Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner Courses

Options
  • 23-10-2017 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭

hi Guys

myself and my friend are just about to try and play full courses for the 1st time after a long time playing par 3 golf. any recommendations for good courses to start off with around south dublin mainly.

Trying to get out a bit during winter when we can so were not that big of a nuisance come peak season

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,957 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

sky88 wrote: »
    hi Guys

myself and my friend are just about to try and play full courses for the 1st time after a long time playing par 3 golf. any recommendations for good courses to start off with around south dublin mainly.

Trying to get out a bit during winter when we can so were not that big of a nuisance come peak season

Depends where you are, best to join somewhere within 20 minutes of where you live/work.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Skyfloater

I can tell you where not to go, Stepaside 9 hole truly awful. Djouce, if you have a car is open enough. Is it weekends only? if so, then you're limited to possibly Roundwood, leopardstown and whatever pops up on teetimes.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Skyfloater wrote: »
    I can tell you where not to go, Stepaside 9 hole truly awful. Djouce, if you have a car is open enough. Is it weekends only? if so, then you're limited to possibly Roundwood, leopardstown and whatever pops up on teetimes.ie

Stepaside would be perfect. Cheap and easy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Skyfloater wrote: »

while i would never have any interest in playing there, it is actually a decent track for someone playing golf for the first time.
    i havent played it in years and condition was never great, but for a first time on a golf course, it is ideal to get used to playing longer holes than par 3's

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Seve OB wrote: »
    while i would never have any interest in playing there, it is actually a decent track for someone playing golf for the first time.
    i havent played it in years and condition was never great, but for a first time on a golf course, it is ideal to get used to playing longer holes than par 3's

+1

It's ideal for beginners. They can wear whatever they want, no pressure and it's also handy enough and cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Skyfloater

I played there a few times over a dozen years ago, and like you say it was fine then. However, I tried again around this time last year and I squelched my way around in the mud to temporary greens, the fairways were like a meadow.
    I think that for the sake for 5 or 10 euro, you could have an altogether more pleasant experience in the likes of Grange Castle or Beech Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,957 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

The 7 hole course is Grange Castle is usually quiet enough and would be a good place to start.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Much appreciated the suggestions lads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Leopardstown is good for beginners but mostly a ladies course these days

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Leopardstown is good for beginners but mostly a ladies course these days
    +1

If you just want to play a bit of golf and not pay big green fees, it ticks the box. I played there a few times as it was close to work and during the summer it was feasible to play 18 holes after work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement