Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I regret taking my new job after 2 weeks.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

I changed job - new promotion different place -hated it or in my head at least I think I did now not so sure from day 1 and changed back to old job after 2 weeks. kinda difficult I know but maybe give it a couple of months from personal experience as once you go back you might have the same feelings of regret. As others have said its all new - new routine new people and new ways of working. Going back to the old place while it may seem an ideal solution dont consider it first - don't rush like I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Meeeee79 wrote: »
    Exactly, so if they are aware that the OP is not happy it can be passed down the line. I'm well aware that the recruiter works for the employer. Still don't see the point in lying and telling them all is hunky dorey. They may be able to communicate some of your difficulties to your new employer.

I never suggested lying, I wouldn't bother returning the call at all.

The OP is in a better position to explain their concerns to the employer directly, no need to involve a biased third party.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Meeeee79

amcalester wrote: »
    I never suggested lying, I wouldn't bother returning the call at all.

The OP is in a better position to explain their concerns to the employer directly, no need to involve a biased third party.

The OP said they didn't know what to say to the recruiter, I was advising them what I would do.

You said to be wary of what you tell them, lying/economic with the truth, whatever you want to call what you were suggesting to them, I don't agree with. If the OP wanted to talk to their employer Im sure they could have done so before now and so my suggestion is that it may be easier to go through the recruiter for that very reason, its a third party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

The OP said they didn't know what to say to the recruiter, I was advising them what I would do.

You said to be wary of what you tell them, lying/economic with the truth, whatever you want to call what you were suggesting to them, I don't agree with. If the OP wanted to talk to their employer Im sure they could have done so before now and so my suggestion is that it may be easier to go through the recruiter for that very reason, its a third party.

Not sure why you're persisting with the misrepresentation that I said the OP should lie to the recruiter, I told the OP to be wary i.e. cautious in what they say to the recruiter.

Any way I don't want this to turn into a tit for tat so I'll leave it there, you gave your opinion I gave mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Hulltiger

amcalester wrote: »
    The recruiter works for (is paid by) the employer not the OP so I'd be wary of what I said to him/her. At the end of the day all the recruiter is interested in is making sure the OP stays where they are long enough for the commission to be paid.

Exactly, so if they are aware that the OP is not happy it can be passed down the line. I'm well aware that the recruiter works for the employer. Still don't see the point in lying and telling them all is hunky dorey. They may be able to communicate some of your difficulties to your new employer.
    I would have thought it would have been better to keep it a secret from the recruiter how I feel invade my only option is to try slug the job out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Any new job is going to be stressful and any will present you new challenges and be somewhat stressful for a while as you get to know the job and the people.

You must give it more time than 2 weeks. If you're still not feeling it after 2 months then you have something to consider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

If you go back to your old job (or even had you accepted the raise and stayed) how long will you be waiting for another pay bump?

I left a job after being there three years on the same start salary despite having been told over and over I would get a raise. When I eventually told them to put up or shut up they said no to the raise and I accepted another role I had been called about. Of course once I told them I was leaving they immediately offered me the raise. I left anyway because I knew in another three years I'd still not have gotten another raise.

The new job didn't go well as the company went under 2 years later, but I've no regrets. Job 1 was better but I felt I wasn't being appreciated and that's important.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Beanie5

Hi OP,

I've been in this situation before too, I think it depends on what you don't like about the new job. Is it the people, the culture or the work itself? In a previous role I knew after week one that it wasn't for me. I liked the people and there was a great atmosphere but the work just wasn't challenging enough so I knew I had to go. My advice would be that if you're really sure it's not the place for you, then bide your time and start looking around. Don't just leave for anything, make sure it's something you really want. I know it's tempting to go back to your old job, but you don't want to feel like you're going backwards either.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Changing jobs is a funny thing.

About 3.5 years ago I started a new job doing pretty much exactly what I had done before but with better terms and conditions. I was literally being productive on my first day there. But I still felt out of place and like I had made a huge mistake for months. But after that I did really come to enjoy it and felt like I belonged there.

Beanie5 wrote: »
    Hi OP,

I've been in this situation before too, I think it depends on what you don't like about the new job. Is it the people, the culture or the work itself? In a previous role I knew after week one that it wasn't for me. I liked the people and there was a great atmosphere but the work just wasn't challenging enough so I knew I had to go. My advice would be that if you're really sure it's not the place for you, then bide your time and start looking around. Don't just leave for anything, make sure it's something you really want. I know it's tempting to go back to your old job, but you don't want to feel like you're going backwards either.
    The work itself is not something I have ever really done before. It's like starting new career rather than a new job. The environment isn't the best. Nobody takes their lunch together for example.

• Advertisement

Galadriel wrote: »
    I am always the same when I start a new job OP, I instantly regret leaving my old job and I think I actually did ask one place years ago for my job back :eek: didn't get it though.

You have to give it more time to truly know if it's a right fit or not.
    How long was it until you asked for your old job back?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭screamer

2 weeks is not enough time to make a decision and if you go around telling yourself it's not for you....it won't be.
    Also going back to your old job.....really? I'd not go back for a couple of reasons but most importantly I'd worry they will think they have you now.... And you'll get no pay rises and be overlooked for everything cause they know you'll just accept it and stay.
    Think twice about what you're going to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Why isn't it?

He's met the people, he's sensed the atmosphere, and I suspect he's seen the work. I've known people who have left jobs after 2 days and colleagues said to me that it stood out straight away that he didn't fit in and it didn't suit him. They knew it, and he obviously knew it. Perhaps it's the same for the OP.

I stayed in a job for a year despite the fact that I knew within the first morning that I'd made a big mistake in taking it. It was the most miserable year of my working career by a long way, and that was after trying to take the positives.

There is an air of continuity in your CV by returning back to the previous role. You can say "stick it out for 6 months and then move", but your CV says, job 1, job 2, job 3 within the space of a year or so. The assumed wisdom is that this isn't a desirable CV trait, so I don't see how it's any better than going back to a job he knew he liked and enjoyed, and he can avoid that particular conundrum.

The OP has pretty much said he regretted leaving the old job and he got on well with everyone. The only stumbling block was money, which is not the be all and end all. He might even manage to negotiate an increase on what he was on before he left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

I don't know if it's a good idea to go back to your old job. They might employ you again, but do you really think everything will be the same as before?

I was in a bit of a same situation recently. It wasn't that I came back from another job, but I was ill for a few month when I just started the job. I thought it was great they didn't fire me, which they easily could have during probation time. so thought everything is great when I started again after my illness. But I soon realised it wasn't as great and I actually kind of had the position of a 'person non grata'. I still don't know if they did it consciously or subcounsciously, but I was treated very badly.

Just a possibility to be aware of, that they might see it as a completely new start and you have to prove to be able to climb the ladder from down below again.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Caroleia

OP I've had a number of jobs and no way did I feel comfortable in any of them at the two week stage. In fact, with one that I now remember with a lot of affection, I also remember meeting a friend for lunch at around the three month stage and crying and saying I had made a terrible mistake! Please give it at least six months. It's always possible your previous employer will have you back as they know your worth and employers love to employ known quantities. Or of course if you still want a change you could move on again.. I'd be very bitter about an employer who hadn't given any kind of raise as your old one did.,

Caroleia wrote: »
    OP I've had a number of jobs and no way did I feel comfortable in any of them at the two week stage. In fact, with one that I now remember with a lot of affection, I also remember meeting a friend for lunch at around the three month stage and crying and saying I had made a terrible mistake! Please give it at least six months. It's always possible your previous employer will have you back as they know your worth and employers love to employ known quantities. Or of course if you still want a change you could move on again.. I'd be very bitter about an employer who hadn't given any kind of raise as your old one did.,
    It will be a huge effort my me to make it to six months. If I do make it what do I do for my CV? Do I leave the job out of it or include it? I also feel bad as the new company will have spent time trying to train me only for me to leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Hulltiger wrote: »
    It will be a huge effort my me to make it to six months. If I do make it what do I do for my CV? Do I leave the job out of it or include it? I also feel bad as the new company will have spent time trying to train me only for me to leave.

Though your old company may be a better fit for you, ask yourself this, why would they offer to pay you the higher wage and why would they offer any pay increase again in future? You will have shown them that you are willing to work for less in order to stay where you are happy, they won't need to pay you more.

Ultimately you will need to decide if your old dead end job suits you better than a new job with prospects, if your old boss is telling you to take the new job, that tells you and everyone else that you were going nowhere in your old job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

The work itself is not something I have ever really done before. It's like starting new career rather than a new job. The environment isn't the best. Nobody takes their lunch together for example.

There's an awful bang of snowflake off this. People don't take lunches together like the old place. Well boo hoo.

You need to man up. A place of work is a business not a social club. You have been given the opportunity to earn more so work hard and contribute to the work that will make your company more profitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Hulltiger wrote:

This is an opportunity to learn then OP. Unless you accidentally took a job in another industry. 2 weeks is nothing and, in my experience, only useless eejits go back to an old job. And if you do they will have you by the short and curlies forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Caroleia

I wouldn't feel too bad about any company, they will drop you or anyone else without a moments thought if it suits them - it's how business works. As to your CV, if you did decide to move on after the six months, you could just try being honest about it-say it isn't working out for you in the new company, it should only be a concern if you had a series of 6 month stints on it. You have cold feet at the moment - its understandable, but if you go back as someone else said, they'll have you by the short and curlies forever - stay strong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Follow your gut instinct ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

I'm in the same situation, took a job with a supposedly prestigious company but it has turned out not what I expected. While there aspects of the job that I like there are other areas I have a big problem with.

I'd ask myself a few questions before deciding to leave.
    Are you being supported and treated with respect?
    What do you see the job leading to?
    Do you see the current situation improving?
    Is there anything you can do to help yourself, like reaching out to colleagues?
    Will the problem ease as you settle in?
    Do you think you could get the same salary or more somewhere else?
    What are the positives to your job?

I'd have a think about this and also listen to your instincts, it's ok to leave a job after a short time, just make sure you have something lined up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Kalimah

pauliebdub wrote: »
    I'm in the same situation, took a job with a supposedly prestigious company but it has turned out not what I expected. While there aspects of the job that I like there are other areas I have a big problem with.

I'd have a think about this and also listen to your instincts, it's ok to leave a job after a short time, just make sure you have something lined up.

This is such a good post. I'm starting my 4th week in a job that I cannot stand. There's no support, and no interest in training me. The job won't lead anywhere. The current situation won't improve and there are very few positives.
    I'm not one to give up after such a short time in a place but I'm so miserable. I cannot even face giving notice and working here another month. Half thinking of just walking for peace of mind. I know that's so bad and unprofessional of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Kalimah wrote: »
    This is such a good post. I'm starting my 4th week in a job that I cannot stand. There's no support, and no interest in training me. The job won't lead anywhere. The current situation won't improve and there are very few positives.
    I'm not one to give up after such a short time in a place but I'm so miserable. I cannot even face giving notice and working here another month. Half thinking of just walking for peace of mind. I know that's so bad and unprofessional of me.

In these scenarios if you are planning to walk out then you might aswell make a stab at approaching management and proposing changes. Whats the worst that could happen.

I've a meeting this afternoon with my manager and we'll see how that goes. Some of what she wants done is impossible in the time frame she's given. I did say that to her this morning but was met with a blank stare.

Kalimah wrote: »
    I've a meeting this afternoon with my manager and we'll see how that goes. Some of what she wants done is impossible in the time frame she's given. I did say that to her this morning but was met with a blank stare.
    How did the meeting go?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Yeh I also agree with a lot on here , it takes a long time to fully adjust , I'm same, I'm very impatient and hard on myself .

I'm in my current job 3 years and after 6 months really pushed my current employer to make changes which they were slow to do which made me very frustrated .

3 years on and only now they seem to be slowly coming around . give it a chance and stay patient . enjoy!!

How did the meeting go?
    Actually really well! I seem to have broken the ice with her, and I got my message across well I thought. She took on board my training concerns and that's being addressed.
    I'm feeling much better about the place now!

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭_Puma_

pauliebdub wrote: »

Some great advice here. I was in a similar situation. Was hellbent on quitting my new job after 3 months without anything else lined up. The way the company works is they throw you in the deep end and you either sink or swim. I stuck it out for another couple of months and am getting on quiet well now but being truthful to myself i don't enjoy the nature of the role. I've lined something else up now which is much closer to my experience,so will be in a much better place. Explained to my current employer my reasoning and they were perfectly understanding.

If I had jumped after 3 months I would be facing the dole for a while without a reference. At the very least I have gained some new skill in my current job(It was very much Customer facing), Softskills that I would never have had the opportunity to develop in the more technical nature of roles I would generally work in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Thestones

I remember taking a job and after a week or two thinking what have I done!! I think I felt that way for 6 months before I really settled, but I ended up staying in that company 7 years! At first I thought they were all such an odd bunch but once I settled and I got to know people I really enjoyed it and loved the nights out together, we were like a big dysfunctional family!! Different companies have different environments and it takes time to adapt if your used to a certain way. I left that company to stay at home with the kids but it's the place I'd go back to now and my old boss still rings sometimes just to check in and see how I'm doing, big turnaround to a place I hated in the beginning.

Advertisement