Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Collon animal shelter.

Options
  • 22-10-2017 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭

Had the absolute misplesure of talking a walk round this place today , absolutely shocked and horrified as to the conditions that the different animals where being kept in , absolutely filthy , I seen , and I kid u not small kitten sized rats walking around the parrots cage eating there foods , and also mice running freely in the kitten cages upstairs in the shelter, I understand that it’s run on a. Volunteer basis and that they rely on donations but seriously the place is an absolute health hazard and needs urgent action .

Comments

Nothing new there it seems , I took a dog from them about 7 or 8 years ago now and he's still alive despite me having to take him to a vet the day after with a case of ****ing parvo. Best 700 euro I ever spent I kid you not he's the best dog we ever had but that place should not be called an animal shelter. It was bad then and it sounds like it's even worse now.

I made a report to the ISPCA back then and not sure if anything happened but OP I'd strongly urge you to do the same.

EDIT: the 700 was the vet bill for 3 weeks worth of care.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Barnavave

You’re wasting your time reporting anything to the ISPCA, unless you are making a donation they aren’t interested. A lot of these local ‘charities’ are exactly the same. Animal welfare comes well down the list of priorities in many of these places. As an example the dogs at DDR get walked once a week, that’s the only fresh air they get. That’s not to take anything away from many of the wonderful volunteers and people who offer foster care to these poor animals, but certain people are doing alright financially out of these charities.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I know its a cliche in Ireland but you could try ringing the likes of Joe Duffy, or trying to generate some publicity with the media and such? I'd try the ISPCA again (if only to say you did) and when that yields no result, try ringing the various papers and trying to draw attention to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Heard a story a few years back of a local school raising money for the animal shelter in Collon. They donated a cheque for €220 from a bake sale , raffle etc. the principal at the school later got a call that the Cheque was used to pay for the staffs xmas party in donegans in monasterboice. I know the parents where up in arms at the time and contacted lmfm about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Saw the Rats recently too ,could nt believe it !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

house45 wrote: »
    Had the absolute misplesure of talking a walk round this place today , absolutely shocked and horrified as to the conditions that the different animals where being kept in , absolutely filthy , I seen , and I kid u not small kitten sized rats walking around the parrots cage eating there foods , and also mice running freely in the kitten cages upstairs in the shelter, I understand that it’s run on a. Volunteer basis and that they rely on donations but seriously the place is an absolute health hazard and needs urgent action .

Very surprised at this as it used to be great but it's over ten years since I've been there. That's sad to hear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

doncarlos wrote: »
    Very surprised at this as it used to be great but it's over ten years since I've been there. That's sad to hear

It was as bad ten years ago.

Advertisement