Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long to cancel a credit card?

Options
  • 23-10-2017 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi,
    I recently cleared my credit card and paid an extra €30 onto it (to cover 2017 stamp duty) and wrote a letter to BOI requesting the credit card be cancelled.
    I sent the letter on 13th but have heard nothing since and the credit card still appears on my 365 online.
    I realise we had the hurricane and post may have been delayed by a day etc but just wondering how long the process normally takes?
    Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

Bradt Pitt wrote: »
    Hi,
    I recently cleared my credit card and paid an extra €30 onto it (to cover 2017 stamp duty) and wrote a letter to BOI requesting the credit card be cancelled.
    I sent the letter on 13th but have heard nothing since and the credit card still appears on my 365 online.
    I realise we had the hurricane and post may have been delayed by a day etc but just wondering how long the process normally takes?
    Thanks in advance :)

Hi there,

Thanks for getting in touch with me here.

It can take a couple of days for an account to close once we receive confirmation of your closure. You should receive a closing statement in the post in the coming days. Also please be aware that your credit card wouldn't automatically taken down from your 365 online profile. I'd ask you to raise this through the "Ask a question" section of your 365 online profile and the advisers there will be able to both remove your credit card from your 365 profile and confirm that the card is now fully closed.

Thanks again,
    Darren.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bradt Pitt

Thanks Darren

Hi again,

Just an update: I received a letter from BOI on Tuesday 24th confirming that the credit card was indeed cancelled. I was asked to post back my credit card (cut in two), which I did. 
    BOI should have received it on Wednesday or Thursday at the latest.

I also sent a message to the helpdesk on 365 on Tuesday but have heard nothing since. 

I'd ring 365 online but the wait times have become really bad. I wonder if someone at BOI could call me back and remove the credit card for me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Nicola

Hi again,

Just an update: I received a letter from BOI on Tuesday 24th confirming that the credit card was indeed cancelled. I was asked to post back my credit card (cut in two), which I did. 
    BOI should have received it on Wednesday or Thursday at the latest.

I also sent a message to the helpdesk on 365 on Tuesday but have heard nothing since. 

I'd ring 365 online but the wait times have become really bad. I wonder if someone at BOI could call me back and remove the credit card for me?
    Hi Bradt Pitt, please can you login to 365 online now and let me know if you can still view the credit card in your list of accounts?

If you need to remove the credit card from your list of payees you'll be able to do this once you login. Just click 'Manage Accounts' on the menu on the left hand side and select 'Manage Payees'.

Thanks, Nicola

Hi Nicola,

Thanks for your reply. 

The credit card is still on my 365. 
    I've already deleted it from my list of payees but it's still appearing on the main page with a -€30 balance.

I tried ringing BOI today but gave up after 10 mins of listening to canned music. 
    Hopefully it will eventually disappear. Apart from yourselves here on boards - who are excellent - (and the regular branch staff) BOI's customer service is getting worse and worse. 
    I've moved my own accounts (and now credit card) to KBC. Free banking, a decent app and people actually answer the phone. 

Sad to see BOI falling so far behind the competition. 

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

Hi Nicola,

Thanks for your reply. 

The credit card is still on my 365. 
    I've already deleted it from my list of payees but it's still appearing on the main page with a -€30 balance.

I tried ringing BOI today but gave up after 10 mins of listening to canned music. 
    Hopefully it will eventually disappear. Apart from yourselves here on boards - who are excellent - (and the regular branch staff) BOI's customer service is getting worse and worse. 
    I've moved my own accounts (and now credit card) to KBC. Free banking, a decent app and people actually answer the phone. 

Sad to see BOI falling so far behind the competition. 
    Hi Bradt Pitt, 

Sorry to hear this and that you're unhappy with the service you've received. If you'd like to send us a PM here with the reference of your message on 365 Online we will ask our colleagues to have a look into this for you. Please click on the link in my signature to send a PM.

Thanks,
    Sarah

Hi Sarah, thanks for your message. I tried to PM you but got the following error message:

Bank of Ireland: Sarah has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

If you are trying to send this message to multiple recipients, remove Bank of Ireland: Sarah from the recipient list and send the message again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Kareana

Hi Bradt Pitt,

Sorry to hear this.

Please click on the link below our last response to yourself.

Please let us know if you need any further help sending us in a PM.

Thanks,

Kareana

... Please click on the link below our last response to yourself...
    What do you mean exactly? 

I can't PM you or Sarah. Just getting an error message.
    My reference number from the helpdesk was Re: [RefA9040106099073]

My credit card is still up on 365 online - even though I asked for it to be removed over a week ago. If you can sort it I'd appreciate it. 

Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Sorry about that Bradt Pitt. To access the link to our shared private message inbox you need to edit your Boards settings to set signatures to display. We’ll forward the reference to our colleagues and ask them to investigate and reply to your message. If we need any further details we’ll send you a private message here.

Thanks and have a lovely weekend,
    Tara

• Advertisement

Thanks Tara - it's been taken down at last. Much appreciated :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Glad to hear this Bradt Pitt and thanks for letting us know.

Tara

Advertisement