Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever been the victim of a crime?

• 23-10-2017 10:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 492 ✭✭

Have you ever been the victim of any kind of crime whether it was non-violent, violent or any kind of crime? Did you get retribution?

Part of me has no faith in the Gardaí. A lot of it is under-resourcing and a lot of it is incompetency and a good chunk is the Gardaí doing a job well-done only for the judge to make a mockery out their work and release the scum.

Have you ever been the victim of a crime? 50 votes

Yes - but I didn't report because I forgave the assailant.
    0%
    Yes - but I didn't report because I knew nothing would happen (no point).
    0%
    Yes - the assailant was brought to court but no punishment
    54%
    rainbow kirbyconor222Sam Hainevil_seed[Deleted User]Head_HunterFoxhound38sbsquarepantsMissTinyc_manikeano299935452Funnyonion79368100angryIreGamerForstalDavetomwaterfordBinky BricktopHaithabuvaloren 27 votes
    Yes - the punishment was insufficient
    6%
    sugarmanDaeryssaOneLollipops23 3 votes
    Yes - I'm happy with the punishment they received.
    30%
    [Deleted User]cee_jaysdanseoZirconiatcddKnineNooRusty_MectumOblivoidtobdom[Deleted User]wexandproudr93kaey5p2izunthisistoughkopite386 15 votes
    I've never been the victim of a crime worthy of reporting
    10%
    GraysonbuswankersmartingriffInternet Friendmynamejeff 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,725 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

€5.90 for a mochafrappacrappachino

Definitely robbed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Have you ever committed a crime gerrup?

Other than having no Atari Jaguar in the poll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Could the amount of threads you start be considered criminal? I feel like time is being stolen from me. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Yes I have and no retribution either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Yep, theft and on another occasion plageureism.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 492 ✭✭Gerrup Outta Dat!

What work did they plagiarise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

Where is Yes, reported it but culprit/s not found?

A few car breakins over the years, from Wigan to Bratislava. Someone nicked my bike when I was a kid. That's about it, lucky really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Yes. I got a mortgage with Bank of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Thankfully, I haven't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Was mugged before and almost lost an eye,had no vision for few days outta it and left with a scar across the face requiring stitches after it

(Scar is 90% gone)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Myself and a good friend were beaten up by a group of 7 guys for no reason late on a Saturday night about ten years ago. Both of us were hospitalized with severe injuries. Six of guys were out again after 6 months with the 7th serving no time at all because he admitted the crime and informed on his friends.

No problem with the Gardai who were very efficient in both helping us get treatment and finding the attackers. Plenty of problems with the court and the pathetic punishment.

TBH the behavior of the Gardai that night and afterward changed my past negative opinion of them. I've had no reason since to lower that opinion. There's always a minority in any service who are pathological or corrupt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,544 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

(sic)

Edit: Shite. Beaten to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Was someone watching Crimecall?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Mugged if you can call it that.

Beside pearse street train station.

Two lads stuck a knife to our backs, Said give us money and wallets.

We had neither just train tickets back home.

The muggers said we were sound and gave us both a pair of sunglasses each and let us on our way.

Weirdest mugging ever.

Two huge guys sided me after I used an atm, herded me into a shop doorway and robbed me at knifepoint. They made a couple of threats to me before leaving. I reported it and the police were very good with me, but in spite of this happening in London in an area covered with cctv, no one was ever arrested. I shook for days afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Only love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭sjb25

Yeah every week when I check my payslip :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Was pick-pocketed in Barcelona, had a camera robbed in Valencia, and an attempted robbery in Madrid. Basically, if you go to Spain, mind your belongings, don't remember having any serious issues in the numerous other places I've been around the world. None were reported to the police as I had no faith that anything would happen and these were small scale crimes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Had my bicycle stolen from my front yard. Reported it to the Gardaí for the sake of it, but we all know that nothing happens when it comes to bicycle theft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Yes. I chose yes but the punishment was insufficient, but that's actually far outweighed by the number of times I just didn't bother because there's no point, nothing would happen and it would just lead to more difficulties for me afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

House broken into and trashed, housemates had a fair few bits stolen (I clearly had nothing worth robbing). Reported it but bar a visit to the house nothing ever came of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Mugged in tenerife....have been to gran canaria many times with no issue but the part of tenerife we were in was dangerous....they were very very aggressive....will put me off returning

€50 in wallet, phone and watch....guts of a grand in total.

Reported but no point they don't want to know, presumably because of the amount of muggings and inability to trace them

This is the OP who spoke of getting a teenager drunk and having anal sex with her. Folks, think about your answers...
    What are your missed opportunities?

I am here in Derry with my gorgeous OH. I went to the bar to order a Guinness and a Hop House for me and her respectively.

A girl, approx 18, bought 3 shots. She took one herself, gave one to her friend and handed one to me. At the time I didn’t realise she was offering it to me.

I didn’t realise it.

She was gorgeous.

Young meat. I could have ****ed her up the ass.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Aye, that handball by Thierry Henry. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I've never been the victim of a crime worthy of reporting
    Jumped by some guys in a village outside Dublin. They were about 19-20. They kicked the crap out of me and ran off. I called the police. They put me in the back seat and drove off in the direction the guys had headed. A minute later I pointed them out, the cops got out and arrested 4 of them.
    The guys all said that they had nothing to do with it but it happened outside a closed pub. The gardai got the CCTV footage from the front of the pub which clearly showed them attacking me. They all pleaded guilty. They were from good families so they were let off with a fine.
    I'm ok with that. I'm just glad they have a mark on their record.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Forced transvestism... many weekends. Culprits never apprehended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I've been mugged a few times. Twice in Paris on the same bloody trip, and once on a night out. Have had another horrible thing happen to me but I will be too identifiable if I state it on here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Back in 07 myself and the then girlfriend lived in charleroi, Belgium.
    Now for those who have never heard of the place, I envy you.
    Anyway we had a place right in the centre on rue de marsenielle or some **** which was essentially the centre but to our immediately right a very very dangerous looking brothel.
    One day my gf was on the late shift and cause there were reports of rapes and attacks i walked her to work.
    For some reason or another I got delayed there and then eventually started to make my way home.
    I'll never forget walking up the stairs to the apartment and seeing the "re-enforced" door caved in.
    Stupidly I walked inside without calling the police and went straight to our bedroom.
    No one there but the place was in bits.
    New laptops gone, new perfume gone, dvds gone, cameras gone, I bought her a svarovsky necklace in rome a few weeks prior which was taken too.
    The even stole my underwear.
    But.. what I could never understand was this.
    We had about 1000e saved in cash hidden in a drawer in an envelope.
    The drawer was removed and emptied but the envelope never touched which was a miracle as it saved us.
    The police were ****. And I mean hand on heart ****.
    It was a massive joke for them, asking me if I liked charleroi and Belgium after being robbed near on blind.
    House owner refused to fix the door and accused me of robbing myself for attention.
    So I had to barricade us into our room at night and kept a bat and a knife under my side of the bed in case we had more trouble.
    The rest of the nights were spent in hotels which took care of the remains of our savings.
    Left that dump soon afterwards but I always wonder what would have happened if I hadn't had been delayed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Forked out €150 for half hour in a whore house in Majorca 15 years ago (not my brightest moment) and left with a full bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Got mugged on New Years day in Dun Laoghaire in 1997, I was 15.

5 bigger boys and 3 smelly girls absolutely bate the crap out of me for a Man Utd baseball cap. I stood there and took punches and round house kicks to the face but refused to fall.

Eventually they tired out and fcuked off after waving a knife in my face.

6 years later, also in Dun laoghaire. I was in a pub with a group of friends. I overheard a guy in another group boasting about the day he and a few friends bate the fcuk out of a young lad and robbed his Man Utd hat for one of the girls.

Oh how the tables had turned. Over the following few weeks, I got my pound of flesh from 3 of the 5 lads. Still looking for the other 2.

Got mugged on New Years day in Dun Laoghaire in 1997, I was 15.

5 bigger boys and 3 smelly girls absolutely bate the crap out of me for a Man Utd baseball cap. I stood there and took punches and round house kicks to the face but refused to fall.

Eventually they tired out and fcuked off after waving a knife in my face.

6 years later, also in Dun laoghaire. I was in a pub with a group of friends. I overheard a guy in another group boasting about the day he and a few friends bate the fcuk out of a young lad and robbed his Man Utd hat for one of the girls.

Oh how the tables had turned. Over the following few weeks, I got my pound of flesh from 3 of the 5 lads. Still looking for the other 2.

I loved you in Death Wish :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭CFlat

jonon9 wrote: »
    Forked out €150 for half hour in a whore house in Majorca 15 years ago (not my brightest moment) and left with a full bag.

If you were only going in for a half hour I don't know why you didn't just leave your suitcase in the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

mzungu wrote: »
    Aye, that handball by Thierry Henry. :pac:

That was a heresy for us. We all felt it :pac:

There is a real issue with the judicial system in this country.

I've given up on reporting things to the Gardai for a while now as nothing is ever done about anything, unless you do all the leg work yourself and actually bring the garda to the criminal. you almost have to put the cuffs on them yourself.

The Gardai slogan 'we wouldn't really be able to do anything about that' has worn me tired at this stage.

Gardai are nice pleasant people for the most part, but as a whole, they're a waste of time.

I get annoyed hearing about "more gardai needed" when the same judges are letting people off with slaps on the wrist time and time again.

We must have the most lenient justice system in the world. Nobody does anything. The thoughts of handing out a proper sentence seems to scare the judges themselves for some reason.

CFlat wrote: »
    If you were only going in for a half hour I don't know why you didn't just leave your suitcase in the car.

Sure it only takes some of 'em less than a minute.

Sure it only takes some of 'em less than a minute.

Anything over the 30 minutes was extra I was determined to meet my deadline but failed.

jonon9 wrote: »
    Anything over the 30 minutes was extra I was determined to make it but failed.

That's an achievement in itself or else she was well rough.

• Advertisement

That's an achievement in itself or else she was well rough.

A mixture of heat and alcohol left me with a mickey like a wind sock.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

My bike was stolen 2 years ago.

Surprising that that's the worst that has happened, considering I live in Bogota.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

My bike was stolen 2 years ago.

Surprising that that's the worst that has happened, considering I live in Bogot

I'm imagining you were kidnapped writing the final á there.

House broken into, car broken into, attempted mugging. All in Dublin.

Cops only interested if someone is hurt. Otherwise all you get is the letter "Sorry that you've been a victim of a crime...."

You should report crimes though imo as the statistics need to be highlighted.

It's a-la-carte policing out there - do the easy / no hassle stuff like the the guard out on a motorbike on a nice sunny day pinging motorists for turning too early in a bus lane.

annoying hassle stuff like finding out who is breaking into houses is largely ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

pity you can only vote once . have been a victim 3 times

had a lot of pallets stolen on me over a six month period and just by chance i caught the guy doing it . didn't bother reporting it

had a boat broken into and the first aid kit and a few knives stolen . reported it , because of the knives , fingerprints taken . nobody found

wife's car was hijacked at set of light's , long story but, guards were brilliant caught the guys . they got jail but cant remember if it was 6 or 9 months

two out of the three incidents involved members of .... no i wont go there

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

My car was stolen from right outside my house in the middle of the night. Hot wired and found burned out in Cherry Orchard. Scumbags were never caught. Gardai took my details and were polite but did’nt really want to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

JupiterKid wrote: »
    My car was stolen from right outside my house in the middle of the night. Hot wired and found burned out in Cherry Orchard. Scumbags were never caught. Gardai took my details and were polite but did’nt really want to know.

Just curious, but when that happens does the insurance company simply pay out or do they check to make sure you didn't do it?
    Wonder if that's why the police weren't interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

mugged - in front of a busy bus stop. Told by guard that id have to go to station to make report as they were too busy, also told they doubted anything could be done.

what annoys me most is only one person checked if i was ok. all the other ****ers just ignored me being hit and having my wallet taken.

that one person, thanks.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Seriously assaulted by a group of lads, one armed with a golf club.

Reported it but nothing came of it in the end.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I'm imagining you were kidnapped writing the final á there.

Boards doesn't let write tildes for some reason, my words keep getting cut off.

• Advertisement
Advertisement