Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM supporters

• 23-10-2017 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

Hi. Where are the best places to park up between miles 18-22 that are easily accessible coming in from the West on M50.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Route map is: here

18-22 is between Terenure and Roebuck. Over that stretch, support is usually most appreciated on the Roebuck Road hill-climb to the top of Fosters. Lots of space for spectating there too and easier to spot people you know.

I'd suggest exiting the M50 at Sandyford, taking a right at Goatstown, park up at Deerpark, and walk up to to the top of Roebuck/Foster. Google Maps Route here.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Tommy Max

Thanks Krusty. Much appreciated.

Is there lots of parking space around deerpark?

Tommy Max wrote: »
    Is there lots of parking space around deerpark?
    I wouldn't know for certain Tommy, but it's a quiet residential area on a Bank Holiday weekend, so shouldn't be a problem to find a spot around there somewhere, if you get there in enough time. There are a few spots directly outside the Deerpark (park), but anywhere around that park will be 500-600m from the course.

You could also try to get to Terenure or Milltown, they're just further away and more tricky from the M50. Top of Roebuck will be easy to get in, and easy to get back out again! Another option would be to drop off the car at a green line LUAS car park and get the LUAS into Milltown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I wouldn't know for certain Tommy, but it's a quiet residential area on a Bank Holiday weekend, so shouldn't be a problem to find a spot around there somewhere, if you get there in enough time. There are a few spots directly outside the Deerpark (park), but anywhere around that park will be 500-600m from the course.

You could also try to get to Terenure or Milltown, they're just further away and more tricky from the M50. Top of Roebuck will be easy to get in, and easy to get back out again! Another option would be to drop off the car at a green line LUAS car park and get the LUAS into Milltown.

With the Milltown option you could get there early, get breakfast in the dropping well, watch the runners and get the luas into town to see them finish the race!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

If I was to get the luas as far as Hueston, how long approx would it take to walk to the phoenix park to see the runners - is there an entrance near there to get in? I've only ever been in the park when running DCM.

And then I could make my way to Stephens Green and take the green luas to Miltown??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

RubyK wrote: »
    If I was to get the luas as far as Hueston, how long approx would it take to walk to the phoenix park to see the runners - is there an entrance near there to get in? I've only ever been in the park when running DCM.

And then I could make my way to Stephens Green and take the green luas to Miltown??

5 mins from Hueston to the Park, maybe 10 to get to where the runners will be on Chesterfield Ave.

You could get a bus then from PP down town and walk over to Stephen's Green, otherwise that's about a 40 min walk (actually 46a will probably bring you direct from PP to SG)

Better to head to Usher's Quay and spectate from there, as at least it's on the way to the Green LUAS line.

Dublin Bikes is a great way to get around, if you're already subscribed. You could pick up a bike from Heuston, ride to Usher's Quay, cycle onwards to Stephen's Green, or outwards to South Circular Road (which is what we did last year). You can get a 3 day ticket for €5, and then there's an hourly charge (after the first 30 minutes), just keep it off the route.
    You could get a bus then from PP down town and walk over to Stephen's Green, otherwise that's about a 40 min walk (actually 46a will probably bring you direct from PP to SG)
    Significant road restrictions will hamper the 46a route during/before the race. It's start and terminating at Sussex Road until 10am. List of Dublin Bus Diversions.

Krusty's marathon spectator tour service will be launching next year. You can join it for free this year - you just have to run at sub 5:50/mile pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Is the Red line Luas operational during the marathon? I see the route crosses the Luas around Blackhall place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Significant road restrictions will hamper the 46a route during/before the race. If it's running, I'm not sure what route it will take during race hours.

Krusty's marathon spectator tour service will be launching next year. You can join it for free this year - you just have to run at sub 5:50/mile pace.

Yes of course they will :rolleyes:!!!!! (rolling those eyes at myself!) Just listen to Krusty RK :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Better to head to Usher's Quay and spectate from there, as at least it's on the way to the Green LUAS line.

Thank you, I might do that.
    Dublin Bikes is a great way to get around, if you're already subscribed. You could pick up a bike from Heuston, ride to Usher's Quay, cycle onwards to Stephen's Green, or outwards to South Circular Road (which is what we did last year). You can get a 3 day ticket for €5, and then there's an hourly charge (after the first 30 minutes), just keep it off the route.

It would be safe for everyones sake if I didn't get on a bike :D
    Significant road restrictions will hamper the 46a route during/before the race. It's start and terminating at Sussex Road until 10am. List of Dublin Bus Diversions.

lol i'll have to stick with the luas so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Is the Red line Luas operational during the marathon? I see the route crosses the Luas around Blackhall place.

yes, it will be stopped for about 90 minutes, but will start again once the tail walkers have crossed the line, about 10.30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

RayCun wrote: »
    yes, it will be stopped for about 90 minutes, but will start again once the tail walkers have crossed the line, about 10.30

That's what I was thinking. Thanks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

We don't run along any road in the same direction as the tracks early on do we, just crossing them at 90degrees?

Having nightmares about slipping on tracks in the melee for the first few miles.

robinph wrote: »
    We don't run along any road in the same direction as the tracks early on do we, just crossing them at 90degrees?

Having nightmares about slipping on tracks in the melee for the first few miles.

You cross them at 90 degrees both times, the green line at Stephen's green and the red line at Blackhall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Lads, I remember last year someone posted a brilliant spreadsheet with the times people would get to certain points along the route depending on their finishing goal. Has anyone any idea where I could find this please?

Thanks a million.

Lads, I remember last year someone posted a brilliant spreadsheet with the times people would get to certain points along the route depending on their finishing goal. Has anyone any idea where I could find this please?

Thanks a million.

not the spreadsheet, but something similar here
    http://sseairtricitydublinmarathon.ie/traffic-information/

RayCun wrote: »
    not the spreadsheet, but something similar here
    http://sseairtricitydublinmarathon.ie/traffic-information/

Thank you, I looked everywhere except traffic information!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭notlongleft

Luas red line is expecting to be off from 9am - 10.15 and green line off from 8.55 until 9.30am. I m hoping to get the red line about 8.45 down to phoenix park and get it back aswell but we ll see how it pans out. Then head out to Milltown and get bus/luas back into town for finish.

Dublin bikes are a great option too. Into town for the start and then zip up to the Phoenix park and then out to Milltown before heading for the finish. The only catch being the station on mount street will be closed so you'll have to leave it back further up the canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭notlongleft

I havent been on a bike in years and although I assume the city is going to be quiet in the bus lanes at 9am on a Sunday morning I think I am too nervous to cycle.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Bikes are a good way to get around but the remember that the course is on closed roads so you won't be able to cycle on the course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

If any supporters get the clapper things that Airtricity are giving out at the expo for kids, make sure you remind kids that they must be binned after the event and under no circumstances can they be used in the house after the marathon!

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    If any supporters get the clapper things that Airtricity are giving out at the expo for kids, make sure you remind kids that they must be binned after the event and under no circumstances can they be used in the house after the marathon!

I wish they wouldn't hand those out at all. When you're hitting a wall that sound is like a kango hammer through the centre of your brain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ooter

You would be better off getting off at Smithfield and catch the runners crossing James Joyce bridge, that way you'd be a lot closer to Stephens green.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Still have the clapping hands from a couple of years ago in Dublin. They permanently live in the running buggy and are used weekly at parkrun. Might have to get a spare set as not sure how much longer they will last though.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

Will there be taxis running inside the marathon route?

Advertisement