Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Met Eireann rainfall radar

Options
  • 22-10-2017 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to access this rainfall radar rendition anywhere on the Met Eireann website?
    It looks to be a more high-res. display with topography included, than the regular display on their website. It appears on their Twitter page occasionally.

DMwEodjXcAEq6pG.jpg:large

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I stopped using the ME radar when they ruined the colour scheme. I find Netweather's radar brilliant - https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Thanks. I also use Netweather but it's the Met Eireann one shown above that I'm interested in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

That’s their own 5 minute feed
    It wouldn’t be free

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

That’s their own 5 minute feed
    It wouldn’t be free
    It should be free. Taxpayers' money is paying for it. Whatever about some other content, this radar should be freely available as it could be the difference in saving lives (to use their own popular phrase). There is no commercial reason for witholding that information.

Hopefully with the complete revamp of the website coming soon we will see this plus a host of more features finally become available.

Aye but Met Éireann is not entirely publicly funded
    They do charge fee’s for some services and of course their tv and radio broadcasts are sponsored
    That’s money they need

5 minute versus 15 minute radar availability would save lives?
    Lol GL you’re having a laugh
    It would be nice to have it as weather enthusiasts but that’s it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Why do Met.ie utilize the Belfast radar to give better coverage of rain or showers on the North West coast? The UKMO utilizes Met Eireann's radars on their website. It is also on most British weather websites including netweather.tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Why do Met.ie utilize the Belfast radar to give better coverage of rain or showers on the North West coast? The UKMO utilizes Met Eireann's radars on their website. It is also on most British weather websites including netweather.tv.

Why not use it?

It gives more complete coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

They need to invest in 2 new radars ans stick them in Belmullet and Valentia

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Where are the radars ME use currently located?

Shannon Airport and Dublin Airport.

• Advertisement

Rikand wrote: »

money?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

piuswal wrote: »
    money?

Money should be no object when trying to appeal to my weather enthusiasm!

Money should be no object when trying to appeal to my weather enthusiasm!

So people know how Met Eireann is funded?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

North Sligo or south Donegal might be better than Belmullet as it would cover the NW and N much better. As it is, the rainfall radar on Met Eireann's site is virtually useless for this region. All good and well saying that there are other sites (UK based) out there with better coverage, but that really isn't the point because Met Éireann is a primary point of reference regarding weather for most people in this country.

New Moon

It would be nice to have it as weather enthusiasts but that’s it

It is a nice map. Reminds me of the maps you'd see in those old style school atlases in school.

Maybe if they made it public, but only on a subscription basis? I for one would sign up for sure!

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Belmullet would be good in that it'd provide much better coverage to the west so we'd know well in advance what to expect from Atlantic fronts, problem is north Donegal still wouldn't have great coverage. Finner or Strandhill might be a decent option to cover the best of both worlds

The current setup is useless for NW Donegal, particularly in a north westerly airflow during the winter when we frequently get those squally hail showers. One of the main times I'd use the radar trying to avoid showers but they're already on top of you before they show up on the met radar so I'm forced to use Netweather. Same deal with frontal rain where it sometimes shows up as dry or very light drizzle when in reality its been pouring down for hours.

I emailed the met about it years ago and they fully agreed that the current setup is inadequate but funding is predictably the issue so it likely won't be sorted any time soon

...so I'm forced to use Netweather....

But doesn't Netweather still rely on the Met Eireann radar for it's precip data for the NW? As far as I know, there isn't any other source for that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Comhra wrote: »
    But doesn't Netweather still rely on the Met Eireann radar for it's precip data for the NW? As far as I know, there isn't any other source for that area.

The UK Met Belfast radar has much better coverage of the far NW than either of the Met Eireann ones. Most of Donegal is out of range of the Shannon radar and just barely covered by the Dublin radar.

Here's the distances to Tory Island, Donegal from the three radars on the island.

Belfast 144 km
    Dublin 240 km
    Shannon 288 km

• Registered Users Posts: 15,424 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Many is the time I've visited relatives in Sligo expecting it to be dry looking at the met.ie radar only to find its lashing down. Come to think of it they could stick a great big blue (what else!) blob over Sligo and be right most of the time :pac: :D

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comhra wrote: »

WeatherOnline, MeteoGroup and the UK Met Office themselves (all UK based) seem to have full access to both the Shannon & Dublin radars, yet it would seem Met Éireann does not have permission to use just one of their radars on their site for public consumption? It doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

New Moon

• Advertisement

Maybe it’s because no one in met Éireann ever asked?

Advertisement