Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VHI refusing to cover treatment

Options
  • 22-10-2017 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

VHI are battling with oncologist saying that high tech drug he wants to use is not covered. Oncologist battling back. This news came through the day before the treatment was due to start . VHI say an operation is the correct treatment (a lot cheaper for them). This is after three operations in June. Meanwhile the weeks elapse and there is no alternative plan discussed or a time limit on the High tech plan A. Any advice on dealing with the VHI on this, Any recommended legal people well versed with tackling the vhi?

Any advice greatly appreciated
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

This is a very interesting post and it is very concerning. It concerns me as I fear that private health insurance in ireland will.go the way of the USA and pre approval will be needed for everything.
    Can you transfer your care to the public system and get your consultant to prescribe it for you publically? This way the tax payer can pay instead.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I'm afraid I can't offer much comfort, the MS drug I'm on had to be pre-approved by VHI before I could get it. I know of a few people waiting on a drug that VHI hasn't approved and despite the consultant writing all kinds of reports/letters, they still won't approve it.

I think Wesser's idea is the only way to go at present. As if being seriously ill wasn't enough.

Advertisement