Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Online sex scams: Limerick men tricked and blackmailed"

• 22-10-2017 9:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure this fits under any existing threads so thought I would post it here as a warning to men out there.
    The ruse is simple. A pretty girl follows a guy on a social media site. He follows back and she begins to send messages. Things intensify and before long she records him, without his knowledge, performing a sexual act. Shortly after, an email comes through that unless he pays a ransom the clip will be posted on social media sites for his wife/partner, friends, work colleagues to see.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/277576/online-sex-scams-limerick-mentricked-and-blackmailed.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Guy Sajer

Me too!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'd work on the same principle of those situations where men and women's sex tapes or pics got hacked and ended up online. There are no pics of my pale arse on the interwebs, simply because I don't take pics of my pale arse and post them on the interwebs. Which I consider my main contribution to man and womankind... *

I can understand this happening a few years ago when the interwebs was new, but how many stories and warnings have to come along about compromised interwebs security and interwebs scam artists for people to cop the fcuk on?

Have I some sympathy? Yes. I do feel for him. Do I have that much sympathy? Frankly not so much TBH.

TL;DR? Post nothing on the interwebs you wouldn't want the world to see. That should be taught in every school, everywhere(most parents would. I hope, but one can't rely upon that). I presume it is?

*I understand that thing about taking dooorty pics of each other. Been there. Did that. Cool, go old school and buy a polaroid camera. Or go really old school and take up a painting course. Sketch me like one of your French girls...

One of my exes. Earlier.
    mod1.jpg
    That's not abstraction, she looked like that. And I'm myopic. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Yeah I don't get the sending nudes thing at all. Yeah it's an invasion of privacy and all the rest but when there's leaks and hacks (and arseholes passing them on) and everyone knows what can happen I don't feel that much sympathy. Yes, I'm a victim-blaming. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

On the one hand, I can understand fellas getting lonely and enjoying female attention but you need to be aware of what you're getting involved in and the risks that go with it.

If a girl you've met online asks you to send her a video of you **** before you've met her, it's a major red flag. There's enough of these stories now that I'd be very careful of meeting people online if I were ssingle and even more so if they were asking for stuff like that. On a more innocent level, just watching shows like Catfish can give you an idea of how people online aren't always what they really make themselves out to be. I'm sure we all know people on FB and Twitter and the likes who go on about how great their lives are when things aren't really as rosy. It's definitely easier to get a feel for people in real life. I can understand the temptation of meeting people online and I've heard of several success stories but it just seems far too risky.

FWIW, if you're meeting people online when you already have a partner and they don't know about it then you deserve everything that comes to you and I'd have no sympathy whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

at this stage its like falling for a Nigerian Prince scam. I'd guess the guy is thinking they just want to rope him in and then start paying but not thinking its a blackmail situation? it has led to some suicides with teenagers so it is serious so tis worth warning about

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

There is a whole town in Morocco which dose this, and it's a man playing a video and typing out a script
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/magazine-37735369

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

I thought knowledge of this would be pretty widespread by this stage, but it's still a ****ty thing to do.
    I've had fun on chatroulette but never got nekkid. What good is some woman willingly showing me her tits if she's 4,000 miles away?

If we could see how ridiculous we look when we're having a (two-handed, in my case) w@nk, we'd know that no-one could possibly get turned on by it and the trap should be sussed straight away.

I'd post the gif of a guy ringing the bell at a football game to illustrate my point if i could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

The ruse is simple. A pretty girl follows a guy on a social media site. He follows back and she begins to send messages. Things intensify and before long she records him, without his knowledge, performing a sexual act. Shortly after, an email comes through that unless he pays a ransom the clip will be posted on social media sites for his wife/partner, friends, work colleagues to see.

That in bold is already where the "Red Alert, Shields Up!" klaxons should start sounding; While it is something that might happen, it's extremely rare and normally just limited to either exceptionally good looking or successful guys. It's the digital age equivalent of a level-A stunner walking up to an average Joe at a bus stop and asking for his phone number - how many times does it happen? My point, exactly.

Best case scenario, it's a dude looking to have a laugh at your expense; Worst, you'll end up showing yourself "choking the chicken" on the Interwebz. Just don't fall for it.

Also, sometimes it's not that obvious a scenario - another way of doing these scams is through dating websites; sometimes these people are cunningly subtle - they don't even message guys first, they just construct a fake woman's profile, wait for the messages to come in and set their trap in motion.

I stumbled across one of these years ago when I lived in Rome - contacted somebody through OKCupid or a similar site (can't remember), we message each other for a couple of days, then one night "she" says "let's talk on Skype".
    Hold and behold, "her" webcam, strangely enough, turned out to be "not working" (I got a black picture and no audio). After a few more minutes chatting via text on Skype, out of the blue "she" starts insisting "she" wants to see my...equipment. Yeah right...

TL;DR - keep it in your pants in front of the Internet!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I remember reading an article a few months ago about a man who took his own life when the scammers put the video on his FB page.

He was a separated father and I really felt for the guy that he thought he had no option but to end his life.

But at the same time if a stunner asks someone to show themselves **** off it's very naive to think it's a genuine person asking for this.

Advertisement