Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Give up on my Bangernomics Passat?

Options
  • 23-10-2017 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

So,
    I'm hoping to get some advice from those that are more mechanically minded than me.

I bought a B5 Passat (1.9 TDI 100) nearly two year ago and it has been a good reliable A - B for that time. However just the other day 2nd gear suddenly became difficult. It will go into second gear but unless timed perfectly, there'll be a grinding noise. I googled it and up popped some suggestions like perhaps the synchro is gone. But then just this morning 1st gear and 3rd are starting to go the same way.

I had hoped to limp the car into the new year and get rid of it then but that's looking impossible now.

I'm wondering is it worth it to bring it to a garage to have it looked at/ repaired. Or should I just go for another cheap-ish car? I'm coming up to my own wedding in the new year and had really hoped not to have to shell out.
    .. bearing in mind the car is an 04 Passat, dodgey central locking, leaking coolant, and slow oil leak... ( im really selling it arent I...)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I am possibly facing a similiar situation but my car isnt nearly as bad as yours sounds.
    Long story short there is a wealth of diesel cars on donedeal at the moment for around 2k with an 07 plate. The renault laguna can be got for that money easily and thats what I'll be spending my bangernomics money on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

I have a similar passat and its a serious workhorse.500 miles a week and 55mpg, Silly things like window regulators and central locking playup but engine and gearbox are seriously bulletproof. If I were you id change the gearbox oil and see if that improves things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

Oil won't solve it unless the box is low or nearly empty. The gearbox is known to go on that year passat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I wouldn't bother putting a bob into it. That era Passat can be a great workhorse or a bloody moneypit, it looks like yours is turning into the latter. €1500- 2000 will get you something decent on DD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Might be worth taking a punt and sticking a gearbox into it...it'll cost you a couple of hundred euro at the scrapyard plus labour...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

exaisle wrote: »
    Might be worth taking a punt and sticking a gearbox into it...it'll cost you a couple of hundred euro at the scrapyard plus labour...

If your putting a gearbox in,your going to be putting a clutch (dunno enough if it needs a flywheel then aswel?)....

Unless you can do it yourself and get the gearbox for <e150 would you be bothered...sure enough you go at that...it'll need drives etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Contrails

Thanks for your input folks.
    Given all the stuff that's wrong with it I probably will change it. I bring my little girl around in it and dodgey central locking that doesn't always like to cooperate isn't the safest either.

I'm also not in any way handy with the mechanical side so it's possible I'll have to pay someone a hundred quid to look at it and tell me it's no use.

I'll probably be moving to a petrol car, don't do the mileage for the diesel anyway.. 1.6 to 1.8 range type of thing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Are you 100% sure that the clutch is engaging fully?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭selectamatic

I'd definitely get the oil level in the gearbox checked and or changed just for curiosities sake.

Unlike the vag cars on the mk4 platform
    (ie. Sump busters)

The subframe and then the gearbox are the lowest points on a b5.5 Passat therefore it's not unknown for a box to develop a small leak. If that doesn't solve it I'd be inclined to move on but it'd be a shame to get rid of it if it was something as simple as gearbox oil causing the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Huawei Gallagher

I would adjust the clutch first, if the clutch is dodgy car will be difficult to get in to gear. Gearbox may be fine, clutch may be going or maybe just need adjustment. My clutch is dodgy and is causing me gearchange issues as we speak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

I would adjust the clutch first, if the clutch is dodgy car will be difficult to get in to gear. Gearbox may be fine, clutch may be going or maybe just need adjustment. My clutch is dodgy and is causing me gearchange issues as we speak.

You cant adjust the clutch on a passat or indeed any semi modern (00's up) car. Peugeot 309 was the last car I remember working on that had adjustment :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭ArnieSilvia

It's probably synchros but I'd check if clutch operates as it should i.e it can be related to leaking/failing slave or master cylinder. If you're not DIY then sell on DD and get something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Do exactly as you said, hand it over to a good indie mechanic and get it looked at...Was your 'biting' point for clutch almost zilch prior to these SERIOUS issues? No reason that particular car shouldn't be good for 500,000mls(bearing in mind REGULAR oil changes and good maintenance).... Mine was and I only changed it because I was in a position to do so. Same engine same gear box from new. Mine was 01 with no BIG issues, and on the gear box and clutch side of things maybe a couple of clutches and defo at least 2 Clutch master cylinders.. I would like to think it's just your master cylinder!? But who knows......... Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭kilianmanning

Clutch is probably worn. Give me a message op if you are getting rid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Sadly, at pre 2007 diesel, the chances are, your are going to buy someone elses "Cut your losses" car.

If your mileage isint massive, look into a reliable petrol maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Contrails

Do exactly as you said, hand it over to a good indie mechanic and get it looked at...Was your 'biting' point for clutch almost zilch prior to these SERIOUS issues? No reason that particular car shouldn't be good for 500,000mls(bearing in mind REGULAR oil changes and good maintenance).... Mine was and I only changed it because I was in a position to do so. Same engine same gear box from new. Mine was 01 with no BIG issues, and on the gear box and clutch side of things maybe a couple of clutches and defo at least 2 Clutch master cylinders.. I would like to think it's just your master cylinder!? But who knows......... Good Luck

Clutch seems fine to be honest. No slipping and biting point is same as it always has been.
    Just 1st and 2nd need a gentle hand.. 3rd occasionally grinds but mostly just 1st and 2nd.

Advertisement