Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I regret taking my new job after 2 weeks.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Hulltiger

Update. I have been in the job for over 2 months now and I am feeling much the same. This is not what I want for a career. For the record it is in accountancy and I think it's a backwards step from my previous job in terms of the role and the methods/procedures that they follow. This is very surprising given the prestigious name of the company. I guess the best thing to do would be to try and stick it out for a year if I can. I feel bad for making such a poor decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Don't feel bad

You never really know until you try

You've tried and now know it's not what you want, this will help you find what you actually want, use your time to look for the job you want and life you want for yourself
    Hulltiger wrote: »
    Update. I have been in the job for over 2 months now and I am feeling much the same. This is not what I want for a career. For the record it is in accountancy and I think it's a backwards step from my previous job in terms of the role and the methods/procedures that they follow. This is very surprising given the prestigious name of the company. I guess the best thing to do would be to try and stick it out for a year if I can. I feel bad for making such a poor decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Dagenham Dave

Been in that situation.
    Knew on the first day that I'd made a mistake, spent the next 5 and a half years trying my best to get a new job.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭sunnyday1234

This thread is superb, here is my story.

Left good job in Company A where i was for 4 years, lovely office space and loads of friends. Job got a little boring, team was leaving and had my head turned by company B where i got a huge pay increase. I knew the job wouldnt be great but i said i would try it for the money. On day 1 i knew it wasnt for me . I was depressed and ill for the 6 weeks i was there.

Then i got offered a position in Company C and got an offer to return to company A in a differnet department but the start date wasnt for 6 weeks and i couldnt wait that long as i was leaving where i was and i would only be a nervous wreck for the 6 weeks waiting for the job to start

I started in Company C on 10k less money and benefits than company A and have been buried in regret and am dealing with it slowly. However the team here is nice and the position will look fine on my CV for a year or two while i bide my time to pick the perfect job next time. If i stayed in Company B then it would be rubbish on my cv and i would have been severely depressed i feel so i trusted my gut and left after 6 weeks. This way, the company can disappear off my cv no problem. If i gave it 6 months then it would have to stay on my cv

So here I am , back to 2016 salary levels with worse benefits but with a position that may not be too challenging but at least is in tune with my previous experience. We are fine financially thankfully so my wife is fine with what has happened. I am happy to give this place 18 months to 2 years and probably return to Company A with some more experience for them to benefit from so thats that :-). I can safely lick my wounds here and rebuild my confidence. If i stayed in company B then my confidence could have been severely damaged

I would just recommend getting out of somewhere that feels really really wrong as soon as possible, find a place that you can tolerate for 18 months to 2 years and then make a proper decision the next time

Advertisement