Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preliminary tax in first year of self employment

Options
  • 22-10-2017 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I started self employment in January 2017, so I don't file my first tax return until October 2018, but I'm not sure what I should do about preliminary tax. I've decided to pay 100% of last year which is €0 (since I only started this year). I've registered for ros.ie but there doesn't seem to be a way to say you intend to pay €0. In the Submit a Payment section it has the message "There are no periods against which you can make a Payment for this Registration". Do I just do nothing or do I have to fill out a form 11 for 2016 even though I only started this year? I don't want to be hit with interest payments because I didn't do the right thing.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 BillUnder

Revenue have got back to me and said you don't have to pay preliminary tax in your first year. Even if you want to pay 90% of your estimated tax bill for your first year there doesn't seem to be a way to do it via ros.ie without filing a tax return, though you can ring 1890 27 37 47 and pay with a debit or credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭danwhite88

BillUnder wrote:
    Revenue have got back to me and said you don't have to pay preliminary tax in your first year. Even if you want to pay 90% of your estimated tax bill for your first year there doesn't seem to be a way to do it via ros.ie without filing a tax return, though you can ring 1890 27 37 47 and pay with a debit or credit card.

Say No to 1890 - Revenue (Irish Tax & Customs) Credit/debit card payments 1890273747 – Call Instead 018288045

Advertisement