Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 Armed merman on a moose in tallaght

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I'm glad it all ended well. I find it worrying how long it took to arrest him though. Not sure it bodes well for more serious incidents that may occur if a coked up scumbag living out his GTA fantasies managed to cause such prolonged havok.

It was one guy on his own and he changed car 6 times in the space of a few hours. If he'd actually stopped and starting shooting people I think the police would have found him quick enough and probably killed him. The whole place was crawling with hundreds of armed police. I think they handled the situation pretty well.

You'd wonder what the fcuk was going through his head though... He gets into a domestic with his gf at 6am on a monday, leaves the house, comes back a machinegun and then goes on a car stealing spree??? He was lucky the cops didn't shoot him, running into a busy shopping like that with a gun ffs. If this was the USA he'd be dead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

MadYaker wrote: »
    He was lucky the cops didn't shoot him, running into a busy shopping like that with a gun ffs. If this was the USA he'd be dead.

He had dropped the gun a little while before he was caught, I'd say if he still had it with him when they caught up with him it probably would have ended differently.

This image shows the weapon discarded, a PPS 43 (or foreign knock off)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Thought it was handled well. Nobody was shot or hurt(from what I read), and they got their man.

Can't really ask for more.

Jesus, I wonder was he an active member of one of DUblin's well known gangs. He must've been if had one of those lying around.

Imagine being carjacked by him shoving that in your face, I wouldn't be right for weeks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Fair play to the Gardai for arresting him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

beertons wrote: »
    8 hours, in 5/6 different cars. And he gets from Jobstown to Citywest.

What am I missing here? He could have walked that in an hour, comfortably.

Just aswell it wasn't a terrorist attack intent on killing people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,456 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I think the gards done a great job. They caught him and no one was killed thankfully.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Have they found out where he got the gun yet?

the_syco wrote: »
    Have they found out where he got the gun yet?

Id say he got it from his house to be honest. The guys identity isn't known yet afaik but id bet money he has many previous convictions, probably involving weapons and drugs. I'd be amazed if this was his first rodeo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Id say he got it from his house to be honest. The guys identity isn't known yet afaik but id bet money he has many previous convictions, probably involving weapons and drugs. I'd be amazed if this was his first rodeo.
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/moment-man-is-arrested-following-dramatic-crime-spree-in-which-six-cars-were-hijacked-and-two-injured-36252879.html

Independent.ie has learned that this individual previously served a lengthy prison term for armed robbery and has also served a sentence in the UK after being involved in a robbery and car-jacking.

During the armed robbery in Dublin, his accomplice was fatally wounded after being stabbed.

• Advertisement

No surprises there. I hope gets 10 years. He'll probably get 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

AMKC wrote:
    no one was killed thankfully.

You should thank the raving lunatic for that, not the guards.

If he had shot everyone he encountered today it would have been a bloodbath.

No alerts to warn the public and not one checkpoint setup in the area, I think it was a fairly amateur response from the guards.

Thankfully it was a friendly lunatic just having the craic.

No surprises there. I hope gets 10 years. He'll probably get 2.

Well according to the above quote he served a lengthy sentence .He is in his 30.s so unless he was jailed when he was 10 it cant have been that lengthy and no matter how long it wasnt long enough .
    City West is full of young kids and anything could have happened today .Luckily it didnt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Just aswell it wasn't a terrorist attack intent on killing people

Considering the resources he evaded including 2 helicopters ,one police and one army and at least 20 +police vehicles ,

Schools went into lock down in the vacinity ,ours had no clue how to actually do it ,

We are heading for disaster with our eyes closed in the current climate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Jaysus, if that today was the result of a drinking binge, it would put that of your mate Henry Sellers' to shame.

An eyewitness on rte news said a package of white powder fell out of his pocket during his arrest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Independent.ie has learned that this individual previously served a lengthy prison term for armed robbery and has also served a sentence in the UK after being involved in a robbery and car-jacking.
    If "lengthy prison term" was in Ireland, it must have been bad, as we generally give 6 month suspended prison sentences for anything except murder and importing garlic as apples.

City West is full of young kids and anything could have happened today .Luckily it didnt

So is the rest of tallaght and the street he started this in Jobstown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I'm glad it all ended well. I find it worrying how long it took to arrest him though. Not sure it bodes well for more serious incidents that may occur if a coked up scumbag living out his GTA fantasies managed to cause such prolonged havok.

I agree. WTF took them so long to catch him? He could have caused some serious damage with that gun if he wanted to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Gatling wrote: »
    Considering the resources he evaded including 2 helicopters ,one police and one army and at least 20 +police vehicles ,

Schools went into lock down in the vacinity ,ours had no clue how to actually do it ,

You think back on that hotel shooting....took gaurds 45 mins or so to arrive to it

If them lads had intent on a massacre....deosnt bear thinking on

So is the rest of tallaght and the street he started this in Jobstown

Yes I know . I left my house with a young child not knowing that this was very close to home .I would not have left had I known .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Dropping the gun was the only intelligent thing this guy has done all day. Nutter running around waving a machine gun in a shopping centre full of mothers with kids...don't think the Guards would have been using inappropriate force to shoot him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Any other country and this dude be put down on the ground first opportunity

Just heard on the news that the machine gun was jammed when the Gardai found it .Otherwise who knows what could have happened today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭Haithabu

So he car jacked 3 cars and is walking around with a machine gun..
    Maybe he has missed his bus, I know how that feels. First day at work and did not want to be late.

Or he just hates Mondays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

No alerts to warn the public and not one checkpoint setup in the area, I think it was a fairly amateur response from the guards.

So true - the bad guy never gets any credit for zero fatalities in an incident such as this.

I think we should commend him, then this may have a ripple effect, and the next bandit may pause for a moment whilst rampaging, and ponder what may happen if he doesn't fill people full of holes.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Haithabu wrote: »
    Maybe he has missed his bus, I know how that feels. First day at work and did not want to be late.

Or he just hates Mondays.

uh-oh-sounds.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

That's mental, hope your kids and missus are ok! Could have been far worse I suppose.

There grand thanks :)

Its funny we always warn him about making sure he never goes off with strangers etc so the fact he seen a stranger walking off with his sister today even though she was helping at the time he keeps asking why was that woman trying to take her ha.

Actually at the time i legged it down to get them outside in the car park they let people back in to get things they had left behind. Me daughters buggy with me girlfriends bag was still sitting there at the self service checkout. All he got upset over was the fact they made us leave again and his pastry was still at the till :pac:.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Are you insane ?

every media outlet in the county was carrying the story constantly all over twitter facebook and every other kind of media possible ,

did you want a call from the president or what ?

, hundreds of gardai from wexford ports to the northern boarder airports etc looking for him (might be why he changed cars 6 times )

not one shot was fired either in a confrontation in a public place or to arrest him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

mynamejeff wrote: »

not one shot was fired either in a confrontation in a public place or to arrest him

His gun was jammed

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

gctest50 wrote: »
    His gun was jammed

and the dozens of armed gardai knew that how ?

dont you think they did a better job than most american cops would have ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Naa, should have killed the fecker. Save time, money, and people down the line...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

What type of gun was it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

What? This was all over the radio as it was happening!!!!

Just because you didn't drive up to any checkpoints doesn't necessarily mean they didn't happen. None of us have any idea of the specific steps that were taken in response to this tbf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Yes I know . I left my house with a young child not knowing that this was very close to home .I would not have left had I known .
    What's the age of people got to do with anything? Anybody being injured in a situation like today would be a travesty, child or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

If they didn't know - they should have shot him dead much much earlier on

This is what they need to be doing instead of playing GTA with their little Q7s n other toys
    “The suspect definitely had high ground at all of the ground officers, was firing indiscriminately at them — and actually fired at the helicopter, we believe,” Beck said.

After the man was shot, his body rolled down a ravine, where he was pronounced dead.

• Advertisement

Get the feeling he ran out of bullets rather than the gun jammed ,

Still think he should have been taken out earlier ,the garda made a pigs meal out of the arrest as soon as it was known he was at citywest the shopping centre should have locked the outer doors ,and the shops inside should have done the same ,

If he decided he was going shoot his way out tens would have caught in a cross fire because they never secured the area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

He'll be out in time for his Christmas bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I believe Garda protocol is not to engage in car chases with people on the run as that is obviously risking people’s lives on the road. Whether that protocol is changed when the suspect is armed I don’t know. It must be a tough call but I’d say if he didn’t kill his girlfriend or the man in the house, he obviously wasn’t on a murder spree so it would be deemed more dangerous to chase him rather than let him run out of steam. Also, he handed himself in before which says something. Sounds like a guy making a cry for help more than a genuine psychopath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Sounds like a guy making a cry for help more than a genuine psychopath.

"Help me, I'm a sociopath".

Glazers Out!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

No one got seriously hurt and he was successfully apprehended without riddling him with bullets like would have happened in the US (and UK) and people still criticise the guards. Not sure why I'd be surprised at this. Same sh*te every time the guards do something, people go around saying what they should have done from the comfort of their couches...like they know what they're talking about...

This was all over the news all day yesterday morning on the radio and online and I'm sure on TV too. The guy was in cars, they were hardly going to be blasting all over the radio what exactly they were doing to stop him.

.....to the person who said they wouldn't have left the house, it wouldn't have mattered. He barged in to someones house to get their car keys from what I read yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

There are some grade a clowns on facebook

"was there really all that need for so many gaurds"

"Corrupt garda"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Love the title of this thread !!
    I'm thinking of a Sun headline :

TERROR ON THE STREETS OF TALLAGHT AS ARMED MANIAC ON RAMPAGE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Get the feeling he ran out of bullets rather than the gun jammed ,

Still think he should have been taken out earlier ,the garda made a pigs meal out of the arrest as soon as it was known he was at citywest the shopping centre should have locked the outer doors ,and the shops inside should have done the same ,

If he decided he was going shoot his way out tens would have caught in a cross fire because they never secured the area

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think any shots were fired at any stage of this incident. Hard to see how he ran out of bullets if that's the case.

By the way, if the gun jammed, it's usually easy enough to remove the offending bullet without tools.

What's the age of people got to do with anything? Anybody being injured in a situation like today would be a travesty, child or not.

her age mattered because I was in charge of her ? Why the aggression ?
    Of course the age doesn't matter if someone is injured but our instinct is to protect the young if we are aware of danger
    It was a simple comment nothing more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

mynamejeff wrote:
    Are you insane ?

I don't think so.
    mynamejeff wrote:
    every media outlet in the county was carrying the story constantly all over twitter facebook and every other kind of media possible ,

It was a good 3+ hours after 3 armed GTA, an armed home invasion and an assault with a deadly weapon had occurred before any news station carried anything other then "there's an ongoing situation in Tallaght".

Tallaght is a big area. The Gards had a description of this guy and knew he was armed and roughly where Tallaght he was long before any credible info/warning was issued.

There was no checkpoints put in place from Jobstown to Belgard to Templeogue. None.
    mynamejeff wrote:

That's swell.

Look I don't think it's an easy job and I'm not a Garda basher.

I just don't view it as a great response from them. I was saying it to the wife last night, she reckons if he was killing people the response would have been better. Maybe she's right. I don't think she is though.

I think that was the limit of the Gards capabilities to a fast moving rampage.

I think it will unfortunately take a massacre to get the public outcry we'd need to see them overhaul it.

Like Amber Alert in the states, they unfortunately needed a tragedy to reassess their response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I'm with PokeHerKing - I think this was probably close to our best, and has a bit of keystone cops about it.

It's comparing apples and oranges, but I think in London he'd probably have been shot dead inside an hour. There's no way some lunatic would be playing out a game of real life GTA for half the day.

It's not like he travelled the length and breadth of the country, hiding and evading capture - he stayed in a fairly compact circle drawing attention to himself the whole time!

I'm with PokeHerKing - I think this was probably close to our best, and has a bit of keystone cops about it.

It's comparing apples and oranges, but I think in London he'd probably have been shot dead inside an hour. There's no way some lunatic would be playing out a game of real life GTA for half the day.

It's not like he travelled the length and breadth of the country, hiding and evading capture - he stayed in a fairly compact circle drawing attention to himself the whole time!

Even stopping at Topaz at the Ninth Lock for Lugozade and sweets !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

If I read correctly then 7 or 8 carjackings, if so the description of what they are looking for changes multiple times, thus making it more difficult to apprehend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I'm not sure that he would have been.

Outside of Northern Ireland, most UK police don't carry guns, just like here in the Republic. US police may be more trigger happy, but it isn't as if they shoot all carjackers on site. I'm sure there are plenty of them in US prisons.

There are a hell of a lot of the police in Britain armed these days.
    BTW do they take them off site to shoot them ?

Exactly.
    This incident highlight how unprepared we are for a terrorist attack.

Over 7 hours to apprehend one individual in a small enough geographical area using cars to get around and not really attempting to hide.

It also draws into question the SOPs the AGS have in place that they can allow a guy toting a sub machine gun have free rein of an area for up to 8 hours.
    begbysback wrote: »
    If I read correctly then 7 or 8 carjackings, if so the description of what they are looking for changes multiple times, thus making it more difficult to apprehend

He was in small enough area and I presume he wasn't driving around like a normal responsible driver.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

jmayo wrote: »
    There are a hell of a lot of the police in Britain armed these days.
    BTW do they take them off site to shoot them ?

Exactly.
    This incident highlight how unprepared we are for a terrorist attack.

Over 7 hours to apprehend one individual in a small enough geographical area using cars to get around and not really attempting to hide.

It also draws into question the SOPs the AGS have in place that they can allow a guy toting a sub machine gun have free rein of an area for up to 8 hours.

He was in small enough area and I presume he wasn't driving around like a normal responsible driver.

I think your over doing it somewhat.

Terrorist attacks have a clear agenda to cause disruption and make it known, so can be identified and reacted to.

You claim this person made no effort to hide. I heard on the radio throughout the day that it didn't seem too clear who the person was, nor what their motives were. And they didn't seem to be established until the lead up to his capture.

• Advertisement
Advertisement