Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric storage heaters - smart conversion?

Options
  • 24-10-2017 4:53pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have 3 older storage heaters each with their own in room thermostat.

I have them running as efficiently as possible (I think). I never use the boosters and have a solid fuel stove for when it's properly cold.

The thing is though that I'm away quite a lot and it'd be really handy to be able to control the thermostats remotely. Same for hot water heating.

I'd turn the temps down ideally when away and put them back up again the night before returning.

I've good wifi all over the house.

Any suggestions?

MOVED TO ELECTRICAL from PLUMBING and HEATING

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Something like Ecovolt might fit the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

With the hot water and if you have instantaneous electric heaters, you could probably go far with something like nest. Basically put a relay to control the instantaneous power supplies from the electrical consumer unit, and the immersion heater. And preset each instantaneous heater & the immersion with a local thermostat.
    Or, if you got something like climote, you could control hot water, instantaneous heating and storage heaters all in one go (albeit uses GSM rather than WiFi) - same principle, relays in the main consumer unit, albeit no need for a thermostat on the storage circuit.
    Storage heaters in general are a pig to use - I frankly believe they're better suited to applications where morning / afternoon heat is needed (not domestic, where the heat demand is usually in the evening)
    But with good controls, you might be able to rig something useful together.

Advertisement