Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dosing

• 24-10-2017 3:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,426 ✭✭✭✭

Just bought a few sheep last week after a good 15 years without sheep on our farm.
    We dont have any means of dipping, can anyone tell me what the alternatives are and what I need to be looking out for?
    The lambs are off a leicester ram and horny ewes for what its worth

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

If was me I'd give them a good worm dose as soon as possible after arriving. Ask the vet for a orange or purple one, this will prevent you from bringing any resistant worms on to your land. After that any routine cheap dose will do. Also consider something for fluke if they came off wet ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭kk.man

If was me I'd give them a good worm dose as soon as possible after arriving. Ask the vet for a orange or purple one, this will prevent you from bringing any resistant worms on to your land. After that any routine cheap dose will do. Also consider something for fluke if they came off wet ground.

Ivomec Classic is far better and treats lice. Might be an option instead of dipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

kk.man wrote: »
    Ivomec Classic is far better and treats lice. Might be an option instead of dipping.

How is ivomec classic far better? I know in this case the orange or purple dose may not be necessary but I don't see how you can claim the ivomec is far better than a dose that has no resistance? I don't want to offend anyone, just curious why you think it is a better worm dose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Inchilad

Probably because ivomec treats internal and external patasites.op mentioned that he didnt have dipping tank so ivomec will somewhat substitute.my reading of it anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

Inchilad wrote: »
    Probably because ivomec treats internal and external patasites.op mentioned that he didnt have dipping tank so ivomec will somewhat substitute.my reading of it anyway!

Fair point, I skipped over them asking About an alternative for dipping. Do people find ivomec really works for treating itch in sheep? Always was told they need two shots for it to be any use?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Fair point, I skipped over them asking About an alternative for dipping. Do people find ivomec really works for treating itch in sheep? Always was told they need two shots for it to be any use?

Summer kinda slipped away on us here and never got around to dipping. Gave ewes and replacements Ivomec Classic but there’s a few still itching. Will be giving them another shot of it at Xmas when we’re housing them so it’d be great if 2 shots helps.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭kk.man

U are meant to give 2 shots 7 days apart..it cleared up scab for me in the past by doing this.
    0.5 ml for lambs
    1.25 ml for ewes
    Works out v cheap and no resistance to internal stuff. No sheep dip.

How is ivomec classic far better? I know in this case the orange or purple dose may not be necessary but I don't see how you can claim the ivomec is far better than a dose that has no resistance? I don't want to offend anyone, just curious why you think it is a better worm dose?

I use the purple dose here on anythjng bought in as i don't want to bring in any resistance worms to the farm. So the sheep only ever that dose once in their life. Apparently sheep lice etc are widespread as well so any clear dose also makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Dickie10

when are you guys going to go with the first fluke dose for ewes and store lambs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Dickie10 wrote: »
    when are you guys going to go with the first fluke dose for ewes and store lambs?

Dosed ewes on tuesday with combinex (Triclabezadole) for immature fluke, although ewe lambs were done a fortnight ago. Ewes were looking okay, but had a couple of ewe lambs losing weight and not thriving, so hopefully that will sort them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Dickie10

would fluke be a problem on dryish land

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Inchilad

Dickie10 wrote:
    would fluke be a problem on dryish land

Define dryish!fluke need water to complete their lifecycle so dryish land should be ok for most of the year.there not too many places dry after the few months weve had so fluke would be starting to be an issue now most places.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Think I made s rookie mistak, first time having sheep. Dosed lambs with duotech at weekend. They were dosed when hungry (in shed from previous evening) but when dosed they went straight out into field again.

Should they have been kept in for few hours so that dose would work better? Reason I ask is that I might dose again before moving them to land with no yard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,426 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Ended up using Albex on the back of a recommendation from the vet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭DJ98

I use the purple dose here on anythjng bought in as i don't want to bring in any resistance worms to the farm. So the sheep only ever that dose once in their life. Apparently sheep lice etc are widespread as well so any clear dose also makes sense.

Whats the purple dose?

DJ98 wrote: »
    Whats the purple dose?

For the last 30 years there were only 3 categories of dose available, white, clear and yellow. But resistance to some or all has built up from overuse. In last year or two, 2 new category of medicines were launched. Orange and purple. I got the purple on prescription from the vet called startect, for use on any bought in sheep (quarantine dose ) as I don't know if they'd be carrying any resistant worms to normal dose. Vets advise It's used sparingly as it took 30 years for a new product to hit the market and could be another 30 years before any more new ones become available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Green&Red wrote: »
    Ended up using Albex on the back of a recommendation from the vet

Did they give you any reasoning? Albex is only effective against adult fluke. This time of the year you would want to be treating immature and early immature too.

I once had a vet tell me to use a similar dose at this time of year. When I asked about immature fluke they looked at me blankly and then said 'ya I think that covers it'. Low and behold, out on their social media account the following week, a warning to be sure to ensure products treat immature fluke!
    Never got back to me on it though :rolleyes:
    Lesson learned - don't be relying on the vets advice as gospel. Doesn't hurt to check it out yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Did they give you any reasoning? Albex is only effective against adult fluke. This time of the year you would want to be treating immature and early immature too.

I once had a vet tell me to use a similar dose at this time of year. When I asked about immature fluke they looked at me blankly and then said 'ya I think that covers it'. Low and behold, out on their social media account the following week, a warning to be sure to ensure products treat immature fluke!
    Never got back to me on it though :rolleyes:
    Lesson learned - don't be relying on the vets advice as gospel. Doesn't hurt to check it out yourself.

+1

vets usually recommend what they sell themselves

using Flukiver twice in the autumn here, last couple of years with good results

will most likely use something like albex when housed for a month to catch any missed and hopefully clear out any stomach worms to help keep pastures clean on turnout

+1, wouldn't like to be solely dependent on Albex for fluke. Depending on what part of country your in, some vets wouldn't deal much with sheep on a regular basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Would sheep need a rumen dose with Zanil / Lefas D like cattle?

• Advertisement
Advertisement