Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Older game recommendations

Options
  • 24-10-2017 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I went on a gaming hiatus from about 2010 - 2016. Are there any classics, underrated gems or "must haves" I missed on the PS3 from this period? I stopped playing around about the time that Arkham City came out but I have since got and finished that on PS4. I recently picked up a PS3 with a few games - Arkham Origins, Demon Souls, Dark Souls and Silent Hill HD collection. Started Silent Hill 2 a couple of days ago and must say I'm enjoying it. I haven't played it since I had it on PS2 and I forgot just how unsettling it was. So far, I haven't encountered any glitches.

Anything I may have missed?

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

You missed the Last of Us, go get it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

gimli2112 wrote: »
    You missed the Last of Us, go get it now.

Thanks. I will check that out but on PS4. I heard the remaster is something else.

Yes the remaster is worth getting on Ps4.
    I really liked the Resistance trilogy on PS3 particularly the second one (FPS), Uncharted series (3person) and Dead Space trilogy although the first one was probably out prior to 2010. Far Cry 3 was very good imo (FPS) COD MW2, Black ops 1 and MW3 had decent campaigns but online is pretty dead now. If you have PSN plus there are free games every month for the PS3.

hmm actually a lot of these were out prior to 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

RAGE was f**king excellent.

1st person shooter from ID Software (Doom etc) and Bethesda.
    Satisfying shooter with some RPG elements, crafting and car combat.
    What it does, it does really, really well in terms of Gameplay, story is pretty so-so

• Registered Users Posts: 26,401 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Fallout new vegas.

Valkyria Chronicles.

Mass effects.

Bioshocks

• Advertisement

Yes the remaster is worth getting on Ps4.
    I really liked the Resistance trilogy on PS3 particularly the second one (FPS), Uncharted series (3person) and Dead Space trilogy although the first one was probably out prior to 2010. Far Cry 3 was very good imo (FPS) COD MW2, Black ops 1 and MW3 had decent campaigns but online is pretty dead now. If you have PSN plus there are free games every month for the PS3.

hmm actually a lot of these were out prior to 2010

I do have PS+, didn't even think about the free games. Played Dead Space 1 before then, 2 is going cheap enough so may pick that up later - thanks!

What it does, it does really, really well in terms of Gameplay, story is pretty so-so

Thanks, always liked Bethesda games. Most of the time.
    noodler wrote: »
    Fallout new vegas.

Valkyria Chronicles.

Mass effects.

Bioshocks

VC is defo an option. I had heard about Mass Effects mainly due to the latest release on current gen systems but heard the older ones were better so will check that out, thanks. Played Bioshock back then, enjoyed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Fallout new vegas

Red dead

Rage

Witcher 3

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

The Last of us

The Witcher 3 (€20 on psn store at the moment for the Game of the Year edition)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Hi,

I went on a gaming hiatus from about 2010 - 2016. Are there any classics, underrated gems or "must haves" I missed on the PS3 from this period? I stopped playing around about the time that Arkham City came out but I have since got and finished that on PS4. I recently picked up a PS3 with a few games - Arkham Origins, Demon Souls, Dark Souls and Silent Hill HD collection. Started Silent Hill 2 a couple of days ago and must say I'm enjoying it. I haven't played it since I had it on PS2 and I forgot just how unsettling it was. So far, I haven't encountered any glitches.

Anything I may have missed?

Thanks,

You have Demon's Souls, play that - seriously, play it now.
    Best game ever, imo.

Great game with abrupt ending that never got a sequel and never will , I felt like I'd been bent over by the ending tbh so abrupt it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Brozy

It's been a while since I played RAGE but I remember being very disappointed with it. Promised so much but failed to deliver IMO. The missions were very linear, the enemy AI was poor and I found it generally boring. The game looked great and felt like a good shooter if that makes sense. Can't remember the exact details but the last third of the game where you go to a new area felt rushed also.

I'd pick up the Resistance trilogy, Killzone and Metro last light before I picked up RAGE.

I've started Metro last light a few times. It's a good game but I never seem able to complete it. I always seem to miss the bit about how special bullets work. Must try it again.

How are the God of War games? I was thinking of picking up both the HD collection and God of War 3. I think I did have them before but wasn't really into "Hack and Slash" back then whereas now it's probably something I would enjoy.

I really enjoyed GOW 1&2. Was getting a little tired of it by 3 which has quite a tough boss fight at the very start which doesn't help but it's a solid game too. I did break a controller at the end Boss in 2.

Bought Darkstalkers for PS4 last week. Found it dull at the beginning as it's just hack and slash but once you get into them they can be quite addictive.

I really enjoyed GOW 1&2. Was getting a little tired of it by 3 which has quite a tough boss fight at the very start which doesn't help but it's a solid game too. I did break a controller at the end Boss in 2.

Bought Darkstalkers for PS4 last week. Found it dull at the beginning as it's just hack and slash but once you get into them they can be quite addictive.

Cool, thanks. I might pick it up later. I've had my fair share of frustrating Boss battles. Thankfully never broke my equipment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Spec Ops: The Line
    Far Cry 3
    Max Payne 3
    Infamous 2
    Yakuza: Dead Souls
    Puppeteer

All good games for the PS3.

Spec Ops: The Line
    Far Cry 3
    Max Payne 3
    Infamous 2
    Yakuza: Dead Souls
    Puppeteer

All good games for the PS3.

Thanks for those recommendations. I've looked up a couple of them and Max Payne and Puppeteer sound very interesting. Added to the list!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Thanks for those recommendations. I've looked up a couple of them and Max Payne and Puppeteer sound very interesting. Added to the list!

Spec Ops is kind of a flawed game but it is one I'd recommend everyone play.

Actually thinking more on it, a couple of indies or smaller games that I'd recommend for the PS3 are Rain, Brothers, Hotline Miami and Unfinished Swan.

Advertisement