Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange FaceTime Problem

Options
  • 24-10-2017 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi,

I have been googling for ages, but I simply cannot find anything that even resembles my problem, let alone a solution. So, here goes. A few weeks ago, while talking to one of my contacts on FaceTime (me on Macbook Pro, them on an iPad), my 4-year old hit a few buttons on the computer - and my video connection switched. I could no longer see my contact, but instead saw myself on full screen (no more screen in screen either). My contact noticed no change whatsoever and could see me as usual. That was annoying, so I dropped the conversation, restarted FaceTime etc. - no change. They can see me, and I can see... myself. No screen in screen. Just myself. The computer has been restarted several times since, I have gone through all the settings, switched FaceTime off/on etc. No change.

Two things to note:
    1) This happens only with this particular contact and only when the call is between Mac and iPad. If it's between iPad and iPad or iPhone and iPad - everything is as it should be. Being called or calling myself makes no difference.

2) I have noticed a very strange symbol in the 'recent/missed calls' list on FaceTime - again, only on the Mac. You all know there is a phone symbol for audio calls and a camera symbol for video calls - well, the camera symbol for this particular contact shows an arrow inside pointing from lower left to upper right. I have not been able to find this symbol anywhere online and, unfortunately, I am not able to upload images here due to low post number, so this description is the best I can give you.

I am basically convinced that my child accidentally switched something on/off, but I have no idea what and, most importantly, how to undo this. As there is this change in the camera symbol, I believe it must be some kind of FaceTime feature, so surely it must have a name and there is a way to deactivate it?

Please help if you can, it's driving me nuts...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Hi,

I have been googling for ages, but I simply cannot find anything that even resembles my problem, let alone a solution. So, here goes. A few weeks ago, while talking to one of my contacts on FaceTime (me on Macbook Pro, them on an iPad), my 4-year old hit a few buttons on the computer - and my video connection switched. I could no longer see my contact, but instead saw myself on full screen (no more screen in screen either). My contact noticed no change whatsoever and could see me as usual. That was annoying, so I dropped the conversation, restarted FaceTime etc. - no change. They can see me, and I can see... myself. No screen in screen. Just myself. The computer has been restarted several times since, I have gone through all the settings, switched FaceTime off/on etc. No change.

Two things to note:
    1) This happens only with this particular contact and only when the call is between Mac and iPad. If it's between iPad and iPad or iPhone and iPad - everything is as it should be. Being called or calling myself makes no difference.

2) I have noticed a very strange symbol in the 'recent/missed calls' list on FaceTime - again, only on the Mac. You all know there is a phone symbol for audio calls and a camera symbol for video calls - well, the camera symbol for this particular contact shows an arrow inside pointing from lower left to upper right. I have not been able to find this symbol anywhere online and, unfortunately, I am not able to upload images here due to low post number, so this description is the best I can give you.

I am basically convinced that my child accidentally switched something on/off, but I have no idea what and, most importantly, how to undo this. As there is this change in the camera symbol, I believe it must be some kind of FaceTime feature, so surely it must have a name and there is a way to deactivate it?

Please help if you can, it's driving me nuts...

Interesting.

Try the following and see does it help

1)Go to the contact in your phone book and edit. Make sure the information is correct.

For example if you are face timing them using their email address, make sure the header says email. If it's a phone number make sure it says iPhone and not "Home"

2)Then sign out of FaceTime AND iMessage on all devices.

Then,

3 )Settings >general>reset>reset network settings (You will loose all built up wifi codes doing this )

4)Sign back into FaceTime and iMessage on all devices

Let us know if this works.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 FurtherAway

Thank you very much for taking the time. I have done everything you said, but, alas... no change. :(

Thank you very much for taking the time. I have done everything you said, but, alas... no change. :(

No problem.

Could you clarify what version of OS X you are using and your model number

Go to Apple symbol > About this Mac >

So for example it might say iMac 27 inch Mid 2013

There was a change made regarding a setting in contacts that came in a few betas ago - I may have an answer

It's a Macbook Pro Retina, Late 2013 running on OS X 10.9.5.

I know it's old, but there is some software I need for work which doesn't work properly under newer OS.

It's a Macbook Pro Retina, Late 2013 running on OS X 10.9.5.

I know it's old, but there is some software I need for work which doesn't work properly under newer OS.

Ok try one more thing and if doesn't work ill take some time myself to see can I replicate. I have the same computer

try Shift + Cmd + F during the FaceTime Call.

Lastly if this doesn't work. Delete the contact in your contacts and force restart iPhone and Mac.

Get them to FaceTime you and answer on your Mac.

then go to logs on iPhone and create the contact again.

Now try to FaceTime back and see does this work. It should.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the tips. Tried everything you advised, but still no change. I think I'll just have to chalk this one up to life's mysteries.

Thanks for the tips. Tried everything you advised, but still no change. I think I'll just have to chalk this one up to life's mysteries.

I find this fascinating.

Let's try one more method though. I feel determined.

Open the Finder window
    Select Go from the top task bar and hold down the ALT key.
    Select Library
    Select Logs
    Select FaceTime
    Delete the log file
    Then restart the computer.

If this doesn't work then I am completely flummoxed

Unfortunately, still no luck. I appreciate all your efforts, really do.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll go into a corner and hit my head off a wall...

Advertisement