Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mad money for insurance

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

lawred2 wrote: »
    it's likely to be a condition of the insurance policy

I'ts my understanding that they can't exclude the (innocent) 3rd party, that's why I asked for a link.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Insurers will make the presumption that a driver with a learner's permit, who owns his own car, will drive alone and charge a premium to reflect this

I think it's the first time when I agree with your defence of insurers charging high premium.
    Makes sense in that case to charge high money to someone who is not qualified to drive.

CiniO wrote: »
    I think it's the first time when I agree with your defence of insurers charging high premium.
    Makes sense in that case to charge high money to someone who is not qualified to drive.

The premium doesn't always come down though. My sons (20) insurance went from 2k to 3k after he passed his test a year ago. Liberty then came in at €1700. Aviva eventually covered him for €1000 after he passed a 'driving test' with one of their instructors. If I remember correctly AXA wanted €6k :eek:
    The car is a '06 307 1.4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

emeldc wrote:
    I'ts my understanding that they can't exclude the (innocent) 3rd party, that's why I asked for a link.

You are in breach of your policy conditions and, technically not insured. However, your insurer is obliged to compensate the 3rd party under RTA legislation. Because that payment was not a valid claim under your policy, they have the right to seek reimbursement from you.

You are in breach of your policy conditions and, technically not insured. However, your insurer is obliged to compensate the 3rd party under RTA legislation. Because that payment was not a valid claim under your policy, they have the right to seek reimbursement from you.

I had an idea it was covered by legislation. In reality do they ever go after the insured for reimbursement or is there any point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

emeldc wrote: »
    I had an idea it was covered by legislation. In reality do they ever go after the insured for reimbursement or is there any point.

Yeah, they do. It doesn't always happen but I have seen them do it

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

emeldc wrote: »
    You better give us a proper legal link for that one.

Axa car policy FAQ

https://www.axa.ie/help/topic/car-insurance/

Unfortunately no, by law you are not allowed to drive on your own if you hold a provisional Irish licence or learner permit.

For your own safety you must always be accompanied by a fully licenced driver, who has held their full licence for a minimum of 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

My elderly uncle has a scooter for going into town for the paper, chemist etc. Never had a claim in his life. AXA wanted 350 insurance from him. I found alternative online 90 cheaper. It makes me mad to see an OAP getting ripped off.

emeldc wrote:

Not usually. There is little point in spending an additional 10k to try and recover money from someone of little means. The MIBI on the other hand are starting to seek judgements from uninsured drivers to recover claims they have to pay.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

madmaggie wrote:
    My elderly uncle has a scooter for going into town for the paper, chemist etc. Never had a claim in his life. AXA wanted 350 insurance from him. I found alternative online 90 cheaper. It makes me mad to see an OAP getting ripped off.

Well done. If everyone shopped around as you did loads of money could be saved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Insurers will make the presumption that a driver with a learner's permit, who owns his own car, will drive alone and charge a premium to reflect this

So the insurers are condoning illegal activity to get a premium. We now have standardised EU licences, and learner permits. Yet in every other country you can't drive on a permit, in the UK the car will be lifted as by being unaccompanied you don't have a licence and therefore no insurance, but here the insurance company allow law breaking

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Del2005 wrote: »
    So the insurers are condoning illegal activity to get a premium. We now have standardised EU licences, and learner permits. Yet in every other country you can't drive on a permit, in the UK the car will be lifted as by being unaccompanied you don't have a licence and therefore no insurance, but here the insurance company allow law breaking

The insurance company isn't allowing law breaking or condoning anything. All insurance companies operating in Ireland are required by law to pay out on 3rd party claims for unaccompanied drivers who are insured by them. This is in place to protect innocent people that are crashed into by an unaccompanied driver.

After the claim has been paid to the 3rd party they can then sue the unaccompanied driver to get their money back.

Del2005 wrote: »

The policyholder declares to the insurer that they will honour their licence. It is called utmost good faith and must be accepted unless they have proof to the contrary. They don't condone the the practice of driving without a qualified driver, but charge the appropriate premium to cover the increased risk

The UK operates the same system as we do in compensating 3rd parties, even if a driver has breached his licencing conditions, so if you have a problem with not enough cars not being 'lifted' here, that is a matter you should take up with the Gardai as it has absolutely nothing to do with insurance companies

Advertisement