Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

America - a home of the child bride

• 22-10-2017 11:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭

Yep, they're quick to bang on about the third world and Islam yet the USA has no hard and fast federal protection for children against being packed off to be married against their will at the behest of parents. Which seems incredible and frankly barbaric to me and yet there it is.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2017/02/10/why-does-the-united-states-still-let-12-year-old-girls-get-married/?utm_term=.6bdfd40ddd99
    While most states set 18 as the minimum marriage age, exceptions in every state allow children younger than 18 to marry, typically with parental consent or judicial approval. How much younger? Laws in 27 states do not specify an age below which a child cannot marry.

Obviously I wondered about here and the answer is 18 but with granted court consent it can be lower (the gubberment are intending to remove this) which is common feature across Europe. Anyway you'd think a country that doesn;t allow legal drinking of alcohol until 21 might be a bit less tardy than they are. Suddenly I realise that Jerry Lee Lewis marrying a 13 year old was only controversial due to her being his cousin!

The highest age is 22 in China and the Central African Republic.

So would you allow a child to be married before they've left school if you were allowed under law?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

We allow it here don't we or did it change? It was 16 was the legal marrying age with parents consent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

eviltwin wrote: »
    We allow it here don't we or did it change? It was 16 was the legal marrying age with parents consent.

Has to be allowed by a DC judge as well I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Yep, they're quick to bang on about the third world and Islam yet the USA has no hard and fast federal protection for children against being packed off to be married against their will at the behest of parents. Which seems incredible and frankly barbaric to me and yet there it is.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2017/02/10/why-does-the-united-states-still-let-12-year-old-girls-get-married/?utm_term=.6bdfd40ddd99

Obviously I wondered about here and the answer is 18 but with granted court consent it can be lower (the gubberment are intending to remove this) which is common feature across Europe. Anyway you'd think a country that doesn;t allow legal drinking of alcohol until 21 might be a bit less tardy than they are. Suddenly I realise that Jerry Lee Lewis marrying a 13 year old was only controversial due to her being his cousin!

So would you allow a child to be married before they've left school if you were allowed under law?

Jerry Lee Lewis moved to Clondalkin shortly after hooking up with that girl, then moved to Foxrock (I think).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

Under the Family Law Act, 1995 the minimum age at which an Irish resident may contract a marriage valid in Irish law is eighteen years of age, whether the marriage takes place in Ireland or elsewhere. Under the same Act, parental consent is no longer needed for a marriage.

It's different in Nor'n Ireland: "The law of the United Kingdom decrees that a man and a woman may marry if a. they are both 16 years or over (parental consent is needed for those aged 16 or 17) and b. free to marry (single, widowed or divorced/dissolved civil partnership)."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

kids often staybin secondary till 18

• Advertisement

Turnipman wrote: »
    Under the Family Law Act, 1995 the minimum age at which an Irish resident may contract a marriage valid in Irish law is eighteen years of age, whether the marriage takes place in Ireland or elsewhere. Under the same Act, parental consent is no longer needed for a marriage.

It's different in Nor'n Ireland: "The law of the United Kingdom decrees that a man and a woman may marry if a. they are both 16 years or over (parental consent is needed for those aged 16 or 17) and b. free to marry (single, widowed or divorced/dissolved civil partnership)."

Unfortunately there are exemptions....
    1.1 Minimum Age of Marriage:

From August 1, 1996 (under the Family Law Act, 1995) the minimum age at which a person, ordinarily resident in the State, may contract a marriage valid in Irish law is eighteen years of age; whether the marriage takes place in Ireland or elsewhere. This provision also applies where one party to the proposed marriage is over 18 years of age whether the marriage takes place in Ireland or elsewhere and the other is under 18, and to all non-residents who are marrying in the State. All persons applying to marry in the State must provide a Registrar with evidence of age and identity. Failure to produce such evidence will result in refusal to proceed with the marriage. Persons aged under 18 must obtain the permission of the Circuit Family Court or the High Court to get married

If the permission of the Circuit Family Court or High Court has not been obtained and either party to the marriage is under eighteen years of age, the Registrar or person solemnising the marriage must not proceed with the marriage ceremony. Any party to such marriage, or any Registrar or person solemnising a marriage, who is convicted of knowingly breaching the provisions regarding the minimum age for the marriage shall be liable to a fine of up to €635.

There is no requirement to obtain parental consent for a marriage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Jerry Lee Lewis moved to Clondalkin shortly after hooking up with that girl, then moved to Foxrock (I think).

Had never heard of this, so looked it up. According to Wikipedia though he married her in 1957, divorced her in 1970, and moved to Dublin in 1993.....

Had never heard of this, so looked it up. According to Wikipedia though he married her in 1957, divorced her in 1970, and moved to Dublin in 1993.....

I heard it a couple of times, once when I was working in Dublin and then on a BBC2 documentary where they said he once lived in a 3 bedroom semi-D in Clondalkin with his 13 year old cousin.

I think he was married 7 times.

I heard it a couple of times, once when I was working in Dublin and then on a BBC2 documentary where they said he once lived in a 3 bedroom semi-D in Clondalkin with his 13 year old cousin.

I think he was married 7 times.

Thought it was foxrock he lived in?

cursai wrote: »
    Thought it was foxrock he lived in?

yep, but Clondalkin before Foxrock..maybe only briefly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Minimum age to marry should be 50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Meh, there's plenty of stuff closer to home. Plenty of our EU buddies have an age of consent of 14. That's pretty fuked up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

c_man wrote: »
    Meh, there's plenty of stuff closer to home. Plenty of our EU buddies have an age of consent of 14. That's pretty fuked up.
    Heck, it was 12 in the Vatican City until three years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Still within the law, but only with parental consent and a small proportion of the country practice it. Part of the culture boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

America in double standards shocker?

Fake news surly...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

When was that law brought in and why? It's probably in line with what the native's followed at the time. Doesn't mean it's happening en masse now.

It's not something I'd be party to, so if I was asked to permit it, I wouldn't be doing so.

Prior to 1996, the legal age for marriage in Ireland was 16, with parental consent, but teenagers under the age of 16 could marry if they were granted a court exemption order. As far as I can see, there was no lower age limit for the granting of such an order.

Advertisement