Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to build a porch

• 24-10-2017 8:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I've been trying to get a porch built on the front of my semi-detached house in Galway.

Maximum 2 square metres so I won't need to apply for planning permission.

Any idea how much it would cost?

Finding it difficult to even get a quote for it. Not sure why, maybe it's too small a job for builders to be bothered with it?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

8-10k
    Scale of economies apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 overstrander

That much???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

That much???

Definately,
    You have to dig for foundation,
    Get a foundation, block it, roof it plaster it, door it, floor it, wire it, paint it and modify, re-enforce around your existing entrance door to make it internal.

Each labor needs a min price for it to be worth their time and materials aint cheap.

Wow, I thought I saw a ballpark figure of 5k on here a while back. I guess it's not just house prices that are on the rise...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Wow, I thought I saw a ballpark figure of 5k on here a while back. I guess it's not just house prices that are on the rise...

Materials have risen sharply since the start of 2017, also labour rates are steadily climbing job by job.

That price could go up or down depending on the finish, a Composite front door could be 2k alone, then if you have glazing to match.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭Jamesgrace

What sort of porch did you have in mind, any pics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

A neighbour of ours did a lovely porch onto his bungalow. Solid walls long narrow windoes nice door and tiled roof. As he did it himself with a friends help I'm guessing it costs under 6grand.

Ours cost 2grand plus 20 years ago and it doesn't have a tiled roof. So the bones of 8 to 10 grand for someone to do it for you is probably the norm now.

Jamesgrace wrote: »
    What sort of porch did you have in mind, any pics?

Pretty much what Rubberchikken described there would be grand:

Solid walls, long narrow windows, nice door and tiled roof.

Anything along those lines really. The break between the the main house and the outdoors and a bit of light getting into it.

Advertisement