Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Facebook Deletion

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

What's Facebook?

Don't get it mixed up with Facefook. Different thing altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Thx if u cry evertim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Well this thread as taken a sudden swing

As in a little to the left....then to the far right??:cool:

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Wouldn't it be funny one day and we woke up and someone had actually deleted facebook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Pac1Man wrote:
    I remember when we used to just play with pogs and conkers.

Remember ALF, Bart? He's back, in pog form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be funny one day and we woke up and someone had actually deleted facebook.

God forbid one of their fallover servers kicks into play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Lochlan Happy Swan

Totes awks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Remember ALF, Bart? He's back, in pog form.

Pogs are back? More info required please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I'm sure there's an Albert Einstein quote for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Boom_Bap wrote: »

It would be hilarious. I deleted my account about 3 or 4 years ago. It's a total bag of shìte.

My wife shows me her account the odd time (stupid photos of people I've no interest in) and from what I can see its mostly advertisements on it now.

I've deleted a handful of former friends on Facebook. But they know why. Usually because I simply realised they were assholes. And I've told them they were assholes and given them the opportunity to explain themselves, the few who kept digging were axed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

me_irl wrote: »
    U ok hun?

No he is not :(:(

Got de-friended.

Now he must go to the land of defriended exiles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

I did Nazi any of this Jew talk coming.

Look wut I went and done started... Hoi! Lead and they will follow. When I made the quip I thought(and secretly hoped) I was gonna be crucified by unwashed 19 year olds who are sitting in smoky bedrooms and eating cheerios in the mammy house calling me an anti semite, but common sense prevailed for once thankfully and here we are. Gas really when you think about it.
    Disclaimer: I'm fond of much of Woody Allen's work, and I'm not talking about his films.
    I never miss Bobby Kerrs business show on newstalk. And in the highly unlikely scenario that drico's wife went out on the lash some night, had one too many and threw a lecherous eye in my direction I'd give her a ride that Frankie Dettori would be proud of.
    Also, Mel Gibson is a prick and I declined his friend request on FB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

What's Facebook?

There’s always one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Wasn't this clown was it?

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506

As if their posts on Boards weren't bad enough like, they're making a show of themselves on FB too! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Wasn't this clown was it?

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506

As if their posts on Boards weren't bad enough like, they're making a show of themselves on FB too! :rolleyes:

Yeh that guy sucks. But for many reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Your social media output is obviously going to reflect things that are important to you.

Same for others.

There's lots of people I really like in real life that I don't necessarily want to see all their interests.

And they mine, obviously.

That's why things like Facebook allow you to filter your news feed or unfollow people without offending them.

I'd only really delete somebody if I didn't want them seeing my stuff or over something personal.

Somebody I know (friend of a friend) who is a bit 'alternative' friended me and then unfriended me because (apparently) I posted mundane stuff.

Whereas, you know, I'm still coping with the devastating loss of their frequent chronicles of protests, drum clinics and inner healing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I would never delete somebody off facebook because I know it can really upset people. I don't follow a few people who post to often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I have unfollowed every single person in my FB list of friends so now I only see news from pages that interest me and not some random crap people put up. I wouldn’t care if everyone Unfriended me in the slightest in fact I wish people would just use FB to follow things of interest instead of friends that they couldn’t care less about if they were being honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

I think it would be great if you got a message every time you were unfriended. Sometimes you might be unfriended and not realise. I want to know when someone is pissed off with me or thinks I'm a dick and likewise I want others to know that I think they're not worth my time. I am petty like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Penn wrote: »
    Anne Frankly I'm getting sick of it!

Sleek but effective, keep delivering high end material like that and before you know it your avatar will have another yellow star stuck onto it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Sleek but effective, keep delivering high end material like that and before you know it your avatar will have another yellow star stuck onto it.

Oh Penn pal.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Facebook is basically a person’s market stall or shop window to the world. They generally only tend to post up pics of their happy, smiley families, their new house, big car, latest holiday, parties or lots of vanity-tinged selfies.

Given my life circumstances, I don’t dwell on others’ FB posts too much because it can be a tad depressing. And I really hate those “positive affirmation” messages people post up all the time. They seem so trite and insincere.

But as I opined, it’s a shop front, despite the happy pics, the person could be in turmoil inside so things are often not what they seem.

Much better to have real life friends than FB friends. Actually, I’ve noticed that quite a few of my real friends don’t really post much on FB any more. I also think anyone who has more than, say, 200 FB friends, is a tad shallow and insecure.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I also think anyone who has more than, say, 200 FB friends, is a tad shallow and insecure.

That seems like you have just plucked a completely arbitrary figure and ascribed some psychological significance to it.

Facebook friendships are a lot "shallower" than real life friendships. I'm Facebook friends with people I just met for a weekend at a stag, with some of my wife's work colleagues from meeting them at functions etc. People I would meet for a pint, granted, but I wouldn't exactly confide in.

What puzzles me is how people are Facebook friends with people they don't like. Saw some utter scumbag like a friend's status update recently, messaged them, they were all "oh I don't like him, he's just a Facebook friend". I kinda think that, no matter how slight the contact, there has to be some element of appeal in the relationship. Also do not understand the people who accept Facebook friend requests from strangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Bebo is where it is at OP

:):p:eek::D:eek::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I think it would be great if you got a message every time you were unfriended. Sometimes you might be unfriended and not realise. I want to know when someone is pissed off with me or thinks I'm a dick and likewise I want others to know that I think they're not worth my time. I am petty like that.

There's a great (web) browser extension called FB Purity that allows you to customize your FB page, removing ads or any other sections you don't like, even altering the screen layout.

One of its features you can enable is to be notified if somebody unfriends you or closes their account.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭shoegal1

I think it would be great if you got a message every time you were unfriended.  Sometimes you might be unfriended and not realise.  I want to know when someone is pissed off with me or thinks I'm a dick and likewise I want others to know that I think they're not worth my time.  I am petty like that.
    I use an add-on for that. It's mighty. One of my fb friends kept deleting/adding me every few days, turns out he was deactivating/reactivating his account for personal reasons. Good job my life doesn't revolve around FB or I might have messaged him asking why :P. I only got the add-on for removing adverts but it does lots. EDIT...just realised poster above me got there before me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Bebe is where it is at OP

:):p:eek::D:eek::cool:
    Is that like Bebo for babies? :o

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Great stuff. Now is your chance to engage with this friend in real life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Pac1Man wrote: »
    I remember when we used to just play with pogs and conkers.

The two Cavan twins on Gogglebox Ireland were playing conkers on the programme last week. Great lads! :pac:

• Advertisement

I never understood people's need to tell us they deleted their Facebook account. Like it's some big f*cking thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Facebook is basically a person’s market stall or shop window to the world. They generally only tend to post up pics of their happy, smiley families, their new house, big car, latest holiday, parties or lots of vanity-tinged selfies.

Given my life circumstances, I don’t dwell on others’ FB posts too much because it can be a tad depressing. And I really hate those “positive affirmation” messages people post up all the time. They seem so trite and insincere..

I don't find it depressing at all. I would expect people to mostly share their happy events and things like that considering its a public platform. What more do people expect? I would always be aware that they are only sharing a part of themselves and are not obliged to share any more.

It should be remembered that Facebook purposefully manipulated people's moods before.
    Facebook’s second most powerful executive, Sheryl Sandberg, has apologised for the conduct of secret psychological tests on nearly 700,000 users in 2012, which prompted outrage from users and experts alike.

The experiment, revealed by a scientific paper published in the March issue of Proceedings of National Academy of Sciences, hid "a small percentage" of emotional words from peoples' news feeds, without their knowledge, to test what effect that had on the statuses or "likes" that they then posted or reacted to.

The Guardian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

What did the Gaurds say ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

threein99 wrote: »
    What did the Gaurds say ?

File is being prepared for the DPP etc....

OP: Stay Strong. :pac:

Advertisement