Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Me and luas tracks aren't compatible

Options
  • 24-10-2017 7:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭

Well guys, after saying elsewhere that the luas tracks weren't a bother I came a cropper this evening....
    A miracle I survived!

I was coming over O Connell Bridge onto O'Connell Street and got caught in the tracks. I fell off with a big bus behind me.
    Thankfully the driver moved left and I just ended up being pulled along the side of the bus due to friction. ... Those wheels are BIG :eek:

I'm sore and have a bloody knee but know it could have been a lot worse.

Tomorrow could be a different story!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Well guys, after saying elsewhere that the luas tracks weren't a bother I came a cropper this evening....
    A miracle I survived!

I was coming over O Connell Bridge onto O'Connell Street and got caught in the tracks. I fell off with a big bus behind me.
    Thankfully the driver moved left and I just ended up being pulled along the side of the bus due to friction. ... Those wheels are BIG :eek:

I'm sore and have a bloody knee but know it could have been a lot worse.

Tomorrow could be a different story!

Mustn't have been wearing your #HIVIS !

Seriously though glad you're relatively ok. I get the sweats just watching other people negotiate the LUAS tracks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Mustn't have been wearing your #HIVIS !

Seriously though glad you're relatively ok. I get the sweats just watching other people negotiate the LUAS tracks.

Had a luminous cycle jacket, see sense on the rear and a leyzene front light. .. thankfully the bus driver saw them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Sounds terrifying. Well done to the bus driver for reacting quickly to the unexpected.

Hope you recover physically and get over the shock soon, normally the shock is a bit of a delayed reaction.

Went to the mater this morning after my boss hearing what happened and sending me home.
    Bruising on the leg ( from the pedal I assume) and off work for the rest of the week.
    I'm back in the hospital on Friday. They are worried about the brusing as Im on warfarin.
    Drove in today and went cold passing the spot.
    Note to self, avoid tracks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

On the subject of Luas tracks, does anyone know if it's legal to drive straight on at the junction of Parnell Street and Parnell Square West (at the Rotunda Hospital corner)?

The reason I ask is that a you have to cross two sets of tram tracks there to make the right turn. But in order to do so safely, you have to wait until you're almost opposite the junction and then make a sharp right. Normally it's fine as motorised traffic will also be turning right there and you're sort of ahead of them and on their left as they make the turn.

This morning, just as I was about to turn, a car passed me and went straight on giving me a bit of a startle as I wasn't expecting it. I had my right arm out and had slowed right down to cross the tracks. I must check the next time I'm there but I thought that after that junction, it was a dedicated Luas only area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Its dedicated to the Luas but further down there is a parallel entry point for delivery vehicles to Tesco, Chapters, Kingfisher etc, so no doubt you'll get some delivery guy chancing his arm and going straight.

It's a tricky junction. Problems can be avoided by taking the lane early and crossing the tracks to the left of the square.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭wannabecraig

Were you wearing a helmet?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Knee pads might have been more useful! :)

Shin guards would have been more useful in my case and one of those motor bike jackets with the steel backs on them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

would have just raised his centre of gravity, making him even more unstable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

So happy I cycle a mountain bike with 29" wheels, too big for the tracks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

A miracle I survived!

Sorry to hear that and I'm glad you weren't killed (to state the obvious) but your story highlights the main danger with the Luas tracks; motor vehicles driving along them. People fall on tram tracks all the time and, to a certain extent, it's an acceptable risk. However, where things get deadly dangerous is when vehicle drivers tailgate cyclists - driving too close to react if the cyclist takes a spill.

Just thought I'd update you.
    My leg got a worse bashing than I thought.
    I had to go back to the mater clinic on Monday after a friend whose a nurse saw it and thought it was infected.
    Anyway, saw the doctor who thought the same and he wanted me to go to the main a+e for bloods. He phoned ahead and they knew I was coming and once triaged I was brought straight in for blood tests. Within a few minutes I saw a doctor, then the registrar and when the consultant heard I was there he came in to examine me and did a ultrasound.
    End result was no infection but a lot of blood under the skin. They could drain it but with being on warfarin it means a week in hospital and a risk of clotting.
    I'm back with the consultant tomorrow for follow up but it's going to be a long road to recovery.

Ah man wish you all the best and speedy recovery!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Speedy recovery tatranska, a+e when you're battered can be a trauma in itself

Advertisement