Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spare training rear wheel - does wheel/cassette matter?

Options
  • 22-10-2017 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭

So, I have a turbo trainer on the way which will be used by both myself and my wife. Because we want to easily switch between indoor and outdoor cycling over the winter, we are planning to get a spare rear wheel that both of us can use just for the turbo trainer. However, I have a couple of questions for those with more experience...

1) does it matter if we just get a cheap wheel rather than the same wheel as we have on our bikes?

2) my wife has an Ultegra 6700 10-speed cassette on her bike, whereas I have a 105 5800 11-speed cassette on my bike. my wife has an Ultegra 6800 11-speed with 25 teeth and I have the 105 11-speed with 32 teeth. Can we (or should we) just get a cheap Shimano cassette? Will that work with both bikes? Is that a good idea in terms of the different feel of the gears (ie, should a person be training with the same set up as they normally have on their bike)?

Thanks

EDIT: screwed up, we actually both have 11-speed cassettes, but mine is 11-32, hers is 11-25....same questions apply

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

You can't mix 10 and 11 speed cassettes.

Either get 2 cheap rear wheels with the appropriate cassette on each or swap over the cassettes when required on a single wheel. (You can fit both 10 & 11 on the same wheel)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

EDit wrote: »
    ...EDIT: screwed up, we actually both have 11-speed cassettes, but mine is 11-32, hers is 11-25....same questions apply
    Your chains will be different lengths (assuming you both have the same size chain rings up front) so I can't see that much difference working out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Your chains will be different lengths (assuming you both have the same size chain rings up front) so I can't see that much difference working out.

Both should be able to use an 11-25 cassette, the chain length would only be an issue if the bike set up for a 25 tried to use a 32

Advertisement