Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone from US

Options
  • 22-10-2017 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Is there any reason why I wouldn't be unable to use an sim free iPhone over here in Ireland that was bought in the US?

I know the power adaptor would be different but I could just reuse one of the other ones I have at home here knocking around right? Is it that straightforward?

The price difference is significant and will be over there in a couple of weeks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

Hi all,

Is there any reason

Nope

Just make sure you buy the right one. iPhone 8 A1905 or iPhone 8 Plus A1897 I believe. That's what I'll be buying next week. Not sure what the numbers are for the X, that's if it goes on sale unlocked at launch.

Oh yeah, be ready for someone to tell you on the next post to pay duty on it when you arrive back here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Hi all,

Is there any reason why I wouldn't be unable to use an sim free iPhone over here in Ireland that was bought in the US?

I know the power adaptor would be different but I could just reuse one of the other ones I have at home here knocking around right? Is it that straightforward?

The price difference is significant and will be over there in a couple of weeks

Not been smart OP but use the search function it’s really handy..

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Marty Bird wrote: »
    Not been smart OP but use the search function it’s really handy..

Jeez - about 70% of the questions posted on Boards.ie could have been checked on Google beforehand...and I trust feedback from boardies a lot more

and not being pedantic, but in the context you used - "been" should have been "being"

:rolleyes:

Mr.S wrote: »
    Keep in mind most states have a sales tax on top of the displayed price, you’ll still make a decent saving but worth noting.

Charger can just be swapped out for an Irish plug.

You probably won’t get an iPhone X this side of Christmas without a preorder.

Forgot about that, thanks!

Jeez - about 70% of the questions posted on Boards.ie could have been checked on Google beforehand...and I trust feedback from boardies a lot more

and not being pedantic, but in the context you used - "been" should have been "being"

:rolleyes:

Not the search function on Google on Boards.ie thread on this most weeks. I had a few sherberts when I originally posted that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Many threads on this

Compare the iPhone Irish cost to US cost.

Apple are charging €70 more to buy in Ireland than the US when your take the cost of the tax out of the price. USA pricing on the store DOES NOT include the local sale tax which varies from state to state.

Why €70 more? 6 years consumer law ( you will not have any coverage for this if its bought in the US ) and currency fluctuation. On average the currency has changed 9% over the past 13 months regarding Euro and dollar. So if we take that out of it - it's roughly €40 more Apple wish to charge.

Having said that obviously in real world you must pay the tax in Ireland and in the USA so its still cheaper in the US. Just get an Irish plugs. The iPhone 7 series has the same antenna and band selection as it's european counterpart. Make the saving while you can!

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Marty Bird wrote: »
    Not the search function on Google on Boards.ie thread on this most weeks. I had a few sherberts when I originally posted that.

I'd say you were after a few sherberts when you posted the above too!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Ro-76

flexcon wrote: »
    Many threads on this

Apple are charging €70 more to buy in Ireland than the US when your take the cost of the tax out of the price. USA pricing on the store DOES NOT include the local sale tax which varies from state to state.

Why €70 more? 6 years consumer law ( you will not have any coverage for this if its bought in the US ) and currency fluctuation. On average the currency has changed 9% over the past 13 months regarding Euro and dollar. So if we take that out of it - it's roughly €40 more Apple wish to charge.

Having said that obviously in real world you must pay the tax in Ireland and in the USA so its still cheaper in the US. Just get an Irish plugs. The iPhone 7 series has the same antenna and band selection as it's european counterpart. Make the saving while you can!

Best of luck!

I think the price difference is a lot greater than that. $999 + approx 9% sales tax (on the higher side) comes out to about 930 euro on today's exchange rate. That's 250 less than apple store price here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Ro-76 wrote: »
    I think the price difference is a lot greater than that. $999 + approx 9% sales tax (on the higher side) comes out to about 930 euro on today's exchange rate. That's 250 less than apple store price here in Ireland.

In USA it is selling for $999 before Tax
    In Ireland they are charging $1,092 before tax. Difference is $93 or at exchange rate €78

I was only showing that it's the tax that is the major difference, not that Apple are charging that amount more. In other words I agree with you, end of the day you have to pay the tax.

flexcon wrote: »
    Many threads on this

Best of luck!

I am looking at iPhone 7 32GB version - including the 8.875% sales tax for NY, it will be working out (as of today's rates) as €144 cheaper than buying in Ireland.

For the sake of a plug and warranty coverage, I think it is worth it...what does everyone thing here?

• Advertisement

I am looking at iPhone 7 32GB version - including the 8.875% sales tax for NY, it will be working out (as of today's rates) as €144 cheaper than buying in Ireland.

For the sake of a plug and warranty coverage, I think it is worth it...what does everyone thing here?

You would pick that up brand new on adverts for around the same cost as in the US.

http://www.adverts.ie/14086280

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Not to hijack, but have a similar question. You can get some very cheap iPhone SE deals, network locked, 'no contract', over there. I've seen plenty in the $100-150 range.

If one were to buy one of those, is it possible to get it unlocked for use over here?

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

For only 150 in savings I'd rather have the EU consumer protection.

Advertisement