Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finishing Wood question

• 23-10-2017 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

Newbie sorry if dumb

Do you guys always use a primer before painting/staining for indoors or outdoors items or can I just use an outdoor stain on its own?

If I have a piece for outdoors should I prime it first? Same applies for indoors stuff. I didn't think I had to for indoors anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Poloman wrote: »
    Newbie sorry if dumb

Do you guys always use a primer before painting/staining for indoors or outdoors items or can I just use an outdoor stain on its own?

If I have a piece for outdoors should I prime it first? Same applies for indoors stuff. I didn't think I had to for indoors anyway.

There is a big difference between paint and stain.Paint will always need a primer on bare wood. Outdoor stains like Sadolins are oil based and can go on directly but are really not suitable for indoors use - they take forever to dry and are smelly.Polyurethanes and lacquers all need sanding sealer or basecoat as a primer. I tend to use spray cans for small paint jobs and you can get primer sprays in various colours. Yes, its complicated.:D

Advertisement