Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Students being punished during class time

Options
  • 22-10-2017 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭

I've a delicate issue that I'd appreciate some advice on. A year head has taken to making students in an exam year engage in cleaning up work as a punishment for littering, misbehaviour during break. This is impinging on class time with students returning 5-10 mins after the beginning of class. Invariably the students concerned are the type to cause low-level disruption, be poorly organised etc. Exactly the type of students you want to get a handle on from the beginning of class.

They return without any note to explain their absence and there is no consultation with class teachers. My feeling is that, year head or not, this is grossly inconsiderate towards me or any other class teacher. I try to run a tight ship and feel that this is undermining it. I think that I am going to put my foot down and either send them for a note or downright demand that my students attend class on time as I feel my time with them begins on the bell and they could be assigned this task at the next break. At the same time, I realise that I have to be a team player and support my colleagues. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

linguist wrote: »
    s. My feeling is that, year head or not, this is grossly inconsiderate towards me or any other class teacher. I try to run a tight ship and feel that this is undermining it. I think that I am going to put my foot down and either send them for a note or downright demand that my students attend class on time as I feel my time with them begins on the bell and they could be assigned this task at the next break.

Definitely not this.

Also, check with the year head about time taking to return to class, I doubt he/she is allowing 10 minutes out of class. More than likely these students are taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Are you sure the year head has given them permission to be late for class? They might just be chancing their arms , with this new responsibility being used as an excuse. Have you asked the year head about this, in a nice way?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Talk to the year head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭acequion

linguist wrote: »
    I've a delicate issue that I'd appreciate some advice on. A year head has taken to making students in an exam year engage in cleaning up work as a punishment for littering, misbehaviour during break. This is impinging on class time with students returning 5-10 mins after the beginning of class. Invariably the students concerned are the type to cause low-level disruption, be poorly organised etc. Exactly the type of students you want to get a handle on from the beginning of class.

They return without any note to explain their absence and there is no consultation with class teachers. My feeling is that, year head or not, this is grossly inconsiderate towards me or any other class teacher. I try to run a tight ship and feel that this is undermining it. I think that I am going to put my foot down and either send them for a note or downright demand that my students attend class on time as I feel my time with them begins on the bell and they could be assigned this task at the next break. At the same time, I realise that I have to be a team player and support my colleagues. Any thoughts?

On the emboldened bit I would say that we can't keep everybody happy and if I were you I'd look out for your own corner.

So I would be putting my foot down and graciously explain to the year head that you want them in class at the bell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Check code of behaviour, if its not proscribed it can't take place. Legally you can ask a brat to clean up but you can't make them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

If you don't want to talk to the year head.... you could go all passive aggressive and send the students back out when they come in late. Send em back to the yearhead (and take up the yearhead's class time :pac:) to get a signed note to say what times they were absent from and why they were absent.
    Any time another teacher takes students out they should -at the very least- apologise to the teacher affected.

Or

Talk to the yearhead and ask if it's going to be ongoing. If it is then you'll need to keep track of who's out with excuse notes etc.

Advertisement