Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smyths

Options
  • 23-10-2017 11:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭

Was in Smyths browsing for Santa stuff and overheard a conversation between a manager and one of the floor staff and she asked ... "What about this section" and the answer was "everything on that section is going up in price"...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭leonffrench

Maybe sale items that are no longer on sale. Hard to find anything like for like cheaper than Smyths in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

So where's the rip-off?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Smiths is well known for increasing prices coming up to Black Friday, then decreasing them slightly for Black Friday so people think they are getting a bargain. Even though they were paying more than they were originally.

theres your rip off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Kamili wrote: »
    Smiths is well known for increasing prices coming up to Black Friday, then decreasing them slightly for Black Friday so people think they are getting a bargain. Even though they were paying more than they were originally.

theres your rip off.

They're usually reasonably priced for most of their stuff, I've never found them a rip off or felt like a hostage of fortune in that I had to buy something there without checking around first.

And Black Friday? I don't think there's much of a historical context here in Ireland to claim they're well known for doing anything on a made up day.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Wasnt there a sale on in Smyths over the past couple of weeks, maybe they are just putting up the prices on the sale items again and introducing a sale elsewhere in the store. Im failing to see where the rip off is here. Like seriously OP, how were you ripped off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Kids are too old for toys now but I found every year the toys were cheaper in September and the prices went up in November, i'd say they make more money in the last 2 months of the year than the other 10 combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Kamili wrote: »

theres your rip off.

Have you any stats to back that up? Screen grabs of before and after prices or something similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Effects wrote: »
    Have you any stats to back that up? Screen grabs of before and after prices or something similar?

Your post is like one of those arguments where people ask you to give an example on the spot.

There has been plenty of posts last year where people have shown smyths to do this!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    There has been plenty of posts last year where people have shown smyths to do this!
    They should be easy to find so...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Your post is like one of those arguments where people ask you to give an example on the spot.

As i pointed out earlier there is currently a sale ongoing, upto 50%. There was also another sale just before this one started. If its a sale price item going back up in price then thats to be expected because they are only ffers that last a set period of time and not permanent price decreases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

TheChizler wrote: »
    They should be easy to find so...

sadly, I have better things to do with my time then to search 1 year ago on facebook to prove something to strangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

And surely if someone can’t give an example then their argument isn’t that strong.

Your argument seems to me an anecdote of other anecdotal evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

i'd say they make more money in the last 2 months of the year than the other 10 combined.
    That's true for a lot of Retail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

gflood wrote: »
    Was in Smyths browsing for Santa stuff and overheard a conversation between a manager and one of the floor staff and she asked ... "What about this section" and the answer was "everything on that section is going up in price"...

so you overheard a few seconds of a conversation and make your own mind up about the entire conversation.

And then run to publicise it on a public forum????????

Seriously?? Really???

Prices in retail move up and down with promotions, seasons etc etc.

Smyths are an indigenous Irish family company that are now close to being the biggest Toy retailer in the UK just ten years after entering the market - the UK toy market is highly competitive. You don't get that sort of growth by "ripping off" customers. Funny, the get voted "Best Toy Store" and "Best for value" by UK consumer groups.

Sort of flies in the face of your argument.

In future, try not assuming the entire conversation when hearing a few seconds of the conversatioon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

sadly, I have better things to do with my time then to search 1 year ago on facebook to prove something to strangers.
    That's a no then.

Advertisement