Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reflexology

• 22-10-2017 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right forum or not, so mods please move if it belongs elsewhere.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone has ever had reflexology done and if you found it to be of any benefit?
    I'm going to counselling at the moment and my counsellor thought it might be of benefit for stress and anxiety related issues.
    I'm open minded towards trying it, but would like to hear anyone else's experiences.

Also if anyone could recomend someone in Limerick area, that would be great too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

I'd be quite skeptical of reflexology, as I am of all 'alternative' therapies.

The NICE (National Institute for Health and Care Excellence) throws up this link regarding reflexology

http://www.crd.york.ac.uk/crdweb/ShowRecord.asp?LinkFrom=OAI&ID=12009109858
    The author concluded that the current evidence did not convincingly demonstrate that reflexology was an effective treatment for any medical condition. The limitations in the reporting of the review methods and trial results make it difficult to verify the reliability of the author’s conclusion.

Emphasis mine. It's difficult to find good quality studies on it, but those that exist show either zero or very minimal benefits.

I'm sure there are some marked benefits to therapies like these in terms of relaxation and the placebo effect, but it's likely that a nice massage in a pleasant spa will be every bit as effective in that regard, but without the fake science attached to lend it credibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I generally don't like people "at" my feet, so it wouldn't ever be something I would even consider.

I know this is pure snobbery on my part, but the leaflets for reflexology always come in the Sun or the Mirror and similar papers aimed at a reading age of ten. I kinda think people would have to be a small bit of a eejit to fall for it?

Your counselor now also sounds like a quack for recommending it. I'd be checking their qualifications as well.

pwurple wrote: »
    I generally don't like people "at" my feet, so it wouldn't ever be something I would even consider.

I know this is pure snobbery on my part, but the leaflets for reflexology always come in the Sun or the Mirror and similar papers aimed at a reading age of ten. I kinda think people would have to be a small bit of a eejit to fall for it?

Your counselor now also sounds like a quack for recommending it. I'd be checking their qualifications as well.

I was thinking that as well. Any counsellor who thinks reflexology will do anything substantial for someone burdened with anxiety or stress issues needs to be looked at very carefully. I find it hard to believe anyone with credible qualifications would recommend an unproven therapy, unless they specifically point out it's for relaxation purposes only. And even then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

pwurple wrote: »

My counsellor is a fully qualified, accredited psychotherapist and not a 'quack'.

• Advertisement

My counsellor is a fully qualified, accredited psychotherapist and not a 'quack'.

That might be the case, but they also recommended an unproven alternative therapy for stress and anxiety. You'd be better off discussing those issues with a doctor, not someone who massages feet.

Reflexology can help lots of different people. Personally it wouldn't be for me but I see no harm in the OP's therapist recommending it as something which may help. It's the same as recommending a massage or practicing mindfulness, or having a swim. It might not have any impact at all but it can't hurt to try.

The problem with a counselor promoting alternative therapies is that it lends them a faux medical credence. Reflexology as a relaxation strategy is fine, but someone might take it as a proven therapy if it's recommended specifically for anxiety or stress. It's no more effective than massage, but it pretends to be more, and that's what I object to.

That's why I said it'd be okay if it was specifically recommended for relaxation purposes, but anything more than that isn't appropriate in my opinion. The first port of call for someone with issues with stress or anxiety should be their doctor.

I'd raise an eyebrow if a qualified and accredited therapist suggested to me for example that reflexology would really help my anxiety, stress, or whatever else. However if they said "would you be open to trying reflexology? It might help alongside the work we are doing. Or it might have no affect at all. Just something to think about".

Indeed. The OP specifically states that her counselor specifically said that reflexology might help with anxiety and stress related issues though. And that's worrying, imo.
    I'm going to counselling at the moment and my counsellor thought it might be of benefit for stress and anxiety related issues.

• Advertisement

Candie wrote: »
    Indeed. The OP specifically states that her counselor specifically said that reflexology might help with anxiety and stress related issues though. And that's worrying, imo.

It's tricky I think to make suggestions that you think might help in some way but might also go against the client's own personal beliefs. In fact depending on the client and the relationship built it could isolate them. For example if a therapist suggested going to mass as a support but the client was a staunch atheist.

Perhaps Rhubarb has the kind of therapeutic relationship where suggestions can be openly made without her feeling that the therapist is pushing her beliefs on her.

It's tricky I think to make suggestions that you think might help in some way but might also go against the client's own personal beliefs. In fact depending on the client and the relationship built it could isolate them. For example if a therapist suggested going to mass as a support but the client was a staunch atheist.

Perhaps Rhubarb has the kind of therapeutic relationship where suggestions can be openly made without her feeling that the therapist is pushing her beliefs on her.

Perhaps. Its got nothing to do with my point though.

A counselor shouldn't recommend an unproven therapy to help with anxiety and stress, but it's fine to recommend them for relaxation to help with anxiety and stress. An important distinction.

It doesn't matter who believes in what. It's inappropriate to recommend unproven alternative therapies as a specific treatment for any condition.

Candie wrote: »
    Perhaps. Its got nothing to do with my point though.

A counselor shouldn't recommend an unproven therapy to help with anxiety and stress, but it's fine to recommend them for relaxation to help with anxiety and stress. An important distinction.

It doesn't matter who believes in what. It's inappropriate to recommend unproven alternative therapies as a specific treatment for any condition.

I agree with you there. I think :) Anything which can help alleviate a person's stress, to help them relax a little more, is great but I don't agree with it being suggested as a fix or something which will definitely take away the person's anxiety.
    Reflexology in my opinion should be mentioned in the same breath as a walk or a massage. Purely complimentary to the deeper work of uncovering the root of the stress and why anxiety hits the way it does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I had reflexology years ago and it was the best foot massage I’ve ever had. I found it very relaxing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I tried reflexology for fertility issues when I was getting fertility treatment. I didn't get pregnant while I was doing it but it was lovely and relaxing and nice to get an hour to myself during a very stressful time. I was sceptical about its efficacy but figured what did I have to lose. At the time I would have tried anything just in case. I would see it as similar to getting a massage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I've had reflexology lots of times - mostly while trying to kick start labour. Can't say that it worked on either of my pregnancies for that :rolleyes:

What I can say is that I found it seriously relaxing & definitely a stress buster & I ordinarily hate people anywhere near my feet. She used to tell me some waffle at the end of the session...generally about my digestive system being in a hoop...but as with all alternative practices, I took that with a pinch of salt. I normally just used it as an hour of relaxing & sleeping as I'd fall asleep within the first five minutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭theoldbreed

I normally hate anyone near my feet but I love massages and those kinds of treatments. I was given a reflexology treatment as a present a few years ago and it was the best treatment I've ever had. It was so relaxing I fell fast asleep. It was glorious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Personally, I don't like touching my own feet so the thought of someone else at them makes me shudder.

That said, there is no evidence that reflexology has any actual benefits beyond 'some people find a foot rub relaxing'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I had reflexology for the first time a few days ago, loved it, found it very relaxing, would and will do it again, slept will that night

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Cyclepath

Leaving aside the quackery, as others have mentioned, it's the most relaxing foot massage you'll ever have, and just for that alone it can help with stress and anxiety. The simple fact that you've taken an hour for yourself and had the undivided attention of another caring human being cannot be underestimated.

I found it very beneficial for my own stress regardless of the fact that I think it's complete bull from a medical point of view.

When the reflexologist hits a sensitive part of your foot and tells you "ah that's your spleen", I have to suppress a laugh. I asked the reflexologist which part of the foot related to the foot and she couldn't answer me... :-D

• Advertisement
Advertisement