Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carb intake for racing vs bodyweight

Options
  • 24-10-2017 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭

I've been looking at some of the information online around how much carbs to take in during exercise and the different forms of carbs and how they can help absorption.

Seems to average out around 60grams of carbs per hour or 90g of carbs per hour if mixing energy sources, (or what ever the stomach can comfortably handle).

Does anyone know if body weight is taken into account at all or is this just a general rule? I'll be trying different things out myself anyway but just curious

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

joey100 wrote: »
    I've been looking at some of the information online around how much carbs to take in during exercise and the different forms of carbs and how they can help absorption.

Seems to average out around 60grams of carbs per hour or 90g of carbs per hour if mixing energy sources, (or what ever the stomach can comfortably handle).

Does anyone know if body weight is taken into account at all or is this just a general rule? I'll be trying different things out myself anyway but just curious

Its not prescriptive, its very very personal.

usually the range a normal gut can take is 280kcal to 420kcal. The higher the tolerance the faster the race usually (for IM distance)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I assume you are asking based on going long next year? For me, it has been trial and error during those long training rides and runs, find out what works for you and stick to it. I typically run at 60-70g per hour on race day on the bike (normally 66kg) and that drops to about 30-40g on the run.

Everyone is different though and there are a lot of variables that can affect your own nutrition strategy such as, race conditions, race distance, intensity, lean body mass and metabolic efficiency. I find mixing energy sources works for me and ideally, you are looking to get carb sources that will oxidise quickly, such as glucose and sucrose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

yes weight plays some part of the equation
    but also intensity, muscle mass, etc etc

and the gut like a muscle can be trained to become better at what it does.

and ps people like to say that nutriton f.cked up their race when usually it is bad race execution ( ie overcycling ) f..cked up nutritoal intake lol . but we all like a good scapegoat

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

peter kern wrote: »

and ps people like to say that nutriton f.cked up their race when usually it is bad race execution ( ie overcycling ) f..cked up nutritoal intake lol . but we all like a good scapegoat

IDK non race day nutritional intake arguably f*cked every race i did in the last 12 months!

RJM85 wrote: »
    IDK non race day nutritional intake arguably f*cked every race i did in the last 12 months!
    maybe you need a new bike ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭gilleek2

joey100 wrote: »

Apparently 90g or MAYBE 100g total if your lucky and depending on 60g coming from glucose and the remaining 30 to 40 from fructose as its processed in the liver versus the gut. Look up Asker Jeukendrup for resesarch on this.
    Whether you really need to consume that much carbs is another question. Read 10 ironman race reports and you'll probably find 7 that have gut issues (to put it mildly) on the run.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

gilleek2 wrote: »
    Apparently 90g or MAYBE 100g total if your lucky and depending on 60g coming from glucose and the remaining 30 to 40 from fructose as its processed in the liver versus the gut. Look up Asker Jeukendrup for resesarch on this.
    Whether you really need to consume that much carbs is another question. Read 10 ironman race reports and you'll probably find 7 that have gut issues (to put it mildly) on the run.

How did you enjoy the Kona experience? Will you be aiming to go again? 4th Irishman home is nice going. Congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

From my own experience, it doesn't matter how often you practice nutrition in training unless you are doing it at race intensity. I find the only way to determine what works in a half or full is to complete long bikes at race intensity using planned nutrition and run off it likewise. This would be very much why I have never mastered it!

pgibbo wrote: »
    How did you enjoy the Kona experience? Will you be aiming to go again? 4th Irishman home is nice going. Congrats.

Cheers. It was good craic alright. Great bit of banter with the rest of the Irish gang. Nice to get out there and race on the roads you've seen countless times in youtube videos on the turbo! As for going again, i'm not sure the bank balance would allow it to be honest. Defo not next year anyway.

I guess its more what can be proccessed

Overall, it seems that moderate exercise has little effect on gastrointestinal tract motility, but when exercise becomes more severe, there may be some inhibiting effects, especially at the level of gastric emptying.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4008808/

• Advertisement

I guess its more what can be proccessed

Overall, it seems that moderate exercise has little effect on gastrointestinal tract motility, but when exercise becomes more severe, there may be some inhibiting effects, especially at the level of gastric emptying.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4008808/

Indeed, at moderate levels you dont really need to take on much fuel anyway and unless you're at the pointy end if the field an Ironman probably is mostly a moderate intensity effort.

Indeed, at moderate levels you dont really need to take on much fuel anyway and unless you're at the pointy end if the field an Ironman probably is mostly a moderate intensity effort.

i would suggest the answer is,it depends .
    as tummy ;-) has said its very individual.
    lets face it most people aim for at least 20-30 min faster than they are capable off.
    or get overexited at the beginning of the bike.
    or they are already so goosed after the swim that they cant even get close to their power numbers on the bike but stll tri.
    its still overreaching. and their systems struggle or shut down.
    and of course with otheres no matter what they do they will have issues.
    I guess people that are generally stressed suffer more from this. ( apart from genetics)

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

i would suggest the answer is,it depends .

N=1

Depends on person, race, weather, stress, intensity, products / fuel

Advertisement