Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shimano 10 Speed getting Sparse

Options
  • 22-10-2017 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭

Looking around to replace my Ultegra 10 Speed STI shifters which are getting quite stiff.

There seems to be a lot less in 10 speed than a few years ago. "Durace 7900 lever" shows very little in the way of live links in google.

The same when it comes to groupsets. Have 2 bikes on shimano 10 speed and thought a spare groupset may be no harm if hoping to run them for a few years more. But I notice that the deals are better with 11 speed groupsets where I'd thought that older sets woud be cheaper. Guess its a supply and demand thing.

Question is has anybody recently found either good value shimano 10 speed groupsets (105-duraace range) or shimano levers ? Links please if you have.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Merlin Cycles and Bike-components.de both have 105 10 speed shifters.
    Probikekit have Ultegra 10 speed shifters still in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

A while ago I bought a set of 105 shifters from Evans Cycles, at the time they were €129.99 they are a bit more expensive now...

https://www.evanscycles.com/en-ie/bike-components/bike-shifters_c/shimano-brand/road-discipline/10-speed?page=0&sort=most_popular&productsPerPage=24&contentLayout=grid

They also have DA 7900.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Ultegra 10 Speed STI shifters which are getting quite stiff.

Have you tried flushing them with WD40? I've re-animated my 105 5700 at least 2 times this way...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Alek wrote: »
    Have you tried flushing them with WD40? I've re-animated my 105 5700 at least 2 times this way...

Will try that this evening. By "flush" I presume you just mean spray loads of WD40 in through the top ?

One lock up over a year ago and the LBS took it apart before putting it back together again. It certainly help but wasn't the same as new.

Even if the "flush" does work I'll probably buy a spare set of 105 levers as they are fickle items.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

By flush I mean spraying a lot into any hole / from any direction leading to the inside, and then wiping with paper towels. You can do it without taking them off the bars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Alek wrote: »
    By flush I mean spraying a lot into any hole / from any direction leading to the inside, and then wiping with paper towels. You can do it without taking them off the bars.
    Would wiping with a rag do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Just listed these, might be of interest:

https://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2057803499

Advertisement