Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Semi ds with adjoining hallways/stairs

Options
  • 23-10-2017 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭

What are peoples' experiences of living in semi d's with adjoining hallways (and stairs and maybe an adjoining bathroom and 1 bedroom)?

I am looking at houses for sale and 1 thing that always turns me off semi d's is the worry that the neighbours may be noisy. But I have never lived in a semi d with adjoining hallways/stairs and wonder if you can hear the same level of noise with them?

Thanks

Wanted to add- the house I'm thinking of buying would have been built in the 90s, I'm thinking..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I live in a terrace where the hall and stairs are right next to our livingroom and bedroom. I lived in a Semi-D before where the adjoining neighbors have a mirrored layout and the hall/stair wasn't adjoining but our bedroom was next to one of their daughters room.
    It depends on how sensitive you are. My current neighbors, the sound travels a fair bit but then we don't really care since it's a middle aged couple living there.
    In the last house you could hear the neighbors going to the toilet at night because the walls are thin, mind you a pretty standard 1930s Semi-D in Dublin.

With an older Semi you'll most definitely have noise travelling, no experience with new-builds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Our first semi-d home ('02 build) had adjoining stairs, hall, kitchen, box bedroom and small back bedroom.

I thought it was great. Our living room and master bedroom were completely away from any noise. Contrast that with an earlier rental we had where the living room adjoined next doors in the evening time and we heard everything going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I live in a duplex in a terrace. Built 2004. One side has stairs going up mirroring mine...never heard a thing. My sitting room mirrors one on other side, don't hear much except child appears to have taken up learning music...let's hope she improves. And soon. I can hear more upstairs. Let's put it this way, I wasn't surprised to hear my neighbour with child!

I grew up in a 1970 semi d and could hear windows being opened, floor boards etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Call me Al wrote: »
    Our first semi-d home ('02 build) had adjoining stairs, hall, kitchen, box bedroom and small back bedroom.

I thought it was great. Our living room and master bedroom were completely away from any noise. Contrast that with an earlier rental we had where the living room adjoined next doors in the evening time and we heard everything going on.
    +1 on this. Just bought a house with living room, kids room and two bedrooms on the 'outside' of the semi. Very quiet, don't hear anything from neighbours. House was built in 1983 with upgraded windows and doors. Was a bit concerned about rooms being cold as there are more external walls however haven't noticed anything so far so will see how it goes as the winter gets colder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

I reckon you're better off with the stairs on either side of the party wall.
    The alternative is for the bedrooms to be on either side of the party wall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Jim 77

I've experience of both types and they each have their advantages and disadvantages. The advantages of adjacent entrances have been mentioned but non-adjacent entrances are great if you have a garage or space to the side and you want to build a side extension.
    You can have a common entrance for the house and extension, what's more, you can extent the front of the extension to create a porch for the main house (and/or the extn). It's great if you want to create a "granny flat".

Advertisement