Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank requesting letter from Social Welfare in order to open an account

Options
  • 23-10-2017 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,
    When my wife (a non-EU ciitizen) went to BoI to open an account last week, she had to choose the reason for opening the account. This didnt' seem anything unusual to us and so she just chose 'to recieive social welfare' as the main reason she wants this account is to have the Child Benefit come in to a seperate accoutn to our main family account. 

She then got contacted by the bank to ask for a "We will require a letter from social welfare stating that you will be in receipt of Social Welfare. "  ....but that's not something the Social Welfare department are going to provide. Why does it matter anyway? 

I feel we should have just chosen another reason when setting up the account to avoid this hassle. Is there anything that can be done? thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

dmurtagh7 wrote: »
    Hi,
    When my wife (a non-EU ciitizen) went to BoI to open an account last week, she had to choose the reason for opening the account. This didnt' seem anything unusual to us and so she just chose 'to recieive social welfare' as the main reason she wants this account is to have the Child Benefit come in to a seperate accoutn to our main family account. 

She then got contacted by the bank to ask for a "We will require a letter from social welfare stating that you will be in receipt of Social Welfare. "  ....but that's not something the Social Welfare department are going to provide. Why does it matter anyway? 

I feel we should have just chosen another reason when setting up the account to avoid this hassle. Is there anything that can be done? thanks

Hi dmurtagh7,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here and sorry you're unhappy with this service.

I can confirm that we would ask for proof of income that is due in to an account when opening it weather it be social welfare payments of any kind of wages. I'd ask your wife to contact the social welfare and confirm that she needs this documentation and they should be able to provide this to her.

Thanks again,
    Darren.

Advertisement