Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus / ASL

Options
  • 22-10-2017 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Those 4 757 that aer lingus is leasing from ASL are expected to be replaced by the 321neoLR is this correct? If so, when?
    May this mean that AerLingus deal with ASL will terminate here? Someone mentioned before the 757 leasing agreement would be extended to 2025 although I haven't heard anything official in relation to this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There'll be zero reason to retain the ASL deal when the 321LRs arrive. So even in the absence of a specific statement its clear it'll terminate then.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 IrishYamm

L1011 wrote: »
    There'll be zero reason to retain the ASL deal when the 321LRs arrive. So even in the absence of a specific statement its clear it'll terminate then.

There were talkings of extending the lease of the 757s for a few more years ineeed but I believe this idea was dropped. Specially now with the announcement of a 8th a321 order (who knows a few more will join the fleet!) although the current 3 a321 that aer lingus own will be gone too so that means 7 remplaced for 7 plus 1 new aircraft (the 8th a321LR). This is if the a321LR dont get delayed on their arrival... we all know how airbus is. And the engines for the a321LR still being looked at apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

IrishYamm wrote: »
    There were talkings of extending the lease of the 757s for a few more years ineeed but I believe this idea was dropped. Specially now with the announcement of a 8th a321 order (who knows a few more will join the fleet!) although the current 3 a321 that aer lingus own will be gone too so that means 7 remplaced for 7 plus 1 new aircraft (the 8th a321LR). This is if the a321LR dont get delayed on their arrival... we all know how airbus is. And the engines for the a321LR still being looked at apparently.

The existing 321s won't be replaced by 321LRs.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 IrishYamm

So when will the 757s exit the fleet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

You can work that out for yourself.I would hazard a guess Ei wont be left with an aircraft for the routes they need.
    Management from both companies most likely have worked out an agreement for the change in aircraft and the end to the contract between ei and asl.
    I think both Companies did well from this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

drdeadlift wrote: »
    You can work that out for yourself.I would hazard a guess Ei wont be left with an aircraft for the routes they need.
    Management from both companies most likely have worked out an agreement for the change in aircraft and the end to the contract between ei and asl.
    I think both Companies did well from this.
    Yeah, ASL were around and successful a long time before this agreement and it was mutually beneficial.
    Who knows what ASL will do, maybe they will keep one of the frames for charter and ACMI work like they do with their 737

I know asl are not a blow in,but im sure many more non aviation savvy Irish locals will be aware of them.
    If they have the planes maybe they might try focus on charters from Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Locker10a wrote: »
    Yeah, ASL were around and successful a long time before this agreement and it was mutually beneficial.
    Who knows what ASL will do, maybe they will keep one of the frames for charter and ACMI work like they do with their 737

The group has a fleet of something like 100 aircraft around the world. The 3 Finnair frames are young enough to be very attractive as freighters.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

So when will the 757s exit the fleet?

Currently the contract is up to 2020. EI are taking delivery of the A321LR from Q2 2019. I expect 3-4 per year with a network expansion in 2019 and the 2020 deliveries to be used to phase out the B757s.
    The current A321s will remain to be deployed on high demand leisure routes. I believe that EI own them outright and they will sweat them to maximise revenue potential.

The EI COO did state that the A321LRs could be used to provide a Business class experience on certain routes with lots of transfers from their Transatlantic flights.

No hints from EI mgmt at additional wide body additions to the fleet however. I have heard a rumour (very much so) of EI examining 2 ex Air Berlin A330s.

All of the above is of course is just my opinion and assessment!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭zone 1

one of those A330 200 is almost 18years old... from air berlin if it was to happen

• Advertisement

zone 1 wrote: »
    one of those A330 200 is almost 18years old... from air berlin if it was to happen
    Well EI have 3 A330-200s at the moment, delivery was in 1999, 2000 and 2001.
    (They also have a 2007 airframe)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

The move is to get away from A330-200 in favour of new A330-300 with the higher weight option so they can comfortably get to LAX/SFO as well as more seats.

Everything is about price, if its cheap, its cheap

The A321's are plugging along as EI own them and at this stage probably are worth nothing on the balance sheet so provided they don't go wrong and the number of cycles is managed (i.e. bucket and spade to the Canaries and Ski stuff instead of DUB-LHR shuttles) they will be staying as they are profitable as they give an edge on high volume routes over FR.

We can argue it was a bad idea to sell EI-DUB/SNN as EI paid cash for them basically but they are early airframes and struggled range wise would have be ace for bucket and spade and LHR ops all the same (we have to recall the A330 was really designed as a domestic European high volume aircraft with the A340 for long haul

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

I have often thought that there is a recurring need for larger craft on Dublin-London , something larger than a 321 or 757

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

trellheim wrote: »
    I have often thought that there is a recurring need for larger craft on Dublin-London , something larger than a 321 or 757

One problem faced with bigger capacity, is longer turn around times.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 AoifeOCaa

Tenger wrote: »
    Currently the contract is up to 2020. EI are taking delivery of the A321LR from Q2 2019. I expect 3-4 per year with a network expansion in 2019 and the 2020 deliveries to be used to phase out the B757s.
    The current A321s will remain to be deployed on high demand leisure routes. I believe that EI own them outright and they will sweat them to maximise revenue potential.

The EI COO did state that the A321LRs could be used to provide a Business class experience on certain routes with lots of transfers from their Transatlantic flights.

No hints from EI mgmt at additional wide body additions to the fleet however. I have heard a rumour (very much so) of EI examining 2 ex Air Berlin A330s.

All of the above is of course is just my opinion and assessment!

That's if Airbus find the right engines for the a321LR (still looking at it). And if there is no delays. We all know how airbus is when delivering aircrafts.

trellheim wrote: »

Well the A321s when first introduced in 1998 were primarily deployed on routes to LHR. EI had previously explored the option of using their B767 on the route (when the 1991 Gulf War stopped the plan to launch DUB-LAX)

However with only 3 A321 in the fleet it's better operationally to keep frequency over mixed capacity on London routes.

Yes, I know, but emptying a twin-aisle with the back door open too should keep timings down , same for loading

Do flights deplane from the rear doors at LHR?

They do at Gatwick

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

drdeadlift wrote:
    Do flights deplane from the rear doors at LHR?

Not at T2.

In the T1 days transfer pax would use rear steps for transfer bus.

• Advertisement
Advertisement