totally unpunished...

5 months ago we rent a apartment from agency, contract is for 6 months. Apartment sharing 3 persons. Now one tenant decide to move out and warned me that last rent payment will be used from deposit money with I totally didn't agree because -
    1) me and second tenant want to extend contract for next 6 months,
    2) this is breaking our contract with agency (all tree tenant sign the contract)
    3) due for rent 6 days
    4) damages in tenant room

It means that me and second tenant have to cover one extra rent from out pockets (all bills/rent is taken from my acc) as we extend contract so deposit stay in agency.
    I think this is disgusting move because looks like this tenant don't care about us if we have money to cover this rent.
    What is more disgusting tenant simply pack and run from apartment 3 days before rent should be paid.
    I went to agency but there is nothing what they can do (disappointment)
    We got the bills as well witch is 50euro a head I received only 25 witch message "25 is fair enough" -no comment...

I know that there is deposit witch will cover all of this but -where is our rights in this moment and what is contract made for? I feel cheated and I don't want to leave this without reaction such people playing dirty games and feel untouchable...

My question is what to do in this situation, witch institution can really help and give lesson to this person and others for a future?
    Is there any Court with is taking small cases like that? I don't want any compensation I would be very satisfied if that person will pay equivalent of monthly rent for charity.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Did all three of you sign the lease together?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 manumena

Yes all three.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

His deposit isn’t for the last months rent, he still owes that. Then he gets the deposit minus damages.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

His deposit isn’t for the last months rent, he still owes that. Then he gets the deposit minus damages.

And proper share of bills.

This whole 'last month is my deposit' lark- is complete nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

In fairness I've done the last-month-as-deposit thing in just about every place I've ever rented - I politely asked the landlord whether they would be willing to do so and they were always happy to, however if they'd said "no" then I wouldn't have demanded or expected it. It does seem to be pretty much the norm in my experience, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

manumena wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have uncomfortable situation with tenant with feels totally unpunished...

5 months ago we rent a apartment from agency, contract is for 6 months. Apartment sharing 3 persons. Now one tenant decide to move out and warned me that last rent payment will be used from deposit money with I totally didn't agree because -
    1) me and second tenant want to extend contract for next 6 months,
    2) this is breaking our contract with agency (all tree tenant sign the contract)
    3) due for rent 6 days
    4) damages in tenant room

It means that me and second tenant have to cover one extra rent from out pockets (all bills/rent is taken from my acc) as we extend contract so deposit stay in agency.
    I think this is disgusting move because looks like this tenant don't care about us if we have money to cover this rent.
    What is more disgusting tenant simply pack and run from apartment 3 days before rent should be paid.
    I went to agency but there is nothing what they can do (disappointment)
    We got the bills as well witch is 50euro a head I received only 25 witch message "25 is fair enough" -no comment...

I know that there is deposit witch will cover all of this but -where is our rights in this moment and what is contract made for? I feel cheated and I don't want to leave this without reaction such people playing dirty games and feel untouchable...

My question is what to do in this situation, witch institution can really help and give lesson to this person and others for a future?
    Is there any Court with is taking small cases like that? I don't want any compensation I would be very satisfied if that person will pay equivalent of monthly rent for charity.

Thank you

There's nothing you can do. Just consider yourself lucky that they have moved out and you can get a replacement. You've now found out what happens to a landlord when the tenant stops paying rent and damages the property.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

In fairness I've done the last-month-as-deposit thing in just about every place I've ever rented - I politely asked the landlord whether they would be willing to do so and they were always happy to, however if they'd said "no" then I wouldn't have demanded or expected it. It does seem to be pretty much the norm in my experience, though.

If you asked the landlord- and they were happy to do so- that is entirely different from assuming its a right- and leaving with damage to your room (as the OP has insinuated is the case with the person who is moving out). I have no idea what the damage is- however, it hasn't been rectified.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

This clown will need a landlord reference at some stage.

Explain the situation to the landlord and make sure he is aware before writing any reference.

There is really not much else you can do about him that won’t be just a waste of time and money

This clown will need a landlord reference at some stage.

Explain the situation to the landlord and make sure he is aware before writing any reference.

There is really not much else you can do about him that won’t be just a waste of time and money

Well I'm disappointed... this is actually sad that people like this, can do whatever they want without taking any responsibility.
    I know there is a much more situations and issues similar to mine. We all sign contracts with end of the day means nothing...just wasted piece of paper.

I have a little idea how to fight with such people, and solve the problem I just need some information about personal data protection.

Thanks for help to everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If the lease involved joint and several liability then as far as the landlord is concerned, all of you are on the hook for the rent. It's up to you, the group of tenants, to work it out amongst yourselves.

Get a new tenant in ASAP and get the rent flowing again as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Will a third of the lease need to be reassigned, or will the new body be a licensee of the sitting tenants?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

Del2005 wrote: »
    There's nothing you can do. Just consider yourself lucky that they have moved out and you can get a replacement. You've now found out what happens to a landlord when the tenant stops paying rent and damages the property.

Why even bother responding if you're not offering advice and just hijacking the thread to moan about the plight of the poor long-suffering landlord?

OP, did you receive the keys to the property when he ran out or does the former tenant still have them? Because you need to inform your landlord if he didn't return the keys. You need to make sure he doesn't have any more access to the property. Keep an eye out for any post that comes addressed to him and then text him with an offer to send it to his new address. If he's dumb enough to give you his new address you can then go after him through a small claims court if you wish.

OP, did you receive the keys to the property when he ran out or does the former tenant still have them? Because you need to inform your landlord if he didn't return the keys. You need to make sure he doesn't have any more access to the property.
    No I didn't receive keys.
    The explanation from tenant was: "I spend my money to copy them"
    I informed landlord about that.
    I'm not sure but maybe I should go to Garda? I don't want that stranger have access to my apartment...
    Keep an eye out for any post that comes addressed to him and then text him with an offer to send it to his new address. If he's dumb enough to give you his new address you can then go after him through a small claims court if you wish.
    I know where this person is working and I know where parents live. As I know tenant lives there temporarily at the moment.
    you can then go after him through a small claims court if you wish.
    TY!
    Thank you very much :) this is the information I was looking for.

I will return here and let you know how it ended.

Thanks again for help

Unfortunately the ‘Small Claims Court’ (which is not actually a court) will not entertain your claim.

You can go to the District Court if you want but you are wasting your time and money. If you are trying to punish your former flat mate, well it won’t work. You will end up further out of pocket.

If you are worried about access to the apartment then you had best change the locks and give a key to the landlord.

Unfortunately you put your trust in this guy and he let you down.

Advertisement