Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mad money for insurance

Options
  • 24-10-2017 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hello everyone.
    So i'm paying for a 1.4 mazda 3 2004.
    4,100 for insurance provisional 22 yr old.
    mad money id say

should I get a 1L car? 05 upwards?

budget 1,300-1,600

I travel 300miles a week. need something reliable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

sergiot wrote: »
    Hello everyone.
    mad money id say

budget 1,300-1,600

Try adding your parents as named drivers, they should bring down the quote at least a bit. Liberty are normally good for young drivers.

If you are getting a new car, the younger the better (it doesn't necessarily bring down the quote but it means more companies will quote so you're more likely to get something cheaper) and the smaller the engine the better. Get quotes before you actually buy anything

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

Get your full licence as soon as you can.
    Get a newer car - preferably 2010 and newer with a small engine.
    Get a qualified driver named on your policy.

And is there a qualified driver with you on your 300 miles travelling per week??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

And is there a qualified driver with you on your 300 miles travelling per week??

Insurers will make the presumption that a driver with a learner's permit, who owns his own car, will drive alone and charge a premium to reflect this

• Registered Users Posts: 42 sergiot

what about getting a van?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

what about getting a van?

What about getting qualified first?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

OP, you must contact all insurers and brokers you can find. There's list on this forum that you can use. Create a spreadsheet and log all your results. Pick the cheapest/best cover. Obviously passing your test should be an absolute priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Hello everyone.
    mad money id say

budget 1,300-1,600

that is really obscene...

however why don't you have a full licence?

You travel 300 miles a week with a fully qualified driver in the passenger seat?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭beertons

If you can't pass your test, whilst driving 300 miles a week, you shouldn't be driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 sergiot

i am waiting for a test since 2 months now...
    yeah..

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

i am waiting for a test since 2 months now...
    yeah..
    And you can't pick another area to have it in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

beertons wrote: »
    If you can't pass your test, whilst driving 300 miles a week, you shouldn't be driving.

That's not fair. Loads of people crack up on test day and fail numerous times. Just because he hasn't passed yet doesn't mean he shouldn't be driving.

emeldc wrote: »
    That's not fair. Loads of people crack up on test day and fail numerous times. Just because he hasn't passed yet doesn't mean he shouldn't be driving.

well he shouldn't be driving 300 miles a week unless there's a qualified driver with him

lawred2 wrote: »
    well he shouldn't be driving 300 miles a week unless there's a qualified driver with him

Watch you don't fall off that high horse there.
    If he's paying 4K for insurance he should be allowed to fly a plane on his own.

Watch you don't fall off that high horse there.
    If he's paying 4K for insurance he should be allowed to fly a plane on his own.

well he might be allowed to fly a plane on his own for all I know but but he can't drive a car on his own..

he probably will though

but I'm not sure whether that would invalidate all that lovely insurance that he's going to be paying a very heavy premium for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Markcheese

It'll probably make f-all difference to his policy cost when he does pass his test, which is bonkers... I'm sure people on here have said driving on your own won't nullify your insurance, but it might get you in trouble with the Gardaí.. Only might..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    It'll probably make f-all difference to his policy cost when he does pass his test, which is bonkers... I'm sure people on here have said driving on your own won't nullify your insurance, but it might get you in trouble with the Gardaí.. Only might..

is that true?

is that true?

Yes. But they can refuse to pay for your own damage if you're fully comp.

If it's possible for you to answer honestly, when you were learning to drive you never ever drove unaccompanied?

Yes. But they can refuse to pay for your own damage if you're fully comp.

If it's possible for you to answer honestly, when you were learning to drive you never ever drove unaccompanied?

Sure I did. On a few rare occasions. I passed my test while in college and didn't have a car. This was early 2000s though.

Did I drive 300 miles a week as an unqualified driver? No I didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Er, It means exactly that.

Sure I did. On a few rare occasions. I passed my test while in college and didn't have a car. This was early 2000s though.

Did I drive 300 miles a week as an unqualified driver? No I didn't.

So just a little bit pregnant then :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Skatedude wrote: »
    Er, It means exactly that.

I'm not aware of a limit to the amount of learner permits you can get just because you fail the test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I do and don't see the big deal with driving on your own.

I was giving free rein to drive a motorcycle after passing my ITB, I am still here to tell the tail. Now with a Full A/B.

I think you should have to do/done the 12 lessons for the B licence and be actively engaged for testing as in have a test date, provided you are doing both then, I don't see why you can't drive a car by yourself.

If you get a b learner permit and then hit the road without a lesson or any idea of what you are doing then, no I don't agree with that.

So just a little bit pregnant then :rolleyes:

sure - if that make you happy

can I ask you a question? Are you currently driving on a learner permit?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Markcheese wrote: »
    It'll probably make f-all difference to his policy cost when he does pass his test, which is bonkers

Just a month ago mine went from 3,800 to 1,100 after I passed. 2011 Seat Ibiza

sure - if that make you happy

can I ask you a question? Are you currently driving on a learner permit?

Nope, car test '78, rigids '79, artics '82 and bikes '06. Car test was on the 3rd attempt :o. All the others were first time.

The point I was making about being a little bit pregnant is that you can't break the law a little bit. An L driver could drive 1000 miles a week without incident or he could drive to the local shops on one occasion and kill someone. There's no point in wagging your finger at someone who drives unaccompanied all the time when you yourself did it on rare occasions.

Nope, car test '78, rigids '79, artics '82 and bikes '06. Car test was on the 3rd attempt :o. All the others were first time.

The point I was making about being a little bit pregnant is that you can't break the law a little bit. An L driver could drive 1000 miles a week without incident or he could drive to the local shops on one occasion and kill someone. There's no point in wagging your finger at someone who drives unaccompanied all the time when you yourself did it on rare occasions.

Actually there is. It wasn't right for me then. It's not right for anyone else now.

Actually there is. It wasn't right for me then. It's not right for anyone else now.

Do as I say, not as I do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

All drivers learner or full , not meeting the terms attached to their licence, will not be cover any insurance risk for both own damage and third party.

Example

If learner licence/permit and you choose to drive ‘on your own’ then you are on your own to pay the TP liability or damage to own car.

cplwhisper wrote: »
    All drivers learner or full , not meeting the terms attached to their licence, will not be cover any insurance risk for both own damage and third party.

Example

If learner licence/permit and you choose to drive ‘on your own’ then you are on your own to pay the TP liability or damage to own car.

You better give us a proper legal link for that one.

• Advertisement

You better give us a proper legal link for that one.

it's likely to be a condition of the insurance policy...

but I think emeldc may be right in that insurers have to at least cover third party but were they to be sued - they may seek to recoup those costs from you directly - and not just by jacking up the premium, though they'll also do that of course

Advertisement