Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caravan electrics (connection to car)

• 23-10-2017 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi just purchased our first caravan and we are struggling with all the connections etc I'm sure it will all come together in time. We have a 7 pin 12n connection on the car and are trying to find out how easy I'd it to add the 12s connection so the fridge can run while driving. Whilst this isn't the be all and end all any advise or suggestions appreciated

Comments

Wouldn't bother. Just run a new fused 2 x 35mm² line on Anderson connections from the tow vehicle starter battery or starter motor. The voltage drop will kill you trying to run on those anaemic cable & connectors. The fridge won't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 bulbymc

Wouldn't bother. Just run a new fused 2 x 35mm² line on Anderson connections from the tow vehicle starter battery or starter motor. The voltage drop will kill you trying to run on those anaemic cable & connectors. The fridge won't work.

Thanks have not a clue what any of the above means but appreciate the response

Andrerson_SB50_120A_double_pole_power_connector_red_16mm2_cable_1[2].jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21 bulbymc

Andrerson_SB50_120A_double_pole_power_connector_red_16mm2_cable_1[2].jpg

Thank you I will show this to my husband and I'm sure we will figure it all out. Appreciate your response we were quoted e300 to get the two bar re wired today and I knew there would be a better way around it. Thank you

Sounds like a false economy because the fridge and caravan charge electrics won't work if you use standard tow-bar connectors and feeble wiring. 35mm² is about €8 a meter and you'll probably need 2 x 10m single core, terminations and labour. So yeah it'd be about same but the difference is it's fit for purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭oinkely

I wired in a 7S socket on the van when i bought a caravan. Was cheap enough for the parts, split relay thingy and socket itself with mounting plate and cable. Was a straightforward job if you are reasonably handy with electrics. Not sure it was a great benefit tbh, though does top up the leisure battery when driving after depleting it a bit with the motor mover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Got acid corrosion on grey socket under hitch.what's best to clean it out.
    Like to hook it up to trailer tent.
    Thanks

Dremel + wire brush.

111001-1.jpg

Small rounded file and electrical contact cleaner.
    Emery cloth and compressed air.
    Replace if it's real bad.

I've been known to use battery acid but it's not recommended practice and disconnect the battery because it's a conductor and might short if you turn the ignition on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Steel wool wrapped on a small drill bit might work for the female pins if it will fit, male pins harder without taking them out. If you go that route I'd use a 3mm masonry bit so theres less chance of gouging the brass

BushingRelievers.jpg

Clilit bang or other foaming citric acid based cleaners would probably help. Dilute phosphoric acid also works e.g. Furex kettle descaler (made in ireland and also good for eating rust) but realistically you'd probably have to take it off and dip it.

Advertisement