Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best season/event for TV bargains?

Options
  • 22-10-2017 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

I've been following quite a few TV bargain alerts threads over the last couple of months and I see a good number of people advising others to wait for Black Friday or for Dec/Jan sales.

In peoples experience - which of the two is the better event to pull the trigger on a TV and why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Moved to requests

You can have a look at last years threads to get an idea. It depends a lot per retailer or if you have a specific model in mind. A lot of stuff was increased before the sales and not a real bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Frank_1969

geo88 wrote: »
    I've been following quite a few TV bargain alerts threads over the last couple of months and I see a good number of people advising others to wait for Black Friday or for Dec/Jan sales.

In peoples experience - which of the two is the better event to pull the trigger on a TV and why?
    The manufacturers launch new models around March each year.The previous year models are then sold off by the retailers for up to 50% off the launch price a year earlier.
    In march 2013 I purchased a 2012 model Panasonic 42" plasma tv for £599stg that was £1200stg when it was launched.
    I purchased it from northern Ireland and had it delivered by courier for €730.It came with a 5 year warranty and 2 pairs if 3d glasses.
    Has Saorview and Freesat hd tuners built in as well as smart function, Bluetooth and wifi.
    It's still going strong today almost 5 years later without ever giving trouble except for a new remote control.
    So if you wait until March you are more likely to get a high end tv then for what you're going to pay for a lower spec model in the January sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

I picked up a clearance 55 inch Samsung Series 7 4k the other day from DID. €800 off it was advertised as a display model and was last years model. When I went to pick it up, I got a new one sealed. So sometimes you might get lucky if you go directly to the man in the shop and ask him about stock levels as opposed to relying on online information. It was last years model but having read reviews for it, people seem to agree there is little to no improvement in picture quality over this years model. A KS7500 (KS8500 in US)

Advertisement