Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hefting...

• 22-10-2017 11:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭

I have came across the term 'Hefted' or 'Hefting' in relation to sheep a few times ie
    Certain hills breeds can be hefted to particular pastures. They do not roam free even on unfenced land, each sheep has its “home” territory. Hefting is passed down from ewe to lamb. Even when hefted sheep are brought down to a farm for dipping, lambing, shearing, they will then return to their own “home” territories once released"

https://kippax-farms.co.uk/sheep/sheep-behaviour-get-to-know-the-basics

I believe it is a term used in Wales, England etc

I have never heard of this expression here though - my question is does anyone here use this expression or is there an equivalent Irish word for this behaviour in sheep?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

The practice is commonplace here too. They just don't use the term.

Basically, even when out roaming free on hills etc, a hill sheep will tend to stick to the area they were born and raised in. They also tend to stick to their own mates from their own flock, and will walk right through another flock and rarely stick with them.

They can also be hefted to a new area, as long as it is far away from where they originated. This can be done with a bit of management in summer months when grass is plentiful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

The practice is commonplace here too. They just don't use the term.

Basically, even when out roaming free on hills etc, a hill sheep will tend to stick to the area they were born and raised in. They also tend to stick to their own mates from their own flock, and will walk right through another flock and rarely stick with them.

They can also be hefted to a new area, as long as it is far away from where they originated. This can be done with a bit of management in summer months when grass is plentiful.

Thanks for that - I was thinking though that there was a word for hefting 'as gaeilge' maybe - as sheep farming has been around a long time in Ireland.

Any sheep farmers from gaeltacth areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭cuff92

We farm in a gaelteach I've never heard a distinct word for it. I'll have to correct you sheep farming on the hill isn't as old as you think. Have a read of this

http://mayoblackface.com/breed.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

cuff92 wrote: »
    We farm in a gaelteach I've never heard a distinct word for it. I'll have to correct you sheep farming on the hill isn't as old as you think. Have a read of this

http://mayoblackface.com/breed.html

Thanks cuff92 - Did a bit of reading to find if there was a similar term before posting. Regarding sheep being around a long time I was referring to some archaeological evidence for sheep in Ireland generally.

In 'Early Irish Farming' by Fergus Kelly - it is said that sheep were first brought to Ireland during the Neolithic period (4000 - 2500 BC). You may be right about hill sheep - in some of the old accounts sheep are referred to grazing on 'greens lawns and plains' - but there also some references to sheep being grazed on common land away from the farm as well.

It is said that English breeds of sheep were brought into Ireland from the late 16th century onwards. And some of the Irish breeds of sheep appear to have become extinct after this time- John Feehan gives some interesting detail in his book 'Farming in Ireland'

Advertisement