Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Times - NYC to Stewart International - Norwegian to DUB

Options
  • 23-10-2017 2:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

Just wondering which bus times you selected from New York Port Authority Bus Terminal to Stewart Airport for your Dublin flight.

Was it the 3.30pm or 5.00pm bus and what time did you arrive at the airport?
    Also, what day of the week was it?

Am returning on a Sunday and considering the 5.00pm bus for a 6.30pm arrival for a 10.25pm flight.

Would that be ok?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭mmg0305

They've changed the timetable since I went, but I took a bus which was supposed to leave at 3 on a Sunday (earlier than I needed but I was tired). It actually left at about 3:15. There seemed to be a fair amount of very slow traffic in the opposite direction but we zipped right along and got to the airport only to find that the flight was delayed by an hour. Can't remember exactly what time we arrived, but it's a teeny weeny airport so security etc doesn't take long.

One thing to note: I had hand luggage only and on my way out nobody cared at all about it. But in Stewart they were weighing everything and charging if it was over - a bit mean since the flight was only half-full. I didn't have to pay but the man in front of me was 3 kilos over and he was charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Just wondering if anyone has any other comments re flying to and from Stewart?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

I flew home with them two or three weeks ago from Stewart. Left Manhattan at about 8.10am and was there before 9.30am for a flight at 12 o clock. We had loads of time in the airport even though theres nothing to do there. Bus cost us $20 from Port Authority. What I would say was we arrived at 7.55am(almost looking for an excuse to miss the bus and stay another few days) and the bus was almost full. The bus was 100% full and ended up leaving two people behind so if you need to get home then make sure and get there a bit ahead of time.

Our flight was cancelled because of snow which is why we had a flight home at 12 o clock but you get a general timeline from that. This is also the likely reason why the bus was 100% full too. I certainly would consider flying with them again because of how quick you can get in and out of Stewart and the price. As someone who has lived in New York before and flew in and out quite regularly the perceived length of time in a taxi when you arrive in JFK is shorter than getting that bus from Stewart down but by the time you collect your bags and make your way out of JFK, get a taxi and into NY its likely the same length of time as flying to JFK but cheaper airfare in most cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭shinju

Personally, i would fly to Stewart again.
    When we landed there was no stress at all. It is a small airport and getting through was a breeze!
    Simply get off the plane, collect your luggage (if you have any. We did not). And exit.
    There was a bus waiting for us (booked tickets online. Recommend you do this before flying).
    Then it was a comfortable 1-1.5hr ride into NYC Port Authority Terminal.

Nice open motorway & countryside for most of the journey until entering NYC, when traffic was encountered. That bit contributed to most of the delay.

If flying into JFK, it will take about the same time to get out of the airport and into the city anyway.
    In this case it was zero stress.

From the airport the alternative option is to go into Newburgh town and get a train from there into Grand Central Station.
    There is a bus service called Leprechaun Lines that turns up at arrival time of the flight (Talk about racism or insulting... huh!!)

You can also get a taxi into Newburgh if you prefer and then the train into Grand Central.

On the way back from NYC Port Authority Terminal, there was a LONG queue of people stretching around the corner of the building waiting for the return bus.

Make sure you get there early enough so you don't have a long wait.
    A BIG problem that was encountered was that a few people had placed their luggage into the luggage compartment at the bottom of the bus and got on. Only to find that their luggage was not there when they arrived at Stewart Airport. Someone had nicked it.

The bus drivers are not like(for example) Aircoach bus drivers here. They expect you to place your luggage into the hold yourself and they do not bother watching what happens to it afterwards. they are only interested in ticking the names of ticket holders off their sheet.
    Typical NY attitude.

At the airport, on the return, our flight was cancelled.
    The communication from the Norwegian staff was deplorable.

If your flight is cancelled, make sure you call Norwegian and rebook yourself onto the next flight home.
    Do NOT count on the staff at the airport. The airport shuts after the last flight. Airline staff will feed you what you wnat to hear and then feck off home. In the meantime, you are stuck outside a closed airport in the rain.
    Remember, this is not the EU where you have decent rights.

If you are stuck, then book into the Hampton Inn & Suites in Newburgh.
    It is not in the town center, but at least it is right next to Orange County Choppers where you can eat, have a beer, take pics of the bikes, go on the tour of the workshop and maybe even meet the owner & the guys who build the bikes.
    ----

Again, even with all the above, i would fly Norwegian to NY again.

P.S. -- As our flight was cancelled we were able to claim 600 Euro each via the EU261 process = Free trip!

• Advertisement

shinju wrote: »

P.S. -- As our flight was cancelled we were able to claim 600 Euro each via the EU261 process = Free trip!

Was this down to the weather or was it another reason? Norweigan told me we'd be eligible for it over the phone however compensation sites that you enter your flight info into it says we are not entitled? Sorry to take from OPs thread but it is definitely something that can go in your favor too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Interesting replies. Also interested to know what the flight was like - no food, no entertainment privided, i gather? But someone told me that on the main airlines, you now have to bring your own screen - is that true?

Interesting replies. Also interested to know what the flight was like - no food, no entertainment privided, i gather? But someone told me that on the main airlines, you now have to bring your own screen - is that true?

I flew out with Aer Lingus and while I like Aer Lingus the food was muck. It was awful this time but was great in January when I flew over. I paid for the middle fare type which includes a bag , seat selection and meal and in this case it was better than Aer Lingus.

As for movies / entertainment I normally use my iPad or iPhone for movies etc or sleep. One thing you could do is get a trial for Netflix if you want entertainment and save the content for offline or something. This is a complete non issue for me but I can see why it might be a cause fr concern for others.

Staff wise I couldn’t fault Norwegian at all. They were the bubbliest and friendliest I’ve met since flying with Emirates / Qantas. I know it’s down to an individuals experience but I fly regularly with Aer Lingus , delta, British Airways and they were as pleasant as any of them. If anything I found them better than American Airlines anyway.

I almost sound like I work for them and boosting their rep but I was so happy with their service I couldn’t knock it.

*One thing I would draw your attention to is that they did weigh everyone’s hand luggage for the flight. I don’t know that they would stop anyone for it being too heavy but this isn’t something I’ve experienced outside of Ryanair. I have a decent size Nike gearbag that I usually use for carry on and get away with it all the time but I wouldn’t be surprised if they’d have stopped me had I tried it with them. I just checked that bag in to save myself any hassle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭shinju

It was a brand new plane. Get onto YouTube aand have a look at some of the videos.

For the price, i was happy. I had zero expectations. Gone are the days of first class service across the Atlantic (unless you are prepared to pay for it).

With Norwegian, you book a cheap flight and temper things by purchasing food etc. at the airport prior to takeoff. In fact one gets a much better meal this way.

Make sure that you have your movies, Netflix downloads, music etc. on your device so you have a screen to watch things over.

It's just like an Aer Fungus or CryanAir flight between Dublin & Nice...only longer.

Check out Anker battery chargers on Amazon. These units will power you over there and for the next week!!

Advertisement