Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good Allrounder Box

• 23-10-2017 1:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭

I am looking for recommendations for a good all-round box.

I have a satellite connection I’m planning to use for FTA channels. I use a bit of IPTV every now and then and I have a medium size movie collection on hard disk.

Right now I have two boxes, one ancient popcornhour for the movie collection that has a nice catalog using YAMJ. And one zgemma that I use for SAT and IPTV.

The popcorn is ancient like I said and the zgemms is not fantastic on the IPTV front.

I’d love to get a Linux E2 box like the zgemma but with a bit more oompf and better IPTV support. I’d like it to manage the movie collection too like I have on the popcorn with YAMJ.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭tapfit2004

Something like a vu duo2 would run a lot quicker. Theres also a few 4k linux boxes that are out in the last year or so but they could be in the €400+ price range.

I have a duo2, an xtrend et10000 and a couple of xtrend et8000's. I prefer the xtrends to the duo2 but you won't see many xtrends 8000 or 10000's for sale anymore bar secondhand ones.

The duo2 can have up to 4 satellite tuners (a dual tuner in each slot) or 2 satellite and 1 dvb-t2/c tuner. The et8000 has 3 slots for a mixture of whatever you want and the et10000 has 4 tuner slots. I have managed to internally fit 2 usb dvb-t into an et8000 using a usb hub from the front usb port and they work perfectly alongside the 3 original tuners making it a 5 tuner box (2 dvb-s2, 2 dvb-t and one dvb-c). I can record 4 HD channels and watch a fifth with no glitching.

Theres more info on these type of boxes in the foreign satellite section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

TBH I tossed all my external boxes as my TV has a sat and aerial connection plus it has a built in DLNA player which plays any movies off my PB share or an external USB drive. The built in you tube and Netflix apps are used all the time by the kids so. So my view is a decent smart TV negates the need for any external boxes but each to their own.

Advertisement