Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of our banks and looking to change....

• 23-10-2017 4:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭

Never been a person who could be called pro-bank, but this tracker scandal is for me the final straw.
    I'd like to do my bit in showing them what I think by moving my money somewhere else and having as little as possible to do with them.
    But so far I cant find any viable alternatives, aside from An Post Smart Account.
    Are there any other options worth considering? All I need is a standard current account with online banking, ability to set up dd's/standing orders, transfer money etc. Nothing fancy.
    Any suggestions welcome, thanks. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

There’s a thread on the An Post smart account and it does not make good reading. Avoid.

N26 is the pick of the bunch if you can live without Branch lodgements.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭lehe8707

Savman wrote: »
    There’s a thread on the An Post smart account and it does not make good reading. Avoid.

N26 is the pick of the bunch if you can live without Branch lodgements.

Yeah I'd recommend N26. I've used it as my primary account for 4 months now. Every utility and provider sky, bins, electricity, car loan, insurance all accepted it for SEPA DD. They needed to.enquore internally but it got done. Deposits guaranteed by the German central bank.

I did opt for black they're premium product but only because of the card - I'm a sucker.

Wifie has standard account and we have been perfectly happy.

Oh and our employers (tech firm & a farm) had no issues using it for salary payments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

lehe8707 wrote: »
    Yeah I'd recommend N26. I've used it as my primary account for 4 months now. Every utility and provider sky, bins, electricity, car loan, insurance all accepted it for SEPA DD. They needed to.enquore internally but it got done. Deposits guaranteed by the German central bank.

I did opt for black they're premium product but only because of the card - I'm a sucker.

Wifie has standard account and we have been perfectly happy.

Oh and our employers (tech firm & a farm) had no issues using it for salary payments

Cheers lads.
    My only concern is the atm charges, is it 5 free per month, then 2euro each time after that? I'd be a regular enoguh atm user, still a fan of cash in the wallet, and if those fees are correct it could add up very quickly.

terrydel wrote: »
    Cheers lads.
    My only concern is the atm charges, is it 5 free per month, then 2euro each time after that? I'd be a regular enoguh atm user, still a fan of cash in the wallet, and if those fees are correct it could add up very quickly.

Yep that's true.
    You can use cashback service with no charge though. I use plastic wherever I can.
    I use it in tandem with a revolutionary card and Revolut don't charge to top up from n26 so if I go over 5 then I transfer top up Revolut with eBay want to withdraw from n26 and withdraw using Revolut card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Delta2113

EBS Money Manager is the no brainer answer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Delta2113 wrote: »
    EBS Money Manager is the no brainer answer!

Did you need read the OP saying he's sick of our banks?

EBS is just a subsidiary of AIB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Did you need read the OP saying he's sick of our banks?

EBS is just a subsidiary of AIB

- Yes I did read -this account is FREE and everyone paying bank charges should take advantage off that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Delta2113 wrote: »
    - Yes I did read -this account is FREE and everyone paying bank charges should take advantage off that.

And what relevance is that to the OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

credit union?

BailMeOut wrote: »
    credit union?

Can you get an atm debit card with them, set up all my dd's/standing orders, have my wages paid into it etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,721 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I'd love to see a public banking system introduced in Ireland, there's very little confidence in our current banking system.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I'd love to see a public banking system introduced in Ireland, there's very little confidence in our current banking system.

Totally agree, in fact at this stage I'd go as far as saying its a dereliction of duty on behalf of the government and an insult to the citizens of the xountry that we dont have one, given the sheer scale of corruption and fraud that they have perpetrated against us and generations to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,721 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

terrydel wrote:
    Totally agree, in fact at this stage I'd go as far as saying its a dereliction of duty on behalf of the government and an insult to the citizens of the xountry that we dont have one, given the sheer scale of corruption and fraud that they have perpetrated against us and generations to come.

Even though I believe public banks have been and can be problematic, I do believe we truly need one now. It's disturbing to see very little has actually changed over the last few years within our banking system and even in our financial regulatory system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Can you get an atm debit card with them, set up all my dd's/standing orders, have my wages paid into it etc?

most wire features are available on at least some CU's (the one we use can do then) but they do not have ATM/Debit cards. One option is to get a prepaid debit card and wire money to it from your Credit Union account.

In USA you can bank via brokerage accounts so you can avoid using high street banks if you want. Maybe try someone TD Direct who do do Saving accounts in Ireland but may also have some bank like features.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

If you have a apple/android device and you are willing to pay a monthly fee (giving that you are considering AnPost), have a look at Bunq which charge 7.99 month.

Easy to open via the App, loads of good features and you can withdraw as much cash as you want and cashback is also supported.

Otherwise there is the mentioned N26 (free or premium).

Bunq has some nice features (approval of each individual direct debit occurrence) and does not do lending at all.

Whats bunq like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

In ground safe at home, control your own cash.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Use N26 and/or Revolut in tandem with a credit union account and you get all the functionality you need completely free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Don't leave an Irish bank simply because it is an Irish bank ... only do it if there is another option which in your opinion provides better and/or cheaper service.

Advertisement