Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiple Pre-Autorisations from one institution.

Options
  • 23-10-2017 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi, I have a general query on Pre-authorisations, can you have multiple pre-authorisation on your account from one institution say a hotel?

For example I book a hotel for Monday and on arrival I give my debit card for pre-auth, I check out on Tuesday and pay by cash, but then I need to stay Tuesday night and I book and use the same debit card for pre-auth, will the original pre-auth still be active/updated or will a new one be created meaning I have two pre-auth in action?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭Tow

A new one will be generated.  Each one will reserve the money from your account until it is released.  This may take a couple of weeks to drop off, as you are paying by cash.  Even paying by credit card may leave it there, as the staff often just put a new charge on the card.  This is the problem with shoehorning the credit card system into a debit card one.  The staff at the hotel will most probably know no better...

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭keane16

Tow wrote: »
    A new one will be generated.  Each one will reserve the money from your account until it is released.  This may take a couple of weeks to drop off, as you are paying by cash.  Even paying by credit card may leave it there, as the staff often just put a new charge on the card.  This is the problem with shoehorning the credit card system into a debit card one.  The staff at the hotel will most probably know no better...
    Thats great, thanks for your reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

keane16 wrote: »
    Hi, I have a general query on Pre-authorisations, can you have multiple pre-authorisation on your account from one institution say a hotel?

For example I book a hotel for Monday and on arrival I give my debit card for pre-auth, I check out on Tuesday and pay by cash, but then I need to stay Tuesday night and I book and use the same debit card for pre-auth, will the original pre-auth still be active/updated or will a new one be created meaning I have two pre-auth in action?

Hi keane16,

Thanks for your message.

If a retailer processes a transaction on the account and then cancels or voids the transaction (as would be case with pre-authorisation transactions) the transaction will show on your account until we get confirmation from the retailers bank that this transaction has been cancelled or voided. If a retailer did more then one of these pre-authorisation transactions they can all show on the account at the same time.
    Please be assured that they will fall off your account as soon as we get confirmation that the transactions were cancelled or voided by the retailers bank.

Thanks again for getting in touch,
    Darren

Advertisement