Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New media player, not really sure what fits the requirements..

Options
  • 22-10-2017 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

Hi, currently I have the a WD TV and Chromecast plugged into my av receiver.

The wd tv is dated and limited, the Chromecast seems very limited. I want the following,

Affordable (Htpc and Nvidia Sheild are a bit over the preferred budget.)
    Networked storage which the player can stream content from or just having a hdd attached to the player if it will be accessible on the network when the player is turned off.
    Have apps for Netflix/Amazon and ability to install others. (seems to rule out any that don't run apps)
    Supports DD, DD+, DTS and ideally everything up to Atmos/DTS:X (Amazon Fire/Roku etc seem to have problems with dts)
    Works with an IR remote (Amazon Fire doesn't have ir)
    Can play subtitles
    Doesn't have head wrecking bugs (I had so much trouble at times with the WD TV, id like something that just works)
    Girlfriend friendly. (Htpc or dual booting raspberry pi may not be ideal)

Maybe I am missing something here and there are easy work arounds for some of these issues. A while ago I was looking at android boxes like the minix ones, there are just so many its hard to know where to begin.. Any advice would be appreciated, budget wise around a hundred would be better than hundreds..

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Doesn't exist for your budget, and even with an unlimited budget you'll never get everything you want in one box.

To get proper Netflix and Prime video (hd/4k/surround sound) you have very limited choices. The Shield, new Fire TV box, and maybe a Roku.

Very few devices have the Prime Video app. Even on a Windows HTPC you won't get 5.1 audio.

Most Android boxes don't run Android TV, don't have Prime Video and have limited Netflix.

See here for official Android TV devices. https://www.android.com/tv/

The Mi Box is probably within your budget but doesn't have Prime Video.

After looking into this a lot recently and I'd have similar requirements to you, I'm going to try the new Fire TV, with the Ethernet adapter. I'll return it if it's not meeting my needs.

I had a Shield I returned last month, reasons outlined here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104765766&postcount=57

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

I see, thanks for the input, I will check out the Mi box, I have a Xioami phone, I think it was great value so it could be a good way to go. I can live without having Amazon, it doesnt look that great, just something different to switch to from Netflix for a while. Good luck with the fire TV though a few reviews i read of the current one seemed to make it sounds like they have a lot of drawbacks..

If anyone else has any input or ideas I would be all ears.

Update, Fire TV is ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

doylefe wrote: »
    Update, Fire TV is ****e

Please elaborate

Please elaborate

Out of the box it's pretty much unusable in Ireland. It can't understand the difference between Amazon prime UK and primevideo.com. All Amazon content errors out with location error. I've updated my location in Amazon settings, no joy. I used a smart DNS and set all location settings to UK, doesn't work.

No 24hz. Apparently Fire OS 5 supports it, OS 6 doesn't seem to so far.

YouTube app is really slow.

On dual band 2.4ghz/5ghz WiFi it only wants to connect to 2.4ghz.

Interface is terrible. 90% of what you see on screen is not your apps but "suggestions" to paid content. Basically one big advertising platform. Doesn't seem to be an app store search.

SPMC and Kodi GUI barely useable in 4k.

• Advertisement
Advertisement