Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bailey point, Salthill and other stuff

Options

Comments

Let’s rip up car parks facilities and exclude motorists, what an unsurprising post from you...

So we remove all the car parking spaces from the prom side of the road and install a rollerblade lane. Please tell me who will use this rollerblade lane? I would estimate that a very very large % of the people who walk the prom arrive in cars (families etc). Salthill would die a death if promside parking was removed.

Sometimes I wonder do you post off the wall anti car posts just to garner a reaction (that sounds like the definition of something...)?

I've been saying the same thing about removing parking from the prom side of the road for the last few years and will continue to do so. Note, I'm not in the city so going to Salthill would require additional planning for me, but I believe that is a sacrifice worth making to enhance the quality of the facilities.

Also, I think you will find that every-single-time parking or through traffic was removed, people claimed that it would be the deaths an area, only for history to show the exact opposite to happen. Shop street, Grafton street, etc etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Escapees

Was going to start a thread on this very topic and just happened to notice this one. As a visitor to Galway, the Baily is a real eyesore. But not just the Baily, there seem to be many apartment complexes whose exteriors don't seem to be maintained. And this applies both in Salthill and the city itself. I can't understand why the management companies aren't repainting the exteriors or why the council doesn't put pressure on them to do so?! It's like everyone is turning a blind eye to the reality of the situation...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

Escapees wrote: »
    Was going to start a thread on this very topic and just happened to notice this one. As a visitor to Galway, the Baily is a real eyesore. But not just the Baily, there seem to be many apartment complexes whose exteriors don't seem to be maintained. And this applies both in Salthill and the city itself. I can't understand why the management companies aren't repainting the exteriors or why the council doesn't put pressure on them to do so?! It's like everyone is turning a blind eye to the reality of the situation...

most people don't care... we've a high tolerance of low quality in this country, esp. when it comes to our shared public spaces and general environment.. reckon it's genetic... i blame the penal laws coupled with the famine... ;)

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Let’s rip up car parks facilities and exclude motorists, what an unsurprising post from you...

So we remove all the car parking spaces from the prom side of the road and install a rollerblade lane. Please tell me who will use this rollerblade lane? I would estimate that a very very large % of the people who walk the prom arrive in cars (families etc). Salthill would die a death if promside parking was removed.

Sometimes I wonder do you post off the wall anti car posts just to garner a reaction (that sounds like the definition of something...)?

This is not a very surprising response from you.
    Not excluding anybody. You would still have large car parks in Salthill and plenty of kerbside parking on the Salthill side all along the prom.
    I often wonder do you post response without really thinking about what you are writing. That also has a definition.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

jkforde wrote: »
    apologies for the resurrection of a dead thread but is the court case still going on regarding this place?
    And so the Supreme Court has had its say on Brian Cunningham's personal liability for the estimated €10 million of legal costs he racked up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 daveblinkbass

For anyone with an interest in the Baily Point development, I have a small update. I haven’t seen anything official in the local media or received any correspondence from the property managers of the development. If what’s stated below is gossip, I apologise and it’s not my intention to spread rumours.

There was workers down in the underground car park last week. In fact, I thought the place had been broken into until I could hear vehicles and mechanical equipment both during the day and night. I spoke with one of the workers (as he was parked beside me) and he informed me the pumps were being repaired to start up again. He said he believed the bank had sold the commercial units below the apartments following the ruling on the court case earlier in the year. So, hopefully there’s some truth in all of this and we will see some regeneration of the development and some more life to the area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

For anyone with an interest in the Baily Point development, I have a small update. I haven’t seen anything official in the local media or received any correspondence from the property managers of the development. If what’s stated below is gossip, I apologise and it’s not my intention to spread rumours.

There was workers down in the underground car park last week. In fact, I thought the place had been broken into until I could hear vehicles and mechanical equipment both during the day and night. I spoke with one of the workers (as he was parked beside me) and he informed me the pumps were being repaired to start up again. He said he believed the bank had sold the commercial units below the apartments following the ruling on the court case earlier in the year. So, hopefully there’s some truth in all of this and we will see some regeneration of the development and some more life to the area.

Would be great to see, that whole row on the Prom needs a lot more going on . Bailey Point must be the most litigated property in Ireland hopefully finally will get done and open

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Surely what is needed for that block of property and bits like the former oasis and the spinnaker is some sort of tax break for investor / developers to encourage them to do something with their sites and then an incentive to people to open up these newly created spaces. Perhaps a tax break for the first two or three years after commencement.

westgolf wrote: »
    Surely what is needed for that block of property and bits like the former oasis and the spinnaker is some sort of tax break for investor / developers to encourage them to do something with their sites and then an incentive to people to open up these newly created spaces. Perhaps a tax break for the first two or three years after commencement.

They're well able to make a profit when selling, no need for tax breaks for wealthy developers.

A better solution would be to apply a levy, which starts at 1% of value for years 1-3 of not being developed and thereafter increases by 1% each year after. So by year 5 its 3%, by year 10 its 8% and so on.

They won't be long developing them then

They're well able to make a profit when selling, no need for tax breaks for wealthy developers.

A better solution would be to apply a levy, which starts at 1% of value for years 1-3 of not being developed and thereafter increases by 1% each year after. So by year 5 its 3%, by year 10 its 8% and so on.

Getting planning can be the hard bit as well as finance. Levy wont help that if the very body applying the levy ie government could delay planning and gain a levy from that very delay ?
    Also Who would not do something ie develop if they had the capacity to do so.

• Advertisement

Agreed. But also need to provide some incentive to people to rent or lease the new units.

youngrun wrote: »
    Also Who would not do something ie develop if they had the capacity to do so.

Speculators. This levy would dissuade them

Agreed. But also need to provide some incentive to people to rent or lease the new units.

Look around, there's little to nothing on the market for sale or rent. No incentive needed

Look around, there's little to nothing on the market for sale or rent. No incentive needed
    In general I'd agree but Salthill needs something to kick start things because you need people to look at it in a new light, its not one of the high profile demand driven locations at present.

In general I'd agree but Salthill needs something to kick start things because you need people to look at it in a new light, its not one of the high profile demand driven locations at present.

Rent and sale prices would say otherwise

Speculators. This levy would dissuade them

And what if they could not get planning for example ? What if there were no viable options ? Or no financeable projects ? Whither the levy then ?

Rent and sale prices would say otherwise

For existing property. If Bailey point had four or five units available there would be potential takers but because there is no history of footfall to go on that would/could impede new tenants. A tax allowance would make things easier. In the same way as the developer levy would increase over time the lessor's allowance would decrease .

For existing property. If Bailey point had four or five units available there would be potential takers but because there is no history of footfall to go on that would/could impede new tenants. A tax allowance would make things easier. In the same way as the developer levy would increase over time the lessor's allowance would decrease .

Plenty of existing successful businesses in that area. I regularly go out to Salthill and there is no shortage of footfall, day or night. The high ratio of eateries alone proves that point.

Tax allowances are for depressed areas that nobody wants to touch, think some of the worst areas of inner city Dublin.

They are not for prime real estate on the main street of the main holiday destination in the capital of the western province.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭EachSmallChime

A lot of activity going on this week. There seems to be a crew hired to clear out one of the units.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

A lot of activity going on this week. There seems to be a crew hired to clear out one of the units.
    Anything good in the skip, boss? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,947 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

zell12 wrote: »
    Anything good in the skip, boss? ;)

Not any more :)

A crew in doing a clean out along with electricians getting the temporary lighting ready for the fit out crews. That’s the activity you’re seeing. Let’s just say the building will have a new lease of life in six months or so...

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭kweeveen86

Allegedly the cinema that was originally supposed to open there about 10+ years ago is FINALLY happening!

Haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere but I heard it from someone involved in the management of another cinema in town, so I suppose they could well have some insider information. Would be great if it was true!

What Salthill desperately needs is a late bar to take some of the regular trade away from town and the West End. Would have a great knock-on effect for local restaurants too. It seems so obvious, I wonder if I'm missing some obvious drawback...
    You'd imagine the Oslo would be perfect but they've steered clear of it so far for whatever reason.

I'm pretty sure that any pub can get a limited number of extensions in a calendar year (maybe it's 10-ish) - they just pay a few hundred quid each time. I'm amazed that the Oslo or somewhere hasn't at least tried this much - just to test the market. Have a monthly pop-up club night or something along those lines....?

kweeveen86 wrote: »
    Allegedly the cinema that was originally supposed to open there about 10+ years ago is FINALLY happening!

Haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere but I heard it from someone involved in the management of another cinema in town, so I suppose they could well have some insider information. Would be great if it was true!

Your source is correct about the cinema opening but it’s not the same cinema company that originally held the lease back in 2002.

Glad to hear it. A cinema in Salthill would be great!

Any idea when they're aiming to be open?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

2004 I believe

There was one in Salthill...:D
    http://www.ouririshheritage.org/content/archive/place/mo-ghaillimh-fein-my-own-galway/galway-in-30-objects/cinema-projector-light-box

Would be on a winner there i think with cinema in Bailey Point. Wasnt there supposed to be a Nightclub, pub etc also there.
    There have been receivers in charge for years close on 20 Id say , only now can they deal with it.

What Salthill desperately needs is a late bar to take some of the regular trade away from town and the West End. Would have a great knock-on effect for local restaurants too. It seems so obvious, I wonder if I'm missing some obvious drawback...
    You'd imagine the Oslo would be perfect but they've steered clear of it so far for whatever reason.

I'm pretty sure that any pub can get a limited number of extensions in a calendar year (maybe it's 10-ish) - they just pay a few hundred quid each time. I'm amazed that the Oslo or somewhere hasn't at least tried this much - just to test the market. Have a monthly pop-up club night or something along those lines....?

Yea you would wonder. For matches The Oslo is absolutely jammed, then everyone leaves for town for the late bars. I remember the Ireland v New Zealand you couldn't get a seat and the place was empty 30mins after the final whistle.

• Advertisement

Yea you would wonder. For matches The Oslo is absolutely jammed, then everyone leaves for town for the late bars. I remember the Ireland v New Zealand you couldn't get a seat and the place was empty 30mins after the final whistle.

Many will remember when Salthill was the place to go at night..
    Probably someone needs to jump first and there in lies the risk. In the absence of a critical mass of late night spots the crowd goes to where theres a hub like Quay St/High St, Dominick St or Eyre square in my view...
    Depends on the crowd too are those in Salthill likely to stay late or just head back home to reality? !

Advertisement