Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard drive recovery

Options
  • 23-10-2017 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭

I've a western digital mybook live NAS which isn't booting since lost power during Ophelia. I know I should have had backups, but it's too late now.

I've removed the single 3TB sata HDD, and it seems functional. However due to Linux partitions, size, lack of knowledge I'm unable to recover my files.

I've tried a couple of different software packages to scan the drive. I can see partitions, but can't see their contents. I ran Ubuntu off a live CD, but couldn't mount the drive.

My heads wrecked, anyone got any suggestions?

(I've already in the process of getting a multi bay NAS to set up some drive mirroring)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

JamBur wrote: »
    I've a western digital mybook live NAS which isn't booting since lost power during Ophelia. I know I should have had backups, but it's too late now.

I've removed the single 3TB sata HDD, and it seems functional. However due to Linux partitions, size, lack of knowledge I'm unable to recover my files.

I've tried a couple of different software packages to scan the drive. I can see partitions, but can't see their contents. I ran Ubuntu off a live CD, but couldn't mount the drive.

My heads wrecked, anyone got any suggestions?

(I've already in the process of getting a multi bay NAS to set up some drive mirroring)

Run a Linux Live CD and become root user.
    You should then have access to all the Linux (and other) partitions and their contents.

If it was me I would use my favourite Linux and log in as root user, but I believe some hoops might have to be negotiated if using Ubuntu which uses 'sudo' to get temporary root privileges.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭JamBur

ED E wrote: »

Sounds like a plan.... Wish me luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

Sounds like a plan.... Wish me luck:)

disk and partitions are visible under linux in /dev folder

run ls -l /dev/sd*
    sda is a drive
    sda1 is 1st partition on drive
    sda2 - 2nd partition on drive

mkdir to create a folder in home folder (like root or something)

to mount partition use mount command
    like:

mount <what> <where>

mount /dev/sda1 /root/foldername

and then
    cd /root/foldername
    and
    ls
    to list files there.

hope it helps

Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

disk and partitions are visible under linux in /dev folder

run ls -l /dev/sd*
    sda is a drive
    sda1 is 1st partition on drive
    sda2 - 2nd partition on drive

mkdir to create a folder in home folder (like root or something)

to mount partition use mount command
    like:

mount <what> <where>

mount /dev/sda1 /root/foldername

and then
    cd /root/foldername
    and
    ls
    to list files there.

hope it helps

Tom

I would think it much easier to use a file manager through which the partitions can be mounted and contents copied out without resorting to a terminal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

I would think it much easier to use a file manager through which the partitions can be mounted and contents copied out without resorting to a terminal.

sorry i didn't thought about using gnome or something !!

for me it is easier to do it via command line

Tom

Thanks lads, I can understand how running via terminal would be easier for some, but my prior experience with Linux is extremely limited to say the least. I think something with a nice idiot friendly GUI might be more appropriate for me:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Thanks lads, I can understand how running via terminal would be easier for some, but my prior experience with Linux is extremely limited to say the least. I think something with a nice idiot friendly GUI might be more appropriate for me:)

Try knoppix. That's what I used

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

You could also take a look at gparted. It's GUI based and you can run it as a live cd/usb. I've been using it for years, can't recommend it enough.
    https://gparted.org/

Thanks for all the replies lads. Sorry it took a while to reply, it's been a busy few days. I retrieved my files today using a mixture of ext2fs, driveinternals and luck:) it was such a relief to see my files again!!

A 4 bay NAS is being collected tomorrow, and a new back up regime will begin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Thanks for all the replies lads. Sorry it took a while to reply, it's been a busy few days. I retrieved my files today using a mixture of ext2fs, driveinternals and luck:) it was such a relief to see my files again!!

A 4 bay NAS is being collected tomorrow, and a new back up regime will begin.

Three is two, two is one, one is none!

Having a scare that prompts change without any loss is always the ideal scenario.
    latest?cb=20120622143653

Advertisement