Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cervelo s3 comfort

Options
  • 23-10-2017 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Looking at getting a cervelo s3 or possibly an r3 ,wondering how the s3 is for comfort over distance ,mostly doing sportives 100k spins currently running a specialized roubaix but looking to change but want comfort and not to aggressive but at the same time want to be able to up my cadence and average speed ,the cervelo seems to be regarded as a very good frame with the c3 being more endurance bike but prefer the look of the s3 any opinions on either also is the di2 worth the extra over the mechanical ultegra.thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

S3 is a stiff as hell race bike. I wouldn't buy it if I'm looking for comfort on a sportive. You'd be better off sticking with the Roubaix.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭markens2

I have an S2 and although it is lovely it is fairly stiff. Not ideal for a comfortable day at a sportive, but it looks unreal. Also 25mm tyres are a must.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Budget?

For a fun bike on a reasonable budget I'd avoid disc brakes as they add cost and weight and reduce ride quality (front fork needs to be stiffer). But maybe you don't care about weight or cost and want to run massive tyres.

That said, I do like my Synapse Di2 + hydro disc bike, even though it cost something insane like 4k. Servicing it is beyond me so I just take it to a shop like I would with a car which makes me feel sad about myself and the world. I have other bikes that I can tinker with.

Di2 is great. I'd take Di2 + rim brakes over mechanical shifting + discs. Or it is until it stops working, then you have a bike-shaped brick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Charlie69

The S3 is an exceptional bike, handles like a dream and due to the design of the seat stays it's actually very comfortable on all day rides.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭baz69

Charlie69 wrote: »
    The S3 is an exceptional bike, handles like a dream and due to the design of the seat stays it's actually very comfortable on all day rides.

Thanks is the geometry aggressive as I am use to the specialized roubaix, don't want to go two aggressive

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

baz69 wrote: »
    Looking at getting a cervelo s3 or possibly an r3 ,wondering how the s3 is for comfort over distance ,mostly doing sportives 100k spins currently running a specialized roubaix but looking to change but want comfort and not to aggressive but at the same time want to be able to up my cadence and average speed ,the cervelo seems to be regarded as a very good frame with the c3 being more endurance bike but prefer the look of the s3 any opinions on either also is the di2 worth the extra over the mechanical ultegra.thanks

Not trying to be smart, but you'll improve cadence/average speed by training hard 1 million times quicker than changing bike. Keep the money and get out more on the bike you have.

Advertisement