Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AHPRA: A GUIDE FOR IRISH MIDWIVES AND NURSES

Options
  • 23-10-2017 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi Guys,
    This is just a little thread with some information about applying for registration in Australia.
    I have just sent off for my registration today (fingers crossed it's approved) so I wanted to do this while its fresh in my mind! First of all, I am not an expert in this, only giving advice on what I have learned along the way and where to find stuff! I was lucky enough to have guidance from someone experienced with the form.

Ok, so first of all the form you are looking for is called ''Application for general registration for internationally qualified nurses and midwives AG0S-40''. You can download from AHPRA's website!
    All the bits you need to get for it are clearly stated on the form, and there is a checklist at the back. I am just going to go through the parts where I think information would be beneficial for you.

Q.10. You need to request your transcripts from your college, this didn't cost much, maybe about €20-30? So for AHPRA, you are required to provide evidence of Medication management, and that you did in excess of 800 hours of clinical placement (this is not mentioned on the form). I requested this from my college also and they sent it out with my transcripts.

As part of the application (q.12) you need to arrange for a certificate of good standing to be sent DIRECTLY to AHPRA. A bit of advice I was given was to apply for this just before you sent off your form, as it is only valid for 3 months after distribution. The same goes for the international criminal history check (ICHC) (Q.16).

For q.12 you need to go onto NMBI's website and look for the PSCC form. Its very straightforward to fill out, and costs €80. I had been told that it took them ages to do it, but it had actually been done within 48 hours of requesting it. So again, NMBI send this directly to AHPRA, and you will receive a confirmation letter of same in the post.

Q.13 You can get your statement of service from HR, this has to be on headed paper. This must confirm your dates of employment, if you are full time or part time and your title (Nurse or Midwife). Again, this only took 48 hours to be done after I requested it.

Next is the ICHC (Q.16) The website you go for this is www.Fit2work.com.au, the form is fairly straightforward also, and costs approx €114. Again, I would advise you to do this just before you send off your form as it is only valid for 3 months. For this, they also send their results DIRECTLY to AHPRA. All you need to do is print out the reference page they e-mail you and include it in your pack.

For Q.17,you have to demonstrate your English Language competency. So as you'll see, they're are a number of routes in which this can be done. I did the Primary Language pathway. For this, I got a letter from my secondary school AND my college stating that I had been taught and assessed in English. This HAS to be certified by a Notary Public/ Justice of the peace. (Side note, for a list of Notary public's in your area go to www.notarypublic.ie). - P.S this can be expensive so shop around for a good price.

Q.27 From reading online, a lot of people got this question wrong. If you are currently registered in Ireland your answer will be Yes to this question.

FINALLY:

In relation to documents needed. Here is a list of what I had.
    So for Q.4 Passport, Drivers Licence and Car insurance CERTIFIED

Q.10 a CERTIFIED copy of my degree and transcripts

Q.14 A CV and statement of service from HR. AHPRA have guidelines for the CV on their website. At the back of the CV you have to write a statement that says '' This curriculum vitae is true and correct as at [insert date]. You then have to sign and date it yourself as well.

In relation to certifying documents, the form clearly states what documents have to be certified. I had read some stuff online about people not certifying the right stuff so I just got everything certified just in case (bar my CV, and ICHC reference page). Another piece of advise I was given was to photocopy everything in the application before I sent it off, so you have an exact replica to hand in case AHPRA have any questions

Time wise, I will update this (if i remember to) a timeline of how long the process takes and further information they require from me if needed. On their website it says 6 weeks. From advice I was given, and from talking to other who have moved out, make this at least 3 months in your head.

Ok, that's about all I can remember at the minute! I hope this helps you a small bit at least. Best of luck with your application, fingers crossed both of us get accepted!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 doublerainbow

UPDATE: I got approval for registration yesterday the 14/02/18, giving it a 4 month process time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 coralocks

Found this forum very helpful, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 imarina

Hello,

Congratulations on the approval of your application!

I know this threat is quite old but I am applying to AHPRA now and needing all the help I can get.

Can I ask, where/ how did you actually START ? I filled out the IQNM assessment and it is asking for a payment of 640AUSD before it can proceed. You didn't mention this in your forum, did you do it or did you go straight to the application AG0S-40 ?

Any and all help so appreciated !

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Joey99

This is a really great thread, and it mostly still seems highly relevant even though the original post is a few years old now. It would be great if more people who have gone through the process could share their more recent experiences, particularly any pitfalls or problems they encountered.

Watch out also for agencies that try and guide you through the process for a fee. From what I understand, the best jump off point for any application (nursing and midwifery or any other profession) is https://www.ahpra.gov.au/Registration/Registration-Process.aspx

I am also aware that Dublin 2 Notary have some information on their site about the certification end of the process: https://dublin2notary.ie/blog/getting-documents-notarised-for-ahpra They may be able to help if you have questions about that end of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 thankyoukindly

Hi there, I am a registered nurse in Ireland and I plan to move to Australia in September with a working holiday visa once I get my AHPRA pin.

I plan on travelling from June-September before settling in Australia.

I am just wondering from anyone who has done this before me,

• - how long before entering the country should you apply for AHPRA
    • - will my documents be valid having been stamped around 3 months before entering the country
    • - what is the best nursing agency to go with in Australia:)

thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

I started the process Feb 2023. First applied via cgfns portal for New Zealand nursing registration. This is quite straight forward & uploaded all the requested notarized documents, NMBI ccps, into the portal. Once I got the NZ nursing registration, I applied the same day itself Ahpra (TTMR pathway). Once I got the Ahpra registration, I started applying for jobs at www.seek.au, www.indeed.au etc.

I got offers from 3 hospitals in QLD. 1 of the hospital offered 186 PR visa sponsorship & good relocation incentive. I applied for Anmac assessment, got it done in 9 weeks. Currently waiting for visa nomination. Few of friends got placement via agencies such as cpl & ice jobs.

Advertisement